10 random scenarios

Bini

What do you think about the following random everyday scenarios?

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use.

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it.

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on.

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities.

5. Saving places in line while waiting to be called in a first-come-first-serve setup.

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.

8. When leaving, taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later.

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use. DISHONEST/STEALING

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it. DISRESPECTFUL

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on. DISHONEST

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities. INCONSIDERATE

5. Saving places in line while waiting to be called in a first-come-first-serve setup. ICONSIDERATE

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop. INCONSIDERATE

8. When leaving, taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later. DISHONEST/STEALING

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents. Not my cup of tea, but if the people they are addressing are okay with it, it's not my business.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding. IRRESPONSIBLE

I would add that most of the above scenarios (and I would argue the "everyday" description) are selfish actions, thinking only of one's self.

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use.

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it.

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on.

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities.

5. Saving places in line while waiting to be called in a first-come-first-serve setup.

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.

1. you run the risk of viruses that way, best left avoided

2. movie theater food is overpriced and movies usually terrible, I don't feel bad

3. men don't often do that, if I want those pants then I will keep them, otherwise I won't buy them.

4. if I have a ton of bags or if its the only stall available its fine, I have never had a handicapped person wait to use it while I was inside.

5. saving places in line is a sketchy, at best, activity.

6. ??? you forgot 6

7. cellphones weren't widespread the last time I was on a plane

8. they'll just throw it out, I paid my fee

9. I have no children

10. I don't because they could succumb to health problems down the line because of it

2. movie theater food is overpriced and movies usually terrible, I don't feel bad

3. men don't often do that, if I want those pants then I will keep them, otherwise I won't buy them.

4. if I have a ton of bags or if its the only stall available its fine, I have never had a handicapped person wait to use it while I was inside.

6. ??? you forgot 6

9. I have no children

10. I don't because they could succumb to health problems down the line because of it

But are you being totally honest? No matter how you may try to justify it?

I will admit to doing #4 if there is no one else around. Some stalls are extremely small and I sometimes can't tolerate being in really small tight confines.

But are you being totally honest? No matter how you may try to justify it?

yeah I am honest, I mean I don't try to hide the fact I can be very greedy, insensitive and uncaring of most of those around me

I mean I am a lot better then I was but I still have growing to do

6. ??? you forgot 6

9. I have no children

You don't know that. The handicapped person may have seen that the stall was occupied and left. Just like they have to look for another spot when people illegally park in handicapped spots because "it's just for a minute". They might not have had capacity to "hold it" until the stall is free and had to leave.

Trying to use a public restroom with a toddler in tow def counts as a disability.

Well, it can definitely feel like a handicap, trying to juggle an infant or little kids and try to use the toilet yourself. I know many handicap stalls have the only baby changing tables inside.

I'm not even sure they call them handicap stalls any longer. I hardly ever see a handicapped sign on them. Mainly for the reason Bini just mentioned. It's usually the only one that has baby changing tables in them. I think they are for anyone (handicapped or mothers of babies) that need them.

A few observations about specific scenarios:

Maybe I assume too much; but I figure if someone leaves one's wifi password un-protected, they're making a conscious decision to have it publicly available.

I shouldn't; but I sometimes do. :(

Some good sense should be used. Obviously, don't run into one ahead of some elderly or wheelchair-bound person. On the other hand: I think it a little much to expect that an entire stall should be entirely unused except for the one or two "disabled" people who come in per day.

Disabled people want to be treated like normal people. Well, part of being a "normal person" is that sometimes, we need to wait to use the restroom. They don't build the handicapped stall especially bigger so as to accommodate those with poor bladder control. It's there for people whose conditions require that they take bulky equipment--a wheelchair, for example, or a walker--into the bathroom with them. If you don't fall into that kind of category, then I say: every bladder for himself.

FWIW, I've read that Europe has largely abandoned this rule, and the FAA seems to be in a fair way to follow suit. It's a stupid rule, but probably a little churlish to flout it openly.

If it's immoral to allow my pet to reproduce (assuming I can find a place for all of the offspring) because there are thousands more would-be pets in shelters somewhere, then isn't it also immoral for me, personally, to reproduce in lieu of adopting a child?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I'm not even sure they call them handicap stalls any longer. I hardly ever see a handicapped sign on them. Mainly for the reason Bini just mentioned. It's usually the only one that has baby changing tables in them. I think they are for anyone (handicapped or mothers of babies) that need them.

Good observation. I haven't seen a handicap sign on those larger stalls either. Not in a while.

What I really appreciate are the family restrooms that are becoming more accessible. And to avoid potentially embarrassing situations, the family restroom only occupies one family at a time. That way, mummies and daddies still have their privacy from non-family members.

Let me preface my response by saying that I never felt like a hypocrite until answering these questions for myself...lol.

I'm inclined to agree with JAG: if it's a residential network that has been left unsecured, it's their problem, not mine. That said, I would never "steal" cable or Internet from my neighbor as a regular thing. If I'm out and about and I need to check something on my iPod Touch, I'll look for an unsecured network, and hope that I can find one for a brief few minutes. I've also been known to pull into a Starbucks, Panera, or McDonald's parking lot briefly for the same reason.

A normal movie theater? I don't really feel bad at all. A cheap theater that shows second-run movies (like the one I'll be going to tomorrow night to see The Great Gatsby)? I don't like to do it because they make nearly all their money from concessions, and I like the service they provide to the community and I want to support it. I don't go to the movies very often at all, but when I do, I usually bring in a water bottle and maybe one candy item, but still buy popcorn and another candy (assuming it's a family activity). Though my sister and I smuggled Cold Stone ice cream in to M:I4 last year. :)

This is living outside your means, in my opinion. If I can't afford an item of clothing, I won't buy it. Period.

This one's been done to death in this thread already, but I'll chime in anyway. With young kids, I absolutely use it. Sometimes even without kids I will. I'm overweight, and sometimes teeny tiny stalls can be...awkward. If I've noticed anyone in the store/building/whatever that might have need of the handicapped stall, I'll probably use one of the smaller ones, just to make sure it remains available to them.

I honestly can't think of a personal example of this, but I'd say it depends. If it's something I'll be attending/doing with a friend, then I'd be okay with saving them a spot.

Okay, as I was typing that, I thought of a personal example, which actually contradicts what I just said...like I said, I feel like a hypocrite. Each month, I take my daughter to the mall for the free mini model building workshop at the LEGO store. The build starts at 6:00, but you can get tickets (first come, first served) starting at 5:00. Most of the time, I don't have any commitments in the evening, but on the occasion that I do, I'll ask a friend (who I know is always there early) to grab a ticket for me for an earlier time. Typically, if I'm not able to be there early enough, it's because my youngest is still napping.

The last time I flew, I didn't have a "device," but I really think I could wait the final 3.5 minutes before being allowed to turn it back on again. However, this sums up my feelings on the subject:

FAA/TSA smartphone/tablet/e-reader/device! - YouTube

Hmmm...I never go to buffets. However, whenever I go to Ruby Tuesday, I load up on the salad bar with the intention of being able to take home lots of leftovers from my entree.

If the authority figure is okay with it, I'm okay with it. I also allow my friends' children to refer to me by my first name.

I honestly have no opinion on this...I've never had a pet other than a goldfish.

Bini, you always have the greatest thread ideas!!

You know why, Wingnut? Because I am about 4 months post surgery and I'm feeling great! I'm not so drained mentally and physically I'm getting back to my old self :) And lately I've just been really chatty on the forum while I do my routine house chores.

Well, it can definitely feel like a handicap, trying to juggle an infant or little kids and try to use the toilet yourself. I know many handicap stalls have the only baby changing tables inside.

Here the changing tables are in the handicap stalls. They also sometimes have wall chairs (not sure what else to call them), a place to safely strap the baby who can't stand so mom can pee. If you have children who can not take care of themselves you have no choice but to use the handicap stalls. The normal stalls are too small to help a child unless you leave the door open which always bothers me. The reality is we all sometimes have to wait for a stall, handicap or otherwise.

One thing that bugs me is when ppl with handicap stickers park illegally because all the handicap spaces are taken (by ppl with handicap permits). If the spaces are taken you park somewhere else or come back later, the fire lane isn't an overflow.

It also upsets me when cops park in the fire lane so they can run in for a sandwich or something. Here most places have a parking space right next to the handicap reserved for cops only. It will sit empty while there are cars in the fire lane.

People need to watch out for their own security. If I were hard up for wifi, I might. They left it open. On the other hand, I don't like to use unsecured networks, so either I wouldn't at all or I wouldn't do anything important, like banking, on it.

I've done that when the son was little. We lived in Philly and they would actually search purses, etc. I'd get so angry (real inner-city stuff that wasn't done out in the burbs), I didn't care how I screwed them, as long as I paid for the ticket, I'd bring in what I wanted.

Had a friend who used to do this. Reprehensible. 5-10 years in state prison.

What's a disability? Not being able to bring yourself, your backpack, umbrella and/or heavy winter coat in a 1x1 bath stall? Having a hard time sitting as low as the regular seats are and appreciating a higher seat? Having a kid that needs to go in with you? As long as no one in a wheelchair needs the stall, I use it. Not all disabilities are visible and hip and knee pain are sufficient in my mind, to let me use the stall. There's no sign that says others are forbidden from using the stall - and some are quite nice with a private sink and a ledge for your stuff. :D

Death sentence.

Death sentence. I wish I had a friggin' ray gun that would zap all of those who can't wait 3 minutes to get to the gate.

'Extra' as in you didn't pay for it? Theft. No, I wouldn't do it.

Nope. I have to tell my younger ward friends with children that I am 'Miss Dahlia' or 'Sister Dahlia' or Sister Dahlia'sSurname. As my mother used to tell us, "I am neither your friend nor your peer." What happened to teaching your children manners?

We haven't done this to our rabbit princess, but she isn't around males, either. It is hard to find a vet with rabbit experience and they can kill them with a mistake, so we leave well enough alone.

I would never let an animal breed with the expectation of selling the offspring unless I was in that business. Not quite death sentence behavior, but I'd give it 20 years, especially if the owner didn't care for the mother while she's pregnant or lets it happen repeatedly.

1. Using wifi service that is not password protected but is private like a residential network not intended for public use. the only way to do this, would be to live nearby or to be creeping house to house. Either one should be avoided

2. Taking in outside food and drink (that you've hidden or the usher said nothing) into a movie theatre that prohibits it. My honest opinion, I dont think that far ahead and do not take anything to snack on. Have I done it? Yep, no regrets.

3. Wearing perfectly good clothing and returning it afterwards because you can and they don't ask questions if you've got a receipt or kept tags on.This I think is a more or less theft. Stores do not re-sell those clothing full price do they? Either way, you have just shortened the life expentency of the clothin by one day

4. Using a handicapped stall in the restroom when you do not have any physical or mental disabilities.I have always understood it as handicap accessable, like the ramps. We do not tell people not to use the ramps. Now let's say there is a line, and everyone is using all of the stalls. Someone that fitst the description needs to use the handicap stall enters, everyone should allow that person to cut and make it accessable.

7. Turning on and using your phone before the aeroplane has taxied and come to a complete stop.I dont beleive it messes up any instruments

8. When leaving, taking extra food out of a buffet restaurant for later.I have dont this with items like cotton candy

9. Allowing your children to use first names for authority figures or elders, such as: teachers, parents or grandparents.If they are close enough to call someone by name, why not? Unless you are in a public setting, I see not reason to always use titles, again, if you know them well enough.

10. Not spaying or neutering your family pet because puppies/kittens might be fun or you foresee making a quick buck by breeding.I have no opinion on the reasons presented. However, not spaying or neutering your pet that breeds constantly without any intent on keeping or placing them over and over? Bugs me pretty bad.