New Familysearch.org

Gwen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrie42,

Have you tried logging on the site yet? new.familysearch.org without the www. You will need your member number and confirmation date from the ward clerk, unless you remember.

When you get on, you may find gazillions on names attached to your pedigree chart, however, if you are a convert, you may not see anything, just your name floating out there. If you have a pedigree already showing, then you need to start verifying and exploring. However, if you don't, then that means no one has worked on your family, your a convert, or the names are in the system and you just need to connect them together.

With me, since I've done genealogy for the last 40 years, since I joined the Church and have sent many names to the temple my pedigree chart was pretty well filled out, but after you get back aways (mid 1800's) many other people have the same ancestors, and you get things that are a little messed up.

My advice, is to start small. See what's on new.familysearch.org and see if your Ward Family History Consultant can help you. If they can't, go to the stake and see if the stake consultants are available. Chances are, there are many people working on their genealogy, but do it without the ward members knowing. This is how I do it. Start asking questions, and you will probably find someone in your ward that is working on it.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard of the new FamilySearch site, but it was only today that I found out the name of the website is actually"NewFamilySearch". I thought it was just a retooling of the old Family Search site so that's what I've been using, lol! No wonder nothing looked new to me!

So I went on the new site today and started entering info. Much to my surprise and utter joy, I have discovered that someone has already done temple work for many of my ancestors, and in fact has information on a few lines several generations farther back than I did. Doors that had been locked to me for years have suddenly opened. I am so overjoyed to have found this info and to also know that I am not alone in trying to do the work for my ancestors (I'm a convert, and both sides of my family are hostile to the church, so finding a distant relative who is also a member who is helping in the work is very exciting for me). :D

• 4 weeks later...

You will need your member number (from your temple recommend or from ward clerk) and your confirmation date. When you have those log onto http://new.familysearch.org and register. When you have registered your opening screen will allow you to view a short video for an overview of the new system.

Don't be surprised if you name is not connected to parents and etc. This pedigree is based on past temple records and membership records.

If all you see is your name then start adding information. Make sure the information is correct because its hard to change.

Good hunting!

• 1 month later...

Brand, it definitely does take some getting used to. I've already made plenty of mistakes, and I've been doing family history for over 20 years and using the internet regularly for almost as long. I've heard other people complain that it's not very user friendly, and it seems as if once you make a mistake, it's there forever. For example: There seem to be two or three copies of my ex-husband and I, yet each copy says there are no duplicates (because you apparently can only search for duplicates for deceased individuals). So one of "me" has all my ancestors info, but another one has nothing at all. And I can't find any way to merge the two.

• 1 month later...

Iam in hopes to unraveal my family tree and am very glad to have this help. so I might do work for my family members. thank you Nancy Roberts

Are you in need of help doing research or are you in need of help on how to use New.Family Search? Or can we help in some other way?

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loran are you referring to the church indexing program? If so, just recently they merged sign in information with lds.org

If you have already signed up with lds.org and have a sign in name there and password then that is the name and password you will now use at familysearchindexing.

I hope this helps.

• 3 months later...