Hello There, "Question"

ValerieG1207

Hello All,

I am new to the site but not so new to the religion. I attended the LDS church when I was a child with my grandma and mom but when my grandma passed away when I was 13 I lost faith and fell out of the religion. Since becoming a newly single mom to a 2 year old little boy, I found that I was needing more for my son and I. Upon visiting many different churches in the past year and none of them feeling "right". I decided one night when the missionaries came to visit to give them a listen. After many lessons with them and attending church, I have found that this feels right to me and I feel it would be great for my son as well.

I have made the decision to be baptized on July 27th. I have been preparing for that day and I am anxiously awaiting it.

I have come on here in order to get a better understanding of the religion and others peoples views on it. I have noticed that since making the conscious decision to become a part of the church my family and friends have poked fun at my decision. Is there any others out there that have had similar experiences with this and how did you deal with it?

Valerie

Hi and welcome Valerie!

My father was pretty vocal about his disdain towards Mormons, and religion in general. It took a while to learn to deal with it, but in the end, I could see that he loved me, wanted what was best for me, and most importantly, was willing to accept the path I chose for myself. He always kept his antireligious thoughts and beliefs to his dying day, but it stopped being a sore spot between us. We accepted each other's stand on things, and moved on.

When someone you love pokes fun at you, there's a reason for it. Do they love you and worry you're making a mistake? Are they just jerks who mock what they don't understand? Hopefully, your friends and family are closer to the first end of the spectrum.

Maybe I should have been braver about it, but when I was baptized, I didn't go around telling everyone at work. Most people I work with are indifferent to religion, but you never know when someone will become hostile. And, indifferent for them doesn't mean indifferent towards you - I didn't want to hear a lot of flak from people questioning my motives, why I bothered joining a church, etc. As time passed, I told a couple of people, but you know, I'm not sure you have to go around with a big LDS on your forehead. Live your life, be truthful if someone asks, but you if people are giving you a hard time, you don't need to relate every aspect of your spiritual life to them.

I don't live around my relatives, so there was no reason to tell them. I eventually told my mother because she kept calling on Sundays when I was on my way to church. : )

I have noticed that since making the conscious decision to become a part of the church my family and friends have poked fun at my decision.

Sorry to hear that Valerie. The psychology behind it is that they feel insecure and afraid. Afraid of what? Afraid of you changing. They just need a little time to adjust and hey don't let their behavior change your decision and what is best for you and your son. Wish you well. :)

Congratulations on your decision to be baptized. You may find that there will be many distractions that are trying to point you in a different direction. Please do not let these distractions work. You are not the only one that knows that this is a good decision. The adversary knows it as well.

I imagine that the poking fun at your decision happens in a group setting, and probably happens because they are uncomfortable and afraid as mentioned by Suzie. I wonder if it would be helpful to talk with members of your family (privately, not in a group setting) and let them know why you are joining the Church. If you are able, share personal experiences (again doing this privately) of why you think the Church is good for you and your son.