Food storage for one

Guest Emerge_A_Butterfly

Guest NoraSariah

I'm the only member of the Church in my family of five, and we don't have a lot of space. How can I start my own food storage in the limited space I have? I have a second closet I could probably use. What exactly does food storage include? I've never tried to have any before.

Any starter suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Think of places such as under beds as storage, also crawl spaces or rafters in the attic for things that are temperature sensitive.

I agree with Eowyn, just start with a 3 month supply of what you already eat and rotate it. Its amazing how quickly spending $5 or $10 a month can add up.

Just a note: Food storage is not just for LDS members. So, you might want to discuss with your family the benefits of having a family food storage.

Here's a sample of what one adult would need in a 3-month food supply.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4EjTfXhwMcwZm9SS1Znd0pUZW8/edit?pli=1

Now, I wouldn't survive on that list. I don't eat most of the stuff listed in there or I don't know how to cook/prepare it. So my 3-month supply is vastly different. For example, I don't have wheat in my food storage but I have rice... etc.

Here's another sample list for college students:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4EjTfXhwMcwMGViYzQzZmYtOGI5Mi00N2U5LTgyYjYtOTcyMmY4MjBlZmM1/edit?hl=en&pli=1

I have a well in my house so I'm not as worried about water. But, I did get a water bottle filtration thingee. Can't remember what the brand is called...

Are you trying to get food storage for just you, or for your whole family. (i assume you would still want to feed them).

I had put off getting some food storage for 2 or more years after buying a house. I have the room but not really the no how. I found this site.

Wise Food Storage - Emergency, Long Term, and Camping Meals

I don't really know how good of food they have (haven't tried it) but it was a good place for me to start. So you can buy a month supply 4 weeks for 1 person or 1 week for 4 people. With it just being me. I thought it was a good place to start. I probably buy something like this ever so often to get some stalk up.

Where do you live? Utah?

I would get enough for your whole family. They may use the trying times ahead to repent, during the time where we won't be able to buy any food and only live off what we have. Perhaps than they will see the truth of the gospel of Christ.

Grains (300-400 pounds per year)

Legumes (60 pounds per year)

Sugar (60 pounds per year)

Dry Milk (depends, 19-60 pounds a year)

If you had 360 pounds of wheat for example, that would give you 1 pound a day. That is two cups of wheat about and that makes around 4-5 cups of flour for the entire day.

Likewise, 5 pounds a beans a month (total of 60/year) gives I think 1/3 cup dry beans a day.

Sugar I am not sure, haven't calculated it, and Dry milk with 19 pounds I think was 2 Tbsps per day. Been while so it may be wrong.

Minimum.

So if you did ALL cans (small space) you can stack them 8 units high, or 8 cases (of 6 cans per case) which would give you if it was all wheat @ 5.5lbs a can, a total of 264 lbs of grains. Thats to give you an estimate of space. I was able to fit a years supply for two adults in two smaller closets. Store what you eat. Oats take up more space, rice is about the same as wheat, but don't store things that are not long term (except the short 3 month supply is ok).

If you live in utah you can get buckets cheap at beprepared.com. In the store its about 23$ for a 45 pound, 6 gallon bucket of wheat that is already packaged for longterm. If you want cans go to the LDS cannery that is all pre-packed for you already. Two trips you can have all you need :)

Here's a sample of what one adult would need in a 3-month food supply.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4EjTfXhwMcwZm9SS1Znd0pUZW8/edit?pli=1

That list is great for long term storage. However, right now the church is advocating a 3 month supply of things that you eat on a daily/weekly basis.

1 lb or 3 cups berries yields approx. 4 cups ground flour

A rough approx.- a scant 2/3 cup berries = 1 cup ground flour

I grind my own wheat for bread making. For a batch of bread I use 11 3/4 C. whole wheat flour. After grinding it and measuring out 11 3/4 cups. I then hand sift with a very fine mesh sieve to remove the chaff from the flour. You save the chaff and add it to the dough at the very last. For some reason this method allows the dough to rise properly with just the addition of Vital Gluten (approximately 3T Vital Gluten to 3.6 pounds of freshly ground whole wheat flour).

If you are going to make a lot of cookies, cakes & pastries, then grind soft spring wheat on a finer grind than for bread flour.

I wish I had the money for 500 pounds of wheat. AND the space other than along the walls of my bedrooms.

Purchasing flour in bulk for me was not a viable option. I refuse to use enriched flour or to purchase anything made with enriched flours. I used to buy flour by the 5 lb. bags when they were on sale and keep them in my freezer. Prevented the bugs from hatching if there were bugs in the paper bags. BUT since grinding my own - husband and I are healthier. I also use less flour when making gravy and sauces.

I paid 269.00 for my grinder, and it has already paid for itself in 18 months time. I purchase my grains from Emergency Essentials - they have the cleanest bulk grain for the money. (the grinder company specifically said NOT to use grain purchased from the LDS, as it is not triple cleaned and could break the grinder thus voiding the warranty on it)

If you use non-food grade plastic buckets, then order the milo bags from Emergency Essentials to line the buckets with. I do the same for the food grade I get from the restaurants- that way there is no chance of flavors/oils passing into the grain.

I vacuum seal my grains & beans. The grains are in 3.6 pound portions, the beans in 1 pound portions. Keeps all bugs and moisture out.

Applepansy ~ every attic I have had has not been insulated well enough and is too buggy for food storage.

I need two more large storage cupboards, but I have no place to put them. So am thinking of putting the king bed on a raised platform (12" high) so that I can store the #10 cans of freeze dried and dehydrated long term foods. That will free up one large cupboard that I can put envelope, boxed foods into.

Am also thinking of putting 24" high, 12" deep cupboards along the upper walls in my two bathrooms - storing the bath towels,etc in them and freeing up the deep and tall linen closet in the hall way for more food storage. We have such high ceilings - and this area in the bathrooms, hall way and even in the master bedroom seems like it is wasted space.

I buy extra foods that we like. When Walmart had packages of 6: 7.5 oz Bumble Bee tuna for $5.00. Believe me I bought a bunch. They limited you to 3 packages. So I bought 3, put it in my car, came back in bought 3 more went to a different cashier, did this 6 times. 6 cashiers. Then I came back the next day - did the same thing. Repeat for day 3, 4 & 5.

Two weeks later, Safeway had the 10 pack of 5.?oz. Chicken of the Sea, for $5.00 - no limit. I bought them out - 10 packages. I have given packages to the Missionaries. We have eaten lots of tuna.

Found out the hard way that Hormel Completes have a VERY short shelf life. Gave the not so good ones to a family in the Branch who has a dog- the dog loves them when added to the cheap dry food and it doesn't hurt him.

Also found out that the soft cheese in Velveeta Shells and Cheese goes bad at the use by date. Also why pay 2.50 to 3.59 for a box of pasta and a foil bag of soft cheese whiz? I buy the pasta on sale for $1.00 a 16 oz. box and then buy WalMart's brand knock off of cheese whiz for $1.19. Half a jar is plenty for 2-3 cups of raw pasta. Shells, bow ties, spirals, etc. The jars last longer on the shelf too. Total cost for the same amount of Velveeta Shells & Cheese - $1.10.

If you like the Rice (Pasta) Sides. Buy them when they a $1.00 or less each. They last forever as long as they are not in direct sunlight or heat or in excessive moisture. Then buy the pasta sauces and use them on your cooked pasta or rice. I use evaporated milk diluted with water. OH- yeah, evap milk has a use by date - heed it. That stuff is N.A.S.T.Y. when it turns.

When I open one, I empty it into a plastic Ball jar- that way I can shake it good before pouring out what I need. Also you can see if it has turned or not. I dilute it with the liquid from canned veggies if I am serving them before I use water. Just made up some butter and herb pasta, then added Fred Meyer frozen grilled chunk chicken to it. Served it with canned green beans so I used the liquid from the can + 1/4 cup water to equal the milk amount.

Husband never can tell when I use veggie liquid rather than just water.

Guest NoraSariah

Thank you everyone for your help and answers. I talked to my parents and we decided we'll keep a storage for everyone. I bought some dried beans, rice, macaroni, oxygen absorbers and mason jars to start with. We'll eventually broaden it, but these are just the basics.

Where do you live? Utah?

I live in Texas. So I can't go to any of the LDS canneries. :(

Another option, as well, are MREs.

Personally, I get Winter Rations when I can (harder now win desert warfare), because the suckers have about 4,000 calories each. Meaning 1 can last a person 2+ days in an emergency. Or, in winter and physical activity out he ears, 12,000 kc a day will keep you fighting.

MREs are waaaaay too expensive for most families to stockpile them in quantity... But for a single person, or small fam, they're about perfect.

Q

Depending on your bed, you might be able to get "risers" and put the small LDS cannery boxes under it for longer-term type foods. You should now be able to buy most products they sell in the boxes. A starter kit box is about a month's supply of food for one person. Like Pam said, it is best to get foods your family eats which might be better in the closet, but if your food storage space is very limited you get more calories for the space in the bulk food cans or buckets. I've seen people make their TV stand out of boxes with a sheet over them, store boxes behind the couch with a nice cloth and glass over that so it can hold an arrangement, along the side of a garage, etc. The crawl space or attic space is a good idea for things that are not as heat sensitive such as whole grains and extra clothes/blankets and some equipment can go up there as well. A small filter (the church has a good one in the catalog) and some extra water could be important as well.

Here is a list of the LDS centers.

Home Storage Center Locations

There are "meals in a jar" that your family might like to store...or "google" mason jar meals

Chef Tess Bakeresse: 52 Method Jar Info

Some people also store freezer meals in their freezer.

Others put all the ingredients for a meal in a easy to carry gift type bag including the water so they know they have everything they need if something happens they can pick up the bags and go.

Edited by lds2

Depending on your bed, you might be able to get "risers" and put the small LDS cannery boxes under it for longer-term type foods. You should now be able to buy most products they sell in the boxes. A starter kit box is about a month's supply of food for one person. Like Pam said, it is best to get foods your family eats which might be better in the closet, but if your food storage space is very limited you get more calories for the space in the bulk food cans or buckets. I've seen people make their TV stand out of boxes with a sheet over them, store boxes behind the couch with a nice cloth and glass over that so it can hold an arrangement, along the side of a garage, etc. The crawl space or attic space is a good idea for things that are not as heat sensitive such as whole grains and extra clothes/blankets and some equipment can go up there as well. A small filter (the church has a good one in the catalog) and some extra water could be important as well.

Here is a list of the LDS centers.

Home Storage Center Locations

There are "meals in a jar" that your family might like to store...or "google" mason jar meals

Chef Tess Bakeresse: 52 Method Jar Info

Some people also store freezer meals in their freezer.

Others put all the ingredients for a meal in a easy to carry gift type bag including the water so they know they have everything they need if something happens they can pick up the bags and go.

I totoally forget about freezer meals! We always lose power a few times a year & no generator means a lot of waste if you're not careful ... But I have friends up in Canada who have ice-storage (cut into the permafrost)..and friends in the other CA that have solar powered homes (a d sell their extra back to the power company, totally self sufficient on power.