Ask a Catholic

andypg

I was inspired by a thread in another forum I'm a member of.

Ever had a question about Catholics/Catholicism that you'd like answered? Now's your chance.

(Note, I'm not trying to convert, but instead engage in interfaith dialogue and answer questions you may have about another faith).

I think these are important conversations to have. I think we need to learn about each other. I think we would find we have more similarities than differences. As long as the conversation remains respectful on both sides.

I think these are important conversations to have. I think we need to learn about each other. I think we would find we have more similarities than differences. As long as the conversation remains respectful on both sides.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is much we can learn from each other and that is what I want to do by starting this thread, so that LDS can learn about Catholicism through a Catholic. We Catholics are like Mormons in that we get, unfortunately, a bad reputation and our beliefs tend to be distorted.

As Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, America's first "televangelist" said:

"There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church."

So please, ask away anything you'd like to know or always wondered about us crazy Catholics.

Welcome! I have two questions for ya:

1) What do you believe happened to the apostles leading the Church? One of the things I found appealing about the LDS Church was that it is headed by living apostles, just like the New Testament Church. In the Catholic Church, the leadership is headed by Bishops. I've never really understood how/when/why that change occurred (in the LDS Church, bishops are the heads of local congregations), and I'd be interested in your understanding as a Catholic.

2) Do you believe that revelation from God ended with the death of the apostles? I know many Christians do, I'm wondering how you as a Catholic understand how God interacts with man.

APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION

Regarding the Apostles, we Catholics believe that as thy passed away, they were replaced. These men became bishops. As their ministry spread, more bishops were appointed so that they can lead a particular region. Now bishops are the ones in charge of a geographic region. For example, Timothy Dolan is the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of New York, meaning he's responsible for Catholics in the New York area. Bishops are descended from the Apostles. In fact, this is called "Apostolic Succession".

The pope, currently Pope Francis, is the successor of St. Peter.

REVELATION

We do believe that the canon of scripture is closed. However, we don't deny that God can and does still speak today. St. Francis of Assissi started his mission when, while praying in a church, he heard Christ say, "Francis,rebuild My Church."

We also believe in something called "Marian Aparitions" which is when the Blessed Virgin Mary comes to people on earth. Some examples of approved apparitions are Our Lady of Fatima and Our Lady of Lourdes.

Revelation and aparitions that come to only one person or a snall groupare known as private revelation. As long as the information given from God/Christ/Mary isn'tblasphemous or against Scripture, Tradition and Church teaching, a Catholic is free to believe or not believe in it.

If you are interested in this, look into Our Lady of Fatima as well as St. Faustina (her diary is full or visions of Christ).

APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION

Regarding the Apostles, we Catholics believe that as thy passed away, they were replaced. These men became bishops. As their ministry spread, more bishops were appointed so that they can lead a particular region. Now bishops are the ones in charge of a geographic region. For example, Timothy Dolan is the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of New York, meaning he's responsible for Catholics in the New York area. Bishops are descended from the Apostles. In fact, this is called "Apostolic Succession".

Okay, I have to start with a disclaimer. Jason_J and myself have been devout Catholics longer than we've been LDS...

But, let's just follow this question through. I have my own answer to this, but I would like to hear your opinion.

So... when/how did the office of Apostle get merged with the office of Bishop?

This is a good one:

How is praying the rosary/prayers of the stations of the cross/novena for the souls of the departed/etc. not vain repetitious prayers?

(I think this is one of the most common questions a Catholic encounters.)

Getting word from the Pope

The Vatican has a spokesman and they hold press conferences. The Pope also does general audiences with different groups where he can also make announcements. The vatican also has its own website (vatican.va)

When the Vatican announced Popes John Paul II and John XXIII were going to be canonized, they did so thrugh the Vatican spokesman.

When they released Pope Francis's first encyclical last week, Lumen Fidei, they did so at a press conference and right after released the encyclical on the Vatican website, where most people read it for the first time.

APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION

Thanks.

So when you say that the Bishops replaced the Apostles, do you believe that they had/have the same authority as the New Testament Apostles? What's the difference, if any, between Apostles and Bishops?

I thought of one. It is more administrative.

If the Pope announces something, is it passed down through levels of hierarchy until it reaches you in church? How is the announcement spread? Who do you hear it from?

In my diocese, we have a Catholic newspaper that spreads the word (Intermountain Catholic). There are also bulletins at Mass that have a section for all updates in the parish, diocese, and world of all things Catholic. In some instances announcements are given by the priest at Mass. I also am on the parish email list and get email updates that way. Most of the time the same information is in the Sunday bulletin. I pay attention to Catholic news services and blogs, off and on.

This is a good one:

How is praying the rosary/prayers of the stations of the cross/novena for the souls of the departed/etc. not vain repetitious prayers?

(I think this is one of the most common questions a Catholic encounters.)

I think a prayer can be repetitious without being "vain". The whole point of the Rosary and Stations is so that one can meditate of the Life of Christ during those prayers. As with anything, if you are not properly disposed and sincerely seeking God, no amount of repetition will have meaning.

Revelations tells us of the repetitive prayers of the angels at the throne of God, non-stop singing, "Holy, holy, holy...".

Welcome! I have two questions for ya:

1) What do you believe happened to the apostles leading the Church? One of the things I found appealing about the LDS Church was that it is headed by living apostles, just like the New Testament Church. In the Catholic Church, the leadership is headed by Bishops. I've never really understood how/when/why that change occurred (in the LDS Church, bishops are the heads of local congregations), and I'd be interested in your understanding as a Catholic.

2) Do you believe that revelation from God ended with the death of the apostles? I know many Christians do, I'm wondering how you as a Catholic understand how God interacts with man.

Didn't "apostle", in the Bible, specifically mean a man who walked with Christ and was with Him from the start? Was that not the criteria when they were replacing Judas?

I'm not a scholar, but I've always understood it to be that "revelation" ended, but that doesn't mean that the depth of our understanding of what had been revealed ended; for instance, the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Mother.

Perhaps it wasn't considered because there was no reason to consider it, but it was not declared "doctrine" until the 1800's. Maybe most people believed that she was immaculately conceived, but didn't have the words to articulate it. Through prayer and study of the Scriptures, the Church understood and formally declared her Immaculate Conception as a matter of faith for all Catholics.

May I ask how "revelation" happens for your president? Is it that God actually speaks to him, or is it a more deliberate and methodical study and prayer that bring him to one conclusion or another?

Also, is he limited on what is "infallible" (in Catholic speak)? For instance, the pope is limited to matters of faith and morals. Is the president only speaking as prophet in limited circumstances?

• 5 months later...
Hi friends,

I joined this forum because I am a member of Catholic Answers forums.

I thought this would be a nice place to discuss theology. I have a lot of LDS friends too.

I can answer some Catholic questions from time to time, since I see this posted.

Cheers!

Hiya KountC! Welcome.

CAF anti-mormons still vicious over there? :D

Yeah that place is horrible, you can't even have a good discussion there without histrionics.

You'll learn more about the actual beliefs of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints here than the caricatures over there. :)

I had just noticed, that these two churches are the most talked about it seems.

From both LDS and Catholic. communities most LDS friends I have are very curious of the church.

It had grabbed my attention when I was looking at the Catholic

Memes website on Facebook that there may be a LDS forum like CAF since there was a Mormon memes page

If you want to also get good information from an apologist, there is a website called

St. Michael Catholic Super Site, it is a site that is ran by a Catholic Hermit/Apologist,

he is very loyal in the faith, so you have to buckle up and hold on, you might get offended in the Q and A forums, that he has on the site. I've been offended several times; but it is what it is.

The site is mainly for Catholic apologetic s and spiritual deliverance from what I understand.

I got a question... to all Catholics on this forum...

What is your take on the emeritus status of Pope Benedict XVI? Do you think he should have persevered in the papacy or do you think it was good for him to step down?

I'm a little torn on this one. I love Pope Francis, don't get me wrong. But, I also loved Pope Benedict and thought he was doing a good job!

Pope Benedict from what I understand wanted to retire as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

before he was elected, he had spoke about retiring as a Cardinal before the papal election

However I personally wish that he had held the throne until death. Especially with the secular view points, that consider the Vatican some sort of democracy and do not comprehend the duty and title that we as Catholics recognize the Papal Chair to be.

In addition many of these conspiracy nuts, have no idea, that Cardinal Ratzinger had talked about retiring as Cardinal before he was elected pope

Which is hilarious when you look at many of the protestant conspiracy theorist that think the pope stepping down is going to cause mass rapture as a result.

Pope Benedict from what I understand wanted to retire as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger

before he was elected, he had spoke about retiring as a Cardinal before the papal election

However I personally wish that he had held the throne until death. Especially with the secular view points, that consider the Vatican some sort of democracy and do not comprehend the duty and title that we as Catholics recognize the Papal Chair to be.

In addition many of these conspiracy nuts, have no idea, that Cardinal Ratzinger had talked about retiring as Cardinal before he was elected pope

Which is hilarious when you look at many of the protestant conspiracy theorist that think the pope stepping down is going to cause mass rapture as a result.

Yes, he did say he was hoping to be Cardinal for the rest of his life. But, the papacy is a calling from God which is not an easy one to decline. So, for some Catholics, Pope Benedict retiring is tantamount to saying, "Sorry God, I can't do what you asked me to do". Which becomes really confusing for some because the Pope is supposed to be uplifted by God Himself in the performance of his duties. So, they get disheartened because they think - if the Pope himself cannot do what God asks, how can we?

KountC,

As an outsider, could you tell me about the sacraments? Specifically, what are they? Is there any sort of division or hierarchy among them (some being more important than others - dominical and such)? Is there a "natural" or desired order for them? Should I be asking something else here?

Yes, he did say he was hoping to be Cardinal for the rest of his life. But, the papacy is a calling from God which is not an easy one to decline. So, for some Catholics, Pope Benedict retiring is tantamount to saying, "Sorry God, I can't do what you asked me to do". Which becomes really confusing for some because the Pope is supposed to be uplifted by God Himself in the performance of his duties. So, they get disheartened because they think - if the Pope himself cannot do what God asks, how can we?

In the first place, while a pope traditionally serves until his death, there isn't anything that resembles a requirement for such. Secondly, the only doctrine the Catholic Church has with respect to the pope is that he will not promulgate doctrinal error from the Chair of Peter.

Lastly, what an incredible act of humility to step down! No doubt through steeping himself in the deepest prayer could he have taken such action that rocked the Catholic world!

I hope you don't mind if I chime in :) Perhaps some Catholics were confused by Benedicts retirement, but for myself I don't feel disheartened by his decision at all. With the whole world watching and judging him, it must've been extremely humbling and difficult to retire. I'm sure this was something he prayed very hard about and sought guidance from God before declaring his retirement. And how do you know, or any of us know for that matter, if God was calling him to something else? Perhaps he was actually saying "Yes Lord" in retiring, instead of "Sorry God, I can't do what you askmed me to do". Stepping down as Pope took deep humility and courage, I have nothing but respect and gratitude for Benedict :)