New Familysearch.org

Gwen

Dear LDS Church Members and Friends,

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is developing a new version of the FamilySearch.org website. This new website will help members identify ancestors, link them to families, and provide temple ordinances for them.

Can you volunteer an hour of time to help evaluate this new website? Do you know someone else who might be interested? We need feedback to make the final website as easy and enjoyable to use as possible. We are especially interested in feedback from individuals who are new to family history work.

Anyone over age 18 interested in participating in this evaluation should go to:

http://labs.familysearch.org/temple/static/signup.htm

Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm. We greatly value your time and opinion.

Sincerely,

FamilySearch Evaluation Team

Family and Church History Department

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently you can only do the training if you are called as a consultant in your branch or ward. Talk to your Priesthood leaders or your Bishop about this. In the Cedar Rapids IA stake we started the training back in Feb of this year, the weather was so bad only a few showed up, so we rescheduled to Apr. Our Temple District, Nauvoo is weeks away from rolling out the new.familysearch.org which will replace the old Temple Ready version of preparing names for submission to the Temple. The new program is being rolled out by areas. Some Temple districts are already using it.

We, the three of us who work in our small FHC had to complete all the training sessions. I also get "Practice lessons" in ,my email which helps me be ready to teach the program when we get the "Go" signal.

If you go to the church web site, there is information there about serving a mission for Family Search. I wish I had time to serve, but I am so busy with my callings now, and getting our Branch members instructed on the new program...some of them do not even have a clue about the old programs. The new.familysearch.org will eventually be available to church members from their home computers, many of the FHC's will be closed because everything that is stored will be available on the web. It is projected that (I think) 5 years the entire world population will have access to the information.

The new system is awesome. I use my own ancestry to do the practice lessons. However, PAF does not transfer to the new.familysearch. So we will all need a program that is compatible. For my training I just used GEDCOM..but that is slow.

The short form is, all the information that has been submitted on any of my family lines, by anyone is now a part of my family history. I can go in and look, verify which ancestors belong and BAM..they are on pedigree charts and Family Group Sheets. We are able to communicate with others who are submitting information. Remember, when you are able to use the new system, input your email address... when you submit info. The older versions did not allow for that. If you want to collaborate with another contributor, you will need this. Anyway..it is going to be so great when ours rolls out here in Nauvoo district. We have been preparing for it about a year in our stake.

Joni

• 2 weeks later...

They say someone is using my login and password. That is probably me. It's unlikely someone else would be using my password. How do I get recognized?

Is new.familysearch working for the Phoenix area or not?

I've tried to register and I've done the pop up blocking they suggested. It still won't let me register.

muriel smith

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The new site is being rolled out across the country. The last states to get it will be Utah, Idaho and Nevada. The concern is that they want to work out all the kinks and have enough capacity before a huge amount of people log on and overload the system.

If you have particular questions we have a member of the site, Josie, who is a called church missionary, that is training the new missionaries on the site and how to use it and help others use it.

Ben Raines

• 5 weeks later...
Guest marieadams
Hidden

I am a member of the church having being baptized as a child. I grew up in a rural area of North Carolina, where the church was small. My mother was a member , but my Dad wasn't until I was 16. I have two older brothers. My maternal grandparents helped to build the first church building in our area. Trees from their land was used for the church. My brother and I were the only members of the church in our school, and were ridiculed often about our religion. I think it made us stronger by having to defend the gospel even to adults who made off comments.

I married a wonderful man, and was sealed in the temple. We have two precious children and five special grandchildren, who by the way, live right next to us. We love it.

I have served in the Primary, Young Women, Relief Society, and seems to always be called back to Primary. I love teaching music to the children. We now have a Stake center in our home ward, the first in North Carolina and many other stakes have now been organized. The church has been the center of my life, and I know that it is the only church on the earth that is recognized by our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ to officate in his eternal plans.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have spent the last 45 minutes trying to sign on but keep getting kicked off the site and being told I'm not putting enough or too many letters in my name over and over and then that my password isn't right and then that the code isn't right. When I finally made it to the second page I was supposed to sign in again and the fun started all over again. I just want to do my family history work, not waste my precious time on a site that doesn't work. There is apparently no one to contact about the problem!!!

[email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Because something is VERY wrong with this Website!

It was over 3 months ago when I first signed up, and now it won't accept my UserName nor Password! To compound this Problem, I am a Stake Consultant in our Panama City Family History Center (in Panama City, FL), and RIGHT NOW am typing this message on one of the computers HERE!

I need someone to PHONE me at this number: 850-785-9290

and help me get connected so I can proceed with some VERY important work of clearing names for Temple work --- TODAY!

Of course, it won't do any good to try and send the Info to my home computer, as That is over 10 miles West of here!

PLEASE, PLEASE help me ASAP!

Carol Alexander

The password and username are a pain in the neck until you finally get consistently on. One of the problems is the constant updating of the hardware in Salt Lake.

CarolA99....make sure you have the correct password and user name. Both are CASE SENSITIVE meaning if you first did them using capitols, you have to redo it the exact same way you entered it the first time. Also, if you have changed you email, you basically have to reregister. Tommorrow, or Monday, the Church should have its help line going. Look at the bottom of the screen for "contact us" or something like that. Call the number, the phone tree is all over the world. There are people to help you.

I was part of the first beta version, and the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th testing. When all else fails, try reregistering using a spouse or child's member number and confirmation date (from the ward clerk). Use that until you call the help line and talk to a real person!

We here in the Boston temple district have been on new.familysearch.org for over a year now. It is very nice to be able to clear names from home, bring the ordinance request form to the temple, have the blue,pink and yellow ordinance cards printed and get the work done. It has generated a lot of enthusiasm for getting work done. It's also a great way to rejuvenate enthusiasm for doing the work. The help section is good and the available missionaries on the 800 line do a great job of having answers when there are problems.

Serving as a family history consultant, I go to folks homes when they have internet access and if they don't, I invite them to mine. It has worked out very well. We haven't had any official training here stake wide but the online resources available are good and taking time to get familiar with the website is another good self training.

If I can be of service or answer questions about it, I'm happy to. [email protected]

click on the search button on the top and it will provide you with fields to fill in. If the name of the person that you are searching for is in the system, it will provide you with their information and you can click on it and add it to your pedigree or family group record. It can be useful as a search item without attaching it to your pedigree as well. If you don't find the person your are looking for and have the information to submit anyway, you can click on the add tab and type in the information you have. Once you have the information entered, the icon relating to that family will change to a temple with a moving arrow. CLick on that arrow and follow the prompts to make a temple submission happen. If you make a mistake, you can fix it. If the information is wrong and someone else submitted it, you can't change what someone else submitted but you can dispute it. It is much better than temple ready. Already there are more changes underway. In familysearchlabs, there is a familytree option and it is already connected to new.familysearch.org. Any changes in either place changes the records in the system.One of the major needs through this is to help make corrections and combine duplications in the records. It's wonderful. If you have problems, I'm happy to help.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

new.familysearch.org

When you put this in the search section of your web browser, you will see several options but look for the official site www.new.familysearch.org

Don't forget the . between new and familysearch.org

When you get on to the site, there will be a picture of Pres Monson on the homepage. It will provide you with options. The first one is to register. You will need your membership number (found on your temple recommend or available from your ward clerk. ) You will also need your confirmation date.

You will need to choose a username and password. Read the screen as you go and there is a tutorial for your use . Take care and if I can help in any way, don't hesitate to drop a line.

• 4 weeks later...