Is it urban legend that we will live the law of consecration in the last days?

Bananikka

We at least, those of us who have been through the temple) are currently under covenant to live the Law of Consecration; but not the United Order. A barter economy is neither a necessary feature of the Law of Consecration generally, nor the United Order in particular.

Here is a good primer on the subject.

I just looked up united order.. It doesn't look like that's something we're doing now. Why do you say that? Thanks for your thoughts! :)

The United Order isn't something we're living now, we are living the Law of Consecration now. Sorry if my phrasing wasn't clear. Many times when people ask why we aren't living the Law of Consecration or about living it at some future date they are asking it because we aren't living the United Order. The question is underlain by a conflation of the two things, it's akin to asking me why I don't drive a car because I don't drive a Toyota anymore. The truth of it is I do drive a car, just not a Toyota.

But rather bartering and trading Amungst ourselves. (Our services, crops, physical goods...)

As JAG points out the equation of the Law of Consecration (or the United Order) with a barter economy is not something I'm sure I agree with.

Edited by Dravin

Hi Bananikka,

There are some LDS who believe strongly that sometime soon, the prophet will issue a "callout" to all faithful saints to travel (by foot if necessary) to Salt Lake City. They tend to believe this will preceed or coincide with some global catastrophy involving falling governments and whatnot. They tend to believe they'll be camping in the Rocky Mountains for a year, living the United Order during that time. Some of them even believe there are active plans in the church involving stake presidents and bishops, organizing people into companies of fifty, and whatnot.

They believe these things, even though a few GA's and an apostle or two have been specifically asked about their beliefs, and the church leaders all chuckle and say there is no such belief or plan in church leadership. The church's advice to "gather at the stakes of Zion" still stands, and there are no plans to change that advice at this time.

They have similarities with survivalist folks and conspiracy theorists. One group is led by a guy named Roger Young (I think he claims to be a descendant of Brigham Young). They even set a few specific dates for the callout to happen (dates which all have come and gone a few years ago.) For all I know they're still off placing new dates and trying to keep their RV's loaded, with the most up-to-date Rocky Mountain maps in their GPS systems. You can't really tell, because the website they run demands you fork over money to view the forums and articles.

I consider those folks nuts.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Hi Bananikka,

There are some LDS who believe strongly that sometime soon, the prophet will issue a "callout" to all faithful saints to travel (by foot if necessary) to Salt Lake City. They tend to believe this will preceed or coincide with some global catastrophy involving falling governments and whatnot. They tend to believe they'll be camping in the Rocky Mountains for a year, living the United Order during that time. Some of them even believe there are active plans in the church involving stake presidents and bishops, organizing people into companies of fifty, and whatnot.

They believe these things, even though a few GA's and an apostle or two have been specifically asked about their beliefs, and the church leaders all chuckle and say there is no such belief or plan in church leadership. The church's advice to "gather at the stakes of Zion" still stands, and there are no plans to change that advice at this time.

They have similarities with survivalist folks and conspiracy theorists. One group is led by a guy named Roger Young (I think he claims to be a descendant of Brigham Young). They even set a few specific dates for the callout to happen (dates which all have come and gone a few years ago.) For all I know they're still off placing new dates and trying to keep their RV's loaded, with the most up-to-date Rocky Mountain maps in their GPS systems. You can't really tell, because the website they run demands you fork over money to view the forums and articles.

I consider those folks nuts.

I will point out, Loudmouth has shown, how many different views there are about how the end will come about. His view is very different than mine in some ways. I have come to the conclusion that its one of those things we will only really know when it happens. SO MANY views exists. I don't know how it will happen.

However, I will state my view that I think is most likely in my mind (I have many lol ). I don't believe there will be a callout, I believe the ten virgin parable of the 5 wise and 5 foolish will be fulfilled by not having a callout. Those 10 "will be left with the ilght within themselves" to gather to safety following the spirit as Lehi did through the wilderness. OR angels will guide them (or both) so this is why the 5 wise were able to get into the event. The slothful servants (inside and outside the church) will be killed off due to NO food storage (the year of famine). Its our noah's ark in our day.

Go read 4th Nephi. Its a ZION society. In this case Zion (consecration) was brought about AFTER the calamities and appearance of Christ. But in the New Testament, Christ tells us, as it was in the days of noah, it will be in the coming of the Son of Man. What was around during that time?

A SMALL FEW who had their noah's arks (Benson, Brigham Young... have all stated its our FOOD STORAGE along with spiritual preparedness of course) and the city of Enoch who sanctified themselves (translation) BEFORE the flood came. They progressed into the law of consecration. Its all within our reach to learn its principles and begin to apply them now. The biggest TRAIT of the law of Conecration, is to FOLLOW the SPIRIT in ALL things. By so doing so, we can LIVE it NOW. Its very different than the law of sacrifice (which includes your own life).

We are NOT living it now. Not even close. We are under covenant to do so (willing heart) but we are not even close to doing so nor are the people capable yet (as a society). Its not lived in an instant but rather line upon line. The calamites, trials, tests, carthage jails, martydom, of the soon to be future (worse than the pioneers had, -McConkie) will all weed out those who won't be able to endure and progress into a Zion community (tares). The united order has similarities but it will not be a Zion community. Go read about what Zion is and how it functions to understand this. There are lots of material. The only place we can have a Zion place is our OWN family (homes). We can do all we can to make it a holy place.

Thats not to say all those who die are wicked, many righteous will die for Chris'ts sake, "he that findeth his life shall lose it, he that loseth his life shall find it". They will be saved in Christ.

Zion: "all things are common among them", "pure in heart", "sanctified",...

We at least, those of us who have been through the temple) are currently under covenant to live the Law of Consecration;

JaG's link is definitely a good one.

“We are not always called upon to live the whole law of consecration and give all of our time, talents, and means to the building up of the Lord’s earthly kingdom. Few of us are called upon to sacrifice much of what we possess, and at the moment there is only an occasional martyr in the cause of revealed religion.

“But what the scriptural account means is that to gain celestial salvation we must be able to live these laws to the full if we are called upon to do so. Implicit in this is the reality that we must in fact live them to the extent we are called upon so to do. . . .

“Now I think it is perfectly clear that the Lord expects far more of us than we sometimes render in response. We are not as other men. We are the saints of God and have the revelations of heaven. Where much is given much is expected. We are to put first in our lives the things of his kingdom.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1975, pp. 74–76; or Ensign, May 1975, pp. 50–51.)

“We are not always called upon to live the whole law of consecration and give all of our time, talents, and means to the building up of the Lord’s earthly kingdom. Few of us are called upon to sacrifice much of what we possess, and at the moment there is only an occasional martyr in the cause of revealed religion.

“But what the scriptural account means is that to gain celestial salvation we must be able to live these laws to the full if we are called upon to do so. Implicit in this is the reality that we must in fact live them to the extent we are called upon so to do. . . .

“Now I think it is perfectly clear that the Lord expects far more of us than we sometimes render in response. We are not as other men. We are the saints of God and have the revelations of heaven. Where much is given much is expected. We are to put first in our lives the things of his kingdom.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1975, pp. 74–76; or Ensign, May 1975, pp. 50–51.)

The law of consecration and the united order are celestial laws/programs. One who wants to live in a celestial sphere must be willing to obey the laws of that sphere. While we are not yet called to live this law fully, each of us should still search their hearts and determine whether or not they would be able to and willing to obey this law in full were it renewed in their lifetimes.

D&C Institute Student Manual.

“We know from the scriptures that Zion must be established again before the Savior comes. And we know from scripture that the law of consecration is the law upon which Zion will operate.”

Isaiah 65:

17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the

former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a a

rejoicing, and her people a joy.

19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

23 They shall not labour in vain, nor bring forth for trouble; for they are the seed of the blessed of the Lord, and their offspring with them.

24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent’s meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the Lord.

The entire 4th chapter of Nephi is a type of Zion. It begins with what a Zion people had, how they progressed into Zion, and how Zion fell as it will again at the end of the millenium when the "final" war is opened up.

Hugh nibley has an amazing article about the book of Enoch (zion people), I think its on lds.org, go search for it. Its like a large multiple part series. Maybe it was on byu or maxwell insitutute. Don't remember. I can find it if interested. (try googling)