Any weird eating habits?

Bini

Our darling daughter has decided that she *loves* strawberry jam and won't eat unless there is strawberry jam on it. So far I've put jam on her chicken, potatoes and mixed it in with her peas. I know this is just a stage when she points to the fridge and chants: "jam, jam, jam," right? I have tried to omit the jam but I'm not sure it's a battle worth fighting. At least she's eating her food when there is jam on it.

Anyone else got a kiddo with weird eating habits? Do share :)

I know this is just a stage when she points to the fridge and chants: "jam, jam, jam," right?

I know that it's just a stage when I point to my mouth and say "chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!" I've been waiting for a while now to get through this stage.....

One night when I was like 13 or 14 I was just hungry and wanted something to fill me up. I really don't know how I came up with it. I grabbed some wheat bread and started to put peanut butter on both sides. I then grabbed some Graham crackers broken them up so each side would get some. I then grabbed a velveeta cheese slice. Put that on there. Closed the sandwich and kind of smash it together.

Every so often I make it.

My kids went through a pb&j phase. Then they discovered pb&h (honey) and switched to that. They did eventually get over it.

I have one that puts ketchup on everything.

I have one that has decided she doesn't like "melted chocolate". Yeah, I don't know where she came from. She will eat things with chocolate chips in them if I use the mini chips but otherwise no chocolate chip cookies, pancakes, etc. lol

Some of mine won't eat if there is anything touching or if you put something on their plate they don't like. I'm trying very hard to teach them to just ignore what you don't want. But I figure those are more a sign of the Asperger's in the house than anything else. lol

Buy good quality jam and don't worry about it. lol I'd put jam on peas if it meant my kids would eat them.

On the chanting, that is only a phase that goes away if you don't put up with it. I've known 10 yrs olds that chant at the table. In my house we don't chant, never have, never will. If you chant you have guaranteed that you will not get what you want. I just sat down and refused to put dinner on the table before because of chanting, never had a problem since. lol When other kids visit and decide to chant my kids put a stop to it before I can. Did I mention I don't like chanting. lol If food isn't coming fast enough then get up and help or wait politely.

I have a first grade niece who lives mostly on peanut butter and chicken nuggets, and has done most of her life.

My husband makes weird concoctions of things, usually in yogurt or cereal.

I eat roast beef with ketchup, which I thought was normal but apparently is a grievous sin. When I was a newlywed and my MIL discovered this, she was aghast. Of course, she makes ham gravy. (ew) I also used to eat ketchup on tacos but I prefer salsa now.

I like dipping PBJ's in AppleSauce sprinkled with nutmeg. Some of my kids like it now too.

My son likes Ranch on everything. We have it regulated though.

After I moved out of the house my mom worked as lunch lady for a school. She said they got rid of the Ranch dressing because many of the kids were taking pop cans dumping out the soda and filling them with Ranch and drinking it with a straw during the day.

• 2 months later...

My partner went through a phase of having custard with everything when he was a kid, he grew out of it eventually, though he still really likes custard.

My weird thing as a kid was eating icing sugar with a spoon and melting chocolate bourbon biscuits on the radiator and then eating the melted bits, (this was always in the middle of the night after I raided the kitchen.) I now eat marshmallow fluff straight from the jar, (which is why I don't buy it so much anymore,) and every so often I will use a candle to toast marshmallows with, using a fork and standing well back. Another one I have is eating slices of cheddar cheese and apples together.

My kid did not like green things. Bowl of multicolored cereal would result with a pile of uneaten green bits.

My kids are much easier than I was. I absolutely despised different foods touching each other on my plate. It would make me ill. I grew out of that somewhere in my teen years I think. I used to eat mustard. Then my mommy told me one day mustard was spicy, and the next time I ate it, it burned my mouth and I didn't touch it until my '20's. Now I like it again.

My partner went through a phase of having custard with everything when he was a kid, he grew out of it eventually, though he still really likes custard.

Fish fingers and custard?

Another one I have is eating slices of cheddar cheese and apples together.

Not actually that weird. Really good, though!

My son would not eat meatballs, however, if I smashed said meatballs, he would eat them. Time after time, I'd tell him the smashed meat was the same meatball that he refused, that there was no difference except for the shape. Didn't matter. He didn't want any freakin' meatballs. He eats them today without a problem.

Me - I like to drink the 'juice' from bottles of olives. I like BBQ potato chips on my peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

Growing up my sister would eat cheese and M&Ms, she would suck the juice out of grapes but wouldn't drink grape juice or eat grapes, drank orange juice but wouldn't oranges, ate apples but wouldn't drink apple juice, ate tomato ketchup and tomato soup but wouldn't eat tomatoes.

I eat tomatoes like apples. Used to drive my mother nuts because she would start to make dinner, pull open the container of tomatoes, and it's empty. She started hiding them. Then I discovered it tasted better dipped in sugar.

I eat sugar sandwich. Take a piece of bread, sprinkle sugar on it, top with another piece of bread, nuke for 10 seconds. Yum. For variation, I add milo/ovaltine before nuking. And a favorite growing up with my siblings - spread Star margarine (any other margarine won't do) over the bread before sprinkling with sugar, don't put another bread... just put the single slice topped with margarine/sugar in the toaster oven.

And, before frost-free refrigerators came into existence, my siblings and I would take a spoon and scrape the ice off the freezer walls into a cup. Add evaporated milk, sugar, and food color. Yum. Used to drive my mother nuts because, according to her, it's going to kill us.

You think that's wierd? Hah, it's not as wierd as people eating aborted ducks still inside the eggs....

I eat tomatoes like apples. Used to drive my mother nuts because she would start to make dinner, pull open the container of tomatoes, and it's empty. She started hiding them. Then I discovered it tasted better dipped in sugar.

I eat sugar sandwich. Take a piece of bread, sprinkle sugar on it, top with another piece of bread, nuke for 10 seconds. Yum. For variation, I add milo/ovaltine before nuking. And a favorite growing up with my siblings - spread Star margarine (any other margarine won't do) over the bread before sprinkling with sugar, don't put another bread... just put the single slice topped with margarine/sugar in the toaster oven.

And, before frost-free refrigerators came into existence, my siblings and I would take a spoon and scrape the ice off the freezer walls into a cup. Add evaporated milk, sugar, and food color. Yum. Used to drive my mother nuts because, according to her, it's going to kill us.

You think that's wierd? Hah, it's not as wierd as people eating aborted ducks still inside the eggs....

Milo and Ovaltine! For the life of me I couldn't remember either - I kept telling DH that I grew up on chocolate mix but it wasn't Nesquick.

Milo and Ovaltine! For the life of me I couldn't remember either - I kept telling DH that I grew up on chocolate mix but it wasn't Nesquick.

Oh yeah... That's a heated argument in my family. Which is better Milo or Ovaltine. It's as heated as Coke versus Pepsi...

My son insisted on having broccoli with every meal for about 6 years.

Fruity pebbles & broccoli

Osso bucco & broccoli

Ice cream & broccoli.

Just because they're insisting on a thing doesn't make it bad ;)

(I now have the 80s Aloce in Wonderland song stuck in my head :

"Jam tomorrow, Jam yesterday... But nevah evah jaaaaaaaaam today." )