New Familysearch.org

Gwen

I recently, like last week, found the New Family Search site and downloaded the software and started looking up ancestors. Now I have been using the Program by Ancestry.com for some time and Have a list of about 2450 ancestors.

Well as I started looking on Family Search, I found mistake after mistake regarding my relatives. It seems my Paternal Grandmother's Father has been sealed to an entirely different family, and now I have to go get birth and marriage certificates for several people to the tune of $70. to send to them in hopes they can correct it.

They were missing my mothers endowments though they did have her sealing to my Father, and One of my further back grandmothers seems to be sealed to six different men.

and that is what I found in just a few days. I am frankly flabergasted that a church sponsored site which shows the work done for people is SO messed up.

Do they just do ordiances for any name they find and hope it is sorted out later? or what?

The idea of the site is wonderful but the execution of it is terrible. I am very upset by it myself.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently, like last week, found the New Family Search site and downloaded the software and started looking up ancestors. Now I have been using the Program by Ancestry.com for some time and Have a list of about 2450 ancestors.

Well as I started looking on Family Search, I found mistake after mistake regarding my relatives. It seems my Paternal Grandmother's Father has been sealed to an entirely different family, and now I have to go get birth and marriage certificates for several people to the tune of $70. to send to them in hopes they can correct it.

They were missing my mothers endowments though they did have her sealing to my Father, and One of my further back grandmothers seems to be sealed to six different men.

and that is what I found in just a few days. I am frankly flabergasted that a church sponsored site which shows the work done for people is SO messed up.

Do they just do ordiances for any name they find and hope it is sorted out later? or what?

The idea of the site is wonderful but the execution of it is terrible. I am very upset by it myself.

The Church makes a site available for people to do genealogy. Likewise, the Church accepts name submissions for work under the assumption that the people submitting those names have done their due diligence. The Church cannot possibly verify every name it receives, either to the Ancestral File or for temple work. In a way, it's sort of like Wikipedia: An awesome, amazing tool, and a great place to get started, but you certainly don't want to base your final essay on what's written there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am trying to reach the site to fill out a form for my mother. She passed away in 2010 and I want to do her work. How do I print out the form to take to the Temple to start the process by being baptized for her?

It says I am not registered but I have done work for others and have printed forms for this purpose. What am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My dead grandparents and parents were baptized in the temple way back in 1980's & 90's when internet is not yet known to me. Some of my relatives died 2 years ago and want them to baptized also. I had just acquired my lap top 9 months ago but I can not understand how to make them ready for temple baptism.

• 2 months later...

When I'm entering names on new family search--not for temple work, but entering information on my immediate family for family group sheets, how do I enter names of parents when they are not married, and they have had children? There are spaces to fill in for husband/wife, but the individuals I want to list are not married and they've had a child together. Would I still enter them as husband/wife and their children, and just leave blank a marriage date? Should I send a question to new family search, or is there a place where I can go for rules where questions such as this would be answered.

Never mind. I found the answer.

Edited by classylady

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you jerks I want new family search .org not lds.net quit hijacking the site.

You do realize that new.familysearch.org will be going away sometime early 2013. Got that from Ron Tanner at the Family History Conference last month.

Family Tree is up and running ...LIVE!!! Its amazing. If anyone needs the invitation link PM me. But if you log into familysearch.org you should already have the Family Tree link at the top.

Its an amazing improvement.

• 1 month later...

LDS member, My name is Curtis W Grubbs, I am 71 yrs old, I can't go to the Temple right now. I have worked on my family for the last 57 yrs, I sent some of my work to the DC Temple a number of years ago and they did the work for me. My son has done work for me also a cousin did some work. The Idaho Falls Temple is in walking distance of my house but they are telling me they can't do the work for me, I have been to the Family Center and they told me some things to do, but I didn't understand them and the woman at the Temple talked over me and was very rude, I was very suprised @ her attitude and couldn't belive she said that thy could not do the work from my family group sheets, this is what I have used before. If I sent the wrong sheets in all she had to do is tell me she had the wrong sheets. Iworked long hours to get them filled out and now I am told the work can't be done. what's the point? If this is her attitude I feel I have wasted my time and the responsibility fall on her. I am sure my relatives will not gor get her. THANK YOU cwg

• 6 months later...
Hidden

Is there a difference between using Family search if you are a member of the church or not?

Do members have access to more material or features?

I see you can register at familysearch either with your lds account or with a "regular" account?

Hidden

Is there a difference between using Family search if you are a member of the church or not?

Do members have access to more material or features? (besides about temple ceremonies for relatives?)

I see you can register at familysearch either with your lds account or with a "regular" account?

Is there a great difference?

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed a lot of family history on ancestry.com. I exported everything to a GEDCOM. I can see where i can upload a GEDCOM in familysearch.org, but it only uploads the info. Is there anyway to upload the info so that it populates all the information I have into my family tree. This would avoid a lot of redundant work.

My advice is to find out where the family history library is near you and ask the librarians? there to help you. There is software that you can buy that can be a help, but some of it is pricey and generally you still have to put in the people's information in initially. So unless this is going to happen a lot you may just want to "borrow" what they might have at your local family history library. But then it still mightl depend on how much the people there know about it and what software they have access to there. Things have been changing A LOT lately with the Church's software and some people are more computer savvy than others.

I have been putting my family history onto familytree one person at a time and it isn't that hard. It is a name and dates and places for each person. You might find when you get back a few generations that some of the information may already be in there which always makes me happy, especially if there is a family with 8 or more kids which seems to have happened a lot back in the day. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Since this old thread got bumped, I figured I would ask my question and someone may know. I do a ton of genealogy on ancestry.com and have GEDCOM it over to newfamilysearch.com. I had so much done that I stopped searching until I got caught up a bit in getting the work done. My husband and I like doing it ourselves.

Anyway... I started looking again, but now when I click to find out if there is a duplicate record at newfamilysearch it tells me Please use Family Tree to identify and remove possible duplicates.

My question is... should I just do ALL my adding names on Family Tree or do I continue to add names to newfamilysearch. Seem kinda odd to have two places to go.

Hope that made sense.

Angel