Book Collecting

arod31

Can anyone tell me about a Book of Mormon with a gold foil cover with hieroglyphic characters?

It's a standard Book of Mormon but the cover is modeled after the characters written on the Anthon transcript.

For a while (I wanna say just before the '81 printing) the Church published some with pictures of American artifacts. I think your gold book comes from that publishing (I can look when I get home, but that does you little good).

I have just purchased Mormon Doctrine. ... Any comments on the book Mormon Doctrine?

Quoted from There are Save Two Churches Only (A book I recommend)

Bruce R. McConkie and The Mormon Doctrine Saga

“When the time comes that you are called in and rebuked for something that you did that was right and proper, you stand and take it, you offer no excuses just take it.” – Bruce R. McConkie; advice to his son, Joseph Fielding McConkie

Even if they don't own a copy of it, most Latter-Day Saints are familiar with a hefty volume called Mormon Doctrine by Bruce R. McConkie, who was a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy when he wrote and published it. It is truly a spectacular and extensive resource outlining how the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints applies on a topic-by-topic basis.

Interesting enough, though, when it was first published in 1958 it garnered a great deal of controversy, and was subsequently pulled from shelves in early 1960. Later a revised edition was published and released several years later. A great deal of speculation went on as to why that occurred – for a volume with a title of Mormon Doctrine is no small matter. In December of 2003, Bruce R. McConkie's son, Joseph Fielding McConkie published a biographical recollection of his father called The Bruce R. McConkie Story: Reflections of a Son. An entire chapter, called The Mormon Doctrine Saga, is dedicated to telling the story of what happened with the book's first publication, why it was pulled, and what was changed upon its re-release. The following represents relevant segments of this chapter

Mod edit... See rule 10

Edited by estradling75
Rule 10

I collect books, nothing really specific, once I read a book (rather a novel) I usually give it to good will, as they pile up very quickly. Especially if they are larger, like my Bible which is bigger then a large laptop computer, can't bring it anywhere.

I abhor e-readers and generally dislike books on mp3, funny yet annoying story arose from that. Had the Book of Mormon in its whole on my mp3 player/phone, I had to rename every file so the phone would play them properly, (so it'd go like 1. 1 Nephi 01) however, I had somehow forgotten to remove the other audio book, The Fungi of Yoggoth by HP Lovecraft, and since I didn't go into the folder, but from the list, they stack, so interrupting it, out of nowhere, came a story about a hill that ate a village... I'm sure that story will be funny one day.

I think I'll stick to books on paper from now on.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry that it has been a long time from my last post. I have just gotten a new book. Its Family Ties A Message for Fathers by L. Tom Perry. I have not finished reading this book, but from the first chapter I can say that it is good. Again I love anything that will make be a better husband, father and priesthood holder.

I have collected the Student Book of Mormon Institute manuals; I have the 613 page 1981 version, the 184 page 1996 version, and the 439 page 2009 version.

I have a Kindle, so I’ve been converting several of my books on that, but the reference books, like commentaries, that are referenced a lot, like Mormon Doctrine, where a book will say, ‘see Mormon Doctrine page 134’, well, I can’t since Kindle doesn’t keep the same page numbering system as the hard (or paper) back book. I also have an impossible time wanting to pay $8-10 for an e-book, when I can go to Amazon, and pay, with shipping and handling included, $4, for a used mass-market paperback book.