WOW: Convert Obesity

I am a recent convert, but spoke with missionaries for about 8 months prior to joining. I am also over 100 pounds overweight and 6'2. Before I was baptized the missionaries reminded me of the WOW and made me agree to take care better care of my body with what I eat and how I condition it. With most people in my part of the country being overweight, I wonder if the missionaries here focus on this aspect of the WOW more then it sound like its done in outside of Appalachia. I am down a few pounds, but it is hard.

Edited by waywardsciotosaint

I hope I am not offensive but I want to ask you a question. In looking back over your life, is there any repressed emotion that you have been unable to give up to the Savior?

Have you ever been seriously emotionally wounded? Does anger or hatred for others poison your heart? Repressed grief or tremendous sorrow?

There are those who exercise regularly and eat healthily yet still are bound to obesity. In my knowledge, this would be because obesity can be caused by multiple factors one of which is emotional.

Once you are comfortable in the process of receiving personal revelation and being worthy to receive answers to your prayers know how to discern the touch of the Lord when he answers, perhaps you might bring such a topic up with him. What are the causes of your being over weight? Is it emotional? Lack of exercise? To much food or too much of certain foods? The wrong kinds of foods?

Once you know the causes, you can then start working on a solution. It is hard to loose weight but perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are trying to move a huge boulder with our shoulder or are we receiving divine aid from the Lord via a bulldozer.

I want the bulldozer =).

Martain thanks for your response. I was only curious if other missionaries are focusing on healthy lifestyle as much as mine. I do have a plan in place that includes pray. I am overweight because I eat more then I exert. That being said I can be pretty physical, placed at 1/2 marathon (13.1 mile run) not to long ago in a category for larger runners at Marshall University. Obesity is common in my family and I was a fat child, emotionally food is not attractive to me for negative reason (my parents were awesome) but I can relate it too positive things such as an expression of love from family.

Yes, we should all do our best to take good care of our bodies but missionaries addressing one's weight issues (you're too fat -- lose weight, or you're too thin -- gain weight) is walking on thin ice. Some real emotional and psychological damage can be done when someone is told that they'd better shape-up (again, lose weight or gain weight) or else they fall short. Personally, I don't think missionaries have any business telling anyone that they should lose or gain weight. They're not there to tell you to get a hair cut, or to dress less like a slob, or to stop eating pizza because it'll pollute your body -- that's not their purpose. Missionaries are there to teach the gospel and help strengthen testimonies.

There are a lot of good members of the church that are not skinny for various reasons. I know of at least one apostle that is not anywhere near skinny. Or at least he wasnt. We all have our 'crosses' to bear and weight is one for many of us but it is not the most important thing in life.

Work on your spirituality. When we leave this life the only thing that is going with us is our spirit. Not one ounce of fat is making it to the spirit world. It is just not as important as we tend to view it. Not saying you should not work on being healthy but its not the top priority.

I am appreciative of the Elders for bringing it up actually, it was done in a way of concern not down putting. Even a Prophet is not perfect, but he can strive to progress in every way like the rest of us.

Well I'm relieved to hear that you did not take offense nor were you hurt by their approach. That said, it is no missionaries place to address such matters. They are there to teach the gospel and strengthen testimonies, period.

Well I'm relieved to hear that you did not take offense nor were you hurt by their approach. That said, it is no missionaries place to address such matters. They are there to teach the gospel and strengthen testimonies, period.

The purpose of a missionary is to:

Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.

Link: Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service What Is My Purpose as a Missionary?

Edited by Dravin

Thank you, Dravin. That explains more of what fits into "teach the gospel and strengthen testimonies". I think treading on other subjects, such as telling an obese person to lose the fat or telling an anorexic/bulimic to eat more, is harmful. Those are topics best discussed and consulted with a physician or at the very least a counselor/nutritionist.

I am appreciative of the Elders for bringing it up actually, it was done in a way of concern not down putting. Even a Prophet is not perfect, but he can strive to progress in every way like the rest of us.

I like your view about this. I've never heard of such a focus but I doubt the church would require this of missionaries, but I believe a mission president could... regardless, the important thing is your attitude of Christ and the Gospel,... recognizing the spirits message for you no matter how it's delivered, tho this one seems like a "brick with a message" from where I sit.

May you be blessed in your path to Christ. ;)