44, new convert, divorced no kids

Welcome to the fold. At this time, I would not worry to much. As you exercise faith, continue in the gospel truth, your heart and mind may change (emphasis on "may").

We have women in the Church who have never been married in this life. If they lived a righteous and worthy life the Lord will not hold any blessing from them in the after life.

• 4 weeks later...

You do need to be married to reach the top social tier and then its your duty to offer marriage advice to all single people, while keeping your pity in check.

I appreciate that you have no desire to be married for the sake of being married, unlike a large portion of our culture. God knows your circumstances.

It's like Mormon IPA.

Regardless of Praetorian Brow's sarcastic reply, the doctrine of the LDS church is thus:

Doctrine and Covenants 131

1. In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage];

3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.

So, this means that in order to obtain the Celestial Kingdom, one does not have to enter in the the new and everlasting covenant of marriage (we typically call this celestial marriage, temple marriage, sealing). One who is not sealed to a spouse will reside in the lower 2 levels of the Celestial Kingdom. In order to obtain the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom, one must be sealed to a spouse.

We don't know much about these levels of the Celestial Kingdom. We have been taught that in order to live with Heavenly Father, we must be in the Celestial Kingdom, but (as far as I know) it has not been revealed if Heavenly Father will reside in all levels of the CK or just in the highest level.

Everyone will see God no matter what kingdom to be judged. Maybe you can have a chat with him about your marriage prospects their if you don't feel inclined to be married here. Perhaps they will have speed dating up there. On a side note I hope we don't all have to wear glowing white gowns you see depicted on the videos and pictures. I would be talking to God about splashing a little color around or hiring an interior designer. :)

I thought there was a distinction made between not having the opportunity to marry in this life and deliberately choosing not to be married in this life.

Also, regarding the answer that there will be an opportunity to be married by proxy in the next life...if someone doesn't marry in this life, who is the proxy going to be sealed to? Some random person? How is that decision made and by whom?

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven." Matt 22.30

In the resurrection there will be no marrying nor giving in marriage; for all questions of marital status must be settled before that time, under the authority of the Holy Priesthood, which holds the power to seal in marriage for both time and eternity. Talmage Jesus the Christ

I thought there was a distinction made between not having the opportunity to marry in this life and deliberately choosing not to be married in this life.

Also, regarding the answer that there will be an opportunity to be married by proxy in the next life...if someone doesn't marry in this life, who is the proxy going to be sealed to? Some random person? How is that decision made and by whom?

First, God will be the Judge in all things, but it would seem appropriate that if someone had a clear choice to be married and refused, then he/she would not be able to attain the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom. Again, we cannot judge that someone has had an opportunity because we certainly don't know all the circumstances of someone.

Second, as far as it has been revealed, no one can be married by proxy in the next life. As it is right now, only people who were already married and then died, can someone serve as proxy for them so they can be sealed to each other. We cannot marry two single people by proxy after death.

What we have been taught is that for those who die single and remain righteous will have the opportunity to be married at some point. Again, this is different than having people stand in proxy to be married. That may or may not be the avenue which the Lord chooses to allow these righteous individuals to be married, but as it stands right now, no one stands in proxy to have single people married who were not married while alive.