Questions about Callings...

I was baptized on 8/11/2012 and am about to finish my first year as a convert. I have heard many things about the Bishopric normally wants to wait a year before taking a new convert out of Gospel Principles and Relief Society/Priesthood meetings. I have been in Gospel Doctrine for about 6 months now and am closing in on that year mark. I have grown discouraged due to other converts getting callings after 9 months and our recent converts receiving their first calling within a month of being "dunked". I have spoken with senior missionaries (before they left for home) and my Bishop. Unfortunately, there still has been no answer.

My questions are:

What was your first calling in the church?

How long were you a convert or member before being asked to serve?

What calling have you enjoyed the most?

Edited by SoaringEagle

I was 21 years inactive and had my first calling within....5 months of being active.

1st calling: Webeloes Leader

Favorite Calling: Young Men's Presidency and Scout Master ( I so did not want to be Scout Master, but miss it)

Current calling: Elder's Quorum President

Callings in 8 years and five months activity: Webeloes Leader, 11 year Old Scout leader, 2nd Counselor in YM, Scout Master, Gospel Doctrine Teacher, YSA Advisor, Stake Auditor and EQP. Some times I held multiple callings and some callings were short lived.....They are all good and were great experiences in hind sight.

Edited by bytor2112

SoaringEagle, I'd suggest you gently remind your bishop that you are eager and-as far as you know-ready to serve in whatever capacity he'd like you to serve in. Your bishop may have his reasons for having you wait; but it's also possible that he just hasn't noticed that you don't have a calling yet.

I grew up as a Mormon, so I had a couple of age-group-specific jobs; but my first grown-up calling was as an assistant finance clerk in the student ward I was attending. Favorite callings so far are a toss-up between 11-year-old primary teacher and gospel doctrine instructor.

My first calling was activities committee, which my husband was also called to, within the first couple months of joining. When that calling was eliminated I was called to, as the first counsellor put it "Relief Society extra meetings helper or whatever we are calling Homemaking nowadays" Lol. I am the Laurel advisor now, I have to admit I do miss relief society but I am learning a lot. My favourite calling was activities committee, our ward always called couples to it since they figured that people always get their spouses to help anyway. I am not very outgoing so it gave me a reason to go to activities and a job to do there, it really helped me to get to know people and feel more comfortable. You can always remind the Bishop you are eager to serve, also talk to the Relief Society President, she likely has lots of service opportunities she can give you, and she can remind the Bishop about you as well.

If you have been a member for a year its a good time to be thinking about preparing to enter the temple, not having a calling to keep you busy is a good opportunity to focus on your own spiritual preparation.

My first calling was when I was a teenager and called to be the Beehive class president. Then Mia Maid class President and then Laurel. I don't even remember what my first "grown up" calling was. I think I was the Stake Young Adult President. I honestly don't remember. Too long ago.

Guest Doctrine

Assistant to the elders quorum president, I pretty much just went to meetings he could not due to time restraints and a home teacher supervisor. But my favorite calling I ever had was gospel doctrine teacher.

My first grown-up calling was a made up calling in a BYU singles ward "Fast & Testimony Coordinator." I served as a deacon's quorum secretary. I am a member since birth.

My favorite calling, teaching the 8-9 year olds in primary. They are newly baptized members and eager to learn.

Guest ArchangelKid

I was baptized 5 months ago, but received my calling a month ago as YSA representative. Which is awesome, because I love all of my YSA's and I was already great friends with most of them.

First calling Sunday School President about 6 months or so after I was baptized.

Favorite calling: LDS Chaplin at a Federal Prison. I was the Churches representative at this prison and went there each Sunday for an hour and a half to teach a class (Gospel Principles) and counsel the men.

My first calling was about a week after my baptism- RS activities committee. I was just released (after almost two years) because I just moved to a new ward. I am curious to see what my new calling will be. I am ready for something different.

If you feel that you are ready to serve, there is nothing wrong with talking to the Bishop about this. However, they may already have something in mind for you, but it sometimes takes a while to get everything else in place.

My most favorite calling - Young Mens President.

My least Favorite - Young Mens president.

I loved what I was doing, working with the youth, but the time commitment made it one of the most difficult.

Guest NoraSariah

Oddly enough, I just got my very first calling last week. I've been a member of the Church for exactly 10 months tomorrow. Take into consideration that the leaders in the Church call upon God for guidance, so it's okay if you haven't gotten one yet. It's different for everybody.

I go to a YSA branch, so I'm called to help with FHE, Break the Fast, and activities after building cleanings. It's different, and sometimes a challenge, but I like it. :)

Heavenly Father? I come before you this night with my heart heavy and hurting for I feel as though I have been forgotten. You know that in my heart is the desire to serve within the kingdom and although I wait for such to be extended, none has.

Where do I fit into thy plan Lord? Lord I beseech thee, where is my place and how may I be of service unto thee? Have I a part and if so what is it? Is there any calling you would see fit to give me? If so, would you please inspire my Bishop to extend such unto me?

Father, if it is wisdom in thee that I thus remain without a calling then will you grant me a measure of patience that I might wait patiently? Is there something wrong in me? Do I lack something? You know my heart and you know my desire to serve. Please father, I want to be of use. Please help me.

Truly we have a loving father in heaven who hears and answers our prayers. I know how you feel brother for once I felt the same. Having left the church for a season I too returned and with the fire of conviction burning bright sorrowed when days turned into months and no calling was given.

It was not long after offering a prayer similar to the one I wrote above that I was indeed given a calling. I found it very humorous when the thing the Lord gave me was a calling very much in line with my weaknesses rather than my strengths and also completely opposite from anything I would have thought to ask him to give me.

Thus it is my counsel to you to pour out your heart to the Lord in sincere and faith filled prayer. Then meet with your Bishop and remind him of your desire to serve and ask him if he would remember you in his prayers. Then, having done these things, with patience wait for the hand of the Lord to be revealed.

Sincerely,

Brother M.

Thank you all for your responses, kind words, and advice. My Bishop has been out of town and I will be scheduling a meeting with him this Sunday. There are a few things I need to speak to him about so that will need to be the course of action. I have felt that I would be called in the nursery or primary because of the weakness part. I am a 30 year old single sister who has limited experience or time around the young children. Only recently have I started holding friend's children. I have 7 years of experience working with troubled teens.

Earlier this month, I did speak with my Bishop. I told him my thoughts and feelings about not having a calling. He had mentioned that he was going to speak to someone to see if they would work with me. Unfortunately, since time has passed and my analytical mind, I have analyzed these words and started having thoughts of why I haven't been called. This is not productive and is the adversary playing with my emotions.

• 5 weeks later...
Hidden

Unfortunately, since time has passed and my analytical mind, I have analyzed these words and started having thoughts of why I haven't been called. This is not productive and is the adversary playing with my emotions.

I know how that can be in an analytic mind. It most certainly has nothing to do with you. As much as this is the Lord's church, there are imperfect humans who are implementing it and sometimes imperfect humans forget, get busy, etc, especially if the Bishop was relaying something to the Primary or Relief Society.

In the auxiliaries (RS, Primary, Elders, etc), the President's of those organizations will pray and then ask the Bishop if they can call so-and-so to a particular position. Just talk to your Bishop again, express your enthusiasm and I'm sure you'll get a calling. Sometimes, even in the Lord's church the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Congratulations!!!! That's a great calling! But then, I'm smack dab in hurricane land...

My favorite calling: Nursery

My least favorite calling: Ward Missionary. But I've only been doing it a few months, so it might still grow on me. Any help/advice y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I was baptized on 8/11/2012 and am about to finish my first year as a convert. I have heard many things about the Bishopric normally wants to wait a year before taking a new convert out of Gospel Principles and Relief Society/Priesthood meetings. I have been in Gospel Doctrine for about 6 months now and am closing in on that year mark. I have grown discouraged due to other converts getting callings after 9 months and our recent converts receiving their first calling within a month of being "dunked". I have spoken with senior missionaries (before they left for home) and my Bishop. Unfortunately, there still has been no answer.

My questions are:

I was called as a deacon at 12. 4 years membership prior. The calling I enjoyed the most so far was my missionary calling at 19. If your wanting a calling keep letting your home teachers know and talk to the bishop every now and again about it. (bishops are pretty busy handling the ward... so one or two discussions might get moved to the backburner.)

My questions are:

That sounds about right. I've been in the church just over a year. I've not had any callings either. nor has anyone else I know who is a new member. In fact, no one in our ward including myself that has been with the church for less than 18 months even holds the priesthood. Then again, our ward has very few new members almost everone has been a life long member and those who haven't have been members well over ten years! Like you, at first this troubled me but I have since decided I'm not that bothered about holding the priesthood as if I did I have been told I would have to start off a deacon and end up being told what to do by a bunch of 12 year olds and sorry but no way I'm I going to play that game.

I would recommend contacting your Mission President. This isn't the way it's supposed to be.

Typically, new adult male converts are interviewed quickly after baptism and confirmation to receive the Aaronic Priesthood and ordained to the office of a Priest. They meet with the Elder's Quorum, not with the 16-17 year olds.

Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep - general-conference

I have said before, and I repeat it, that every new convert needs three things:

• A friend in the Church to whom he can constantly turn, who will walk beside him, who will answer his questions, who will understand his problems.
  • An assignment. Activity is the genius of this Church. It is the process by which we grow. Faith and love for the Lord are like the muscle of my arm. If I use them, they grow stronger. If I put them in a sling, they become weaker. Every convert deserves a responsibility. The bishop may feel that he is not qualified for responsibility. Take a chance on him. Think of the risk the Lord took when He called you.

Of course the new convert will not know everything. He likely will make some mistakes. So what? We all make mistakes. The important thing is the growth that will come of activity.

As a part of this process of giving responsibility, it is proper and very important that the new convert, if he be a man, is ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. Then before too many months, he may be ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. He will have the fellowship of the elders quorum. He will become one of a vast body of priesthood throughout the world, men of integrity and faith who love the Lord and seek to move forward His work.

• Every convert must be “nourished by the good word of God” (Moro. 6:4). It is imperative that he or she become affiliated with a priesthood quorum or the Relief Society, the Young Women, the Young Men, the Sunday School, or the Primary. He or she must be encouraged to come to sacrament meeting to partake of the sacrament, to renew the covenants made at the time of baptism.

Not long ago, I listened to a man and woman who spoke in my home ward. This man had served in many capacities in the Church, including that of bishop. Their most recent assignment was to fellowship a single mother and her children. He stated that it was the most joyful of all his Church experiences.

This young woman was full of questions. She was filled with fear and anxiety. She did not wish to make a mistake, to say anything that was out of line that might embarrass her or cause others to laugh. Patiently this man and his wife brought the family to church, sat with them, put a shield around them, as it were, against anything that might happen to embarrass them. They spent one evening a week with them at their home, teaching them further concerning the gospel and answering their many questions. They led that little family along as a shepherd leads his sheep. Eventually, circumstances dictated that they move to another city. “But,” he stated, “we still correspond with that woman. We feel a great appreciation for her. She is now firmly grounded in the Church, and we have no fear concerning her. What a joy it has been to work with her.”

I would recommend contacting your Mission President. This isn't the way it's supposed to be.

Typically, new adult male converts are interviewed quickly after baptism and confirmation to receive the Aaronic Priesthood and ordained to the office of a Priest. They meet with the Elder's Quorum, not with the 16-17 year olds.

Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep - general-conference

That's interesting. I did ask why I would have to become a deacon and was told "everyone starts off that way" As for it taking over a year before receiving the Aaronic priesthood I was told "it verys from ward to ward but a year was about average for new members". That said I do know one guy who recived it only ten months after being confirmed so I know exceptions can be made. That said, even he has had to become a deacon and now tells me he's had enough and plans to leave. With that in mind I'm happy to just attend church and leave all this pomp and hierarchical claptrap to others :)