Unsure about going back to the temple??

Marriageinprogress

My husband and I were married in the temple in the year 2000. We attended regularly for the first 7 years of our marriage and then didn't go hardly at all due to just not making it a priority.

We have had some pretty serious challenges arise in our marriage in the last several years and my testimony is very shaken.

My husband and I have been asked to meet with the Bishop to renew our temple recommends this Sunday and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't even know if I believe in the Church. My Bishop tells me I have a testimony. I serve in two callings in YW's but I still can't say for sure that it's true.

Should I wait?

Is it just me or don't we see that Pattern here? Marriage "challenges" comes when you stop going to the temple. Hmmmmm I wonder if that could be related?

Do you read the scriptures?

Have Family Home Evening?

Pray?

And you wonder where your testimony is gone too?

I, like your Bishop, do believe you had a testimony at one time, you just need to find it again!

Is it just me or don't we see that Pattern here? Marriage "challenges" comes when you stop going to the temple. Hmmmmm I wonder if that could be related?

Yep.. I knew that one was coming!!:closedeyes:

I do everything (read, pray,..) out of obedience but not necessarily wanting to. If that makes sense.

I don't wonder where my testimony has gone too. I understand that I am stubborn and have allowed pride and hurt to stand in the way of my progression and relationship with my Heavenly Father.

I guess my question to myself is "do I have enough of a testimony to answer the questions honestly to receive my temple recommend?"

Yep.. I knew that one was coming!!:closedeyes:

I do everything (read, pray,..) out of obedience but not necessarily wanting to. If that makes sense.

I don't wonder where my testimony has gone too. I understand that I am stubborn and have allowed pride and hurt to stand in the way of my progression and relationship with my Heavenly Father.

I guess my question to myself is "do I have enough of a testimony to answer the questions honestly to receive my temple recommend?"

When I went through a period of questioning and doubt a few years ago, it was time spent in the Temple that helped me cling to what bit of Testimony I had left. The Spirit was just SO strong there, it gave me the strength to endure the challenges I was facing, and have times of peace a midst the turmoil.

ETA: Go ahead and meet with your Bishop and be honest. My Bishop knew my concerns but also felt that access to the Temple would be more of a help to me than denied access.

When I went through a period of questioning and doubt a few years ago, it was time spent in the Temple that helped me cling to what bit of Testimony I had left. The Spirit was just SO strong there, it gave me the strength to endure the challenges I was facing, and have times of peace a midst the turmoil.

Thanks Jenamarie!

I have thought about it, that the temple might be just what I need to overcome some of my challenges. I'm just so worried about being unworthy and not having a good enough testimony to go in. I want to answer the temple recommend questions with confidence and I don't feel I can do that right now.

Thanks Jenamarie!

I have thought about it, that the temple might be just what I need to overcome some of my challenges. I'm just so worried about being unworthy and not having a good enough testimony to go in. I want to answer the temple recommend questions with confidence and I don't feel I can do that right now.

A Testimony doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, or "good enough". We're allowed to have a testimony of somethings while still lacking a testimony of others. The Gospel is a huge thing to grasp. "Line up line, precept upon precept" and all that, is how we learn and build a Testimony.

Matt 17:20 ...verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Good afternoon Marriageinprogress. I hope you are doing well! :)

Should I wait?

If your bishop is recommending that you go, then no, do not wait. If you have a temple recommend and are worthy go, do not wait. Go as soon as you can, go often, and do it for the rest of your life. The temple will bring out the godliness in you.

Regards,

Finrock

Answer the questions sincerely and honestly (regardless of what your answer is) and let your bishop be your judge. He can help you and he has the keys to discern your situation and provide counsel. If your bishop says yes, it means you can go and you ought to. :)

Regards,

Finrock

Answer the questions sincerely and honestly (regardless of what your answer is) and let your bishop be your judge. He can help you and he has the keys to discern your situation and provide counsel. If your bishop says yes, it means you can go and you ought to. :)

Regards,

Finrock

Thank you for your advice! I went in 6months ago for an interview so I could go participate with the youth in baptisms for the dead and answered all the question honestly and wasn't able to get my reccomend. I understood but it was really embarrassing.

Thank you for your advice!

You're welcome.

I went in 6months ago for an interview so I could go participate with the youth in baptisms for the dead and answered all the question honestly and wasn't able to get my reccomend. I understood but it was really embarrassing.

I can see how that could be embarrassing. But, I commend you for suffering through that embarressment for the sake of being honest. That is a virtue.

I know that in the past that I have been allowed to go to the temple even though I was struggling with some aspect of the temple recommend questions. I don't know your circumstances (and I don't mean to imply anything here either), but for me my feelings at the time were one of repentance and faith. Meaning, I was breaking commandments, but I did not have a crisis of faith in the sense that I was doubting the truth claims of the Church. In that situation the bishop and I agreed, provided I continue in repentance to change my life for good, that going to the temple will provide the spiritual power that would be helpful for me to overcome my sins.

Respectfully,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Politeness edit.

In my personal opinion, the reason that you're evening coming here to look for help is sort of an indication that you have something working inside of you, no? If you didn't have some sort of a testimony, or at least a little tiny bit of Faith built up inside, why would you even care? Why would you still be attending Church?

The Bishop is there to help you. And we are too, but as your Priesthood leader, the Bishop is entitled to the specific help and revelation that you need at this time. Continue with the three basic things that we're always asked to do: Read, Pray, and go to Church. As you're searching for a desire to even do those things, and meeting with your Bishop, you'll find the things that you're searching for.

UPDATE: I had my meeting and interview today with the Bishop. I was 100% honest and answered all the questions honestly. I figured the Bishop could go either way but he felt that I was ready and worthy of a temple recommend. I have a temple recommend!!

It's been years, I think 2008 since the last time I have been in the temple. I gave my temple dress away to a young sister that needed one, I guess I will have to find a new one ;)

Thanks everyone who gave me advice and words of encouragement.