Nursery Moms URGHHHH

IamMe

My kids are older now so I don't pay much attention to the nursery, but I can testify from my younger years that nursery leaders with boundaries enjoy a much better experience.

My guess, IamMe, is that your wording isn't as mean as you think it is. Trust yourself. There is nothing cruel about stating that Mom's need to leave. My kids coaches do it. My kids teachers do it. Parents aren't allowed to listen to the "huddle" directives from the coaches and kids need to know when an assignment is due and hand it in.

I think we'll raise more responsible children if we model how to do this....even if we have to model it to each other.

This is what I have:

Dear Parents,

It has come to our attention that as of late, a lot of parents are choosing to stay with their children during nursery time. While we know and understand that you are anxious to be a part of your child's nursery experience, we feel that we need to add a few guidelines to make the nursery experience a more enjoyable time for everyone.

As is church policy, nursery is an optional program for those aged 18 months to 3 years old, if you would like to start bringing your young child a week or two prior to their 18 month birthday to help them get acquainted with those found in nursery, then please do so, however we are unable to accommodate those younger than 17.5 months until such time church policy changes

Nursery time is a huge milestone for your young child on their pathway to learning the Gospel, it's not merely a "baby-tending time". While we are busy teaching your child about the gospel, the Relief Society has generously offered up their room during nursery time for you to escape to, chat with the other women in our ward, and unwind after a long week of enjoying your toddler. Relief Society has also graciously offered to throw in a lesson especially targeted to the joys of womanhood which we hope you'll find most enjoyable. As the space in nursery is limited, we will no longer be able to teach parents in the nursery room and will be focusing primarily on our targeted audience. Starting immediately we will have a new drop & run policy for parents bringing their little ones to nursery.

We will continue to bring your child to you should they have any concerns that need to be addressed during their time in nursery.

Sincerely,

The Primary Presidency

In seriousness, the paragraph about Relief Society, while funny, is probably too sarcastic.

I'd keep it shorter and too the point. Keep the first 2 paragraphs, and shorten the 3rd.

"We love your children and are happy to have the opportunity to teach them. Please take advantage of this time by enjoying your Sunday school and Relief Society meetings."

In seriousness, the paragraph about Relief Society, while funny, is probably too sarcastic.

I wasn't even thinking of it as sarcastic, but rather, quite patronizing. I agree -- definitely ditch it.

If you want to add more to the first two paragraphs, perhaps consider some language about helping the children foster independence.

I know there has been emphisis from the first presidency in the last few years on how important nursery is. They even have their own lesson manual. Seems people would be 100% behind you when you send out the letters. I might even put something in the letters about how these kids have a lesson manual and are a "real" class and you have a lesson to do and such. It might sound a little mean when you write it, but there needs to be no room for asuptions. It needs to be clear that they need to be out. Don't point out too many details. Just put that the general authoirities gave you a lesson plan and that you due to the exra mommies in the class that children are unable to focus and leaders are unable to follow the plan as given to you be the first presidency. Mommies in the room distract the child from fully focusing on the leaders and the lesson, and make it hard for the children to learn. Mommoes that would rather spend the time with their children are welcome to take them in the halls or to RS. Might be mean and all, but firm.

Just a bit of trivia - the lesson manuals for Nursery have been 'out' since before 1978 - I just tossed 24 of the 1978 ones when I cleaned our Branch Library.

They just recently upgraded and printed new ones - they are now spiral bound, with beautiful pictures. I kept 3 for the library and gave Primary the other 6. Why we ever got 9 of them is a mystery. Even when ALL of the 18 mo- 3 yrolds are in attendance, there are 4 of them. Guess the Nursery Leader gets one and each child gets two. :cool:

Man, I'd just scrap the letter altogether. Have the bishopric announce, "parents who choose to remain in the Nursery classroom after dropping off their children will all be given Nursery callings." Should clear the problem right up, and if it doesn't, well then it won't be your problem anymore, because you can be released! Lol.