Question About Baptisms For The Dead?!!

JustSimplyMe

Hello everyone, my real question is can a young woman on her period (using a tampon of course) do baptisms? I remember when I was 13 or 14 at the DC temple they gave us papers saying if you were go talk to a temple worker but now they don't give out those papers anymore (it was a one time thing). My friend were just wondering about if you can if you are using a tampon? Thanks all.

I recall a couple of years ago, the sisters over at feminist mormon housewives (FMH) made an issue of this. As I recall from their efforts to discuss the issue, the Church's official, churchwide policy would be that you can participate. Some may request tampon use, but women should not be prohibited from performing baptisms simply because it is that time of the month.

Calling the temple matron should confirm this policy, but the ladies at FMH did find that it sometimes depended on the temple or even the individual who answered the phone at the temple. So that the policy was not consistently implemented across temples and across days/workshifts.

In the end, the conclusion seemed to be that they should let menstruating women perform baptisms.

Menstruating Mormons barred from temple proxy baptisms? | Following Faith | The Salt Lake Tribune

From the article:

"Performing baptisms in church temples is a sacred ordinance open to all members who are at least 12 years of age and who meet the standards of the church," Trotter said in a statement. "The decision of whether or not to participate in baptisms during a menstrual cycle is personal and left up to the individual."

Scott Trotter (quoted above) is an official Church spokesperson.

Thanks all. My friend also told me that I need to tell the temple matrons that I am on my period and I feel like that is a little to personal (I kind of am like eh why am I telling you all this). But, she says she is telling them that she is on hers but I said I don't want to tell them and if I can't do baptisms then I will stay home and go to the Rexburg temple next month.