Baptism Experiences

JodyTJ

Seeing as my journey to the LDS Church is finally reaching its climax in two months (starting lessons in September, and hope to get baptized in October), I was wondering if anyone would like to share their baptism day with us?

I do actually have some questions. Is there a lot of planning involved, including the convert, the missionaries and the bishop, etc? Does it have to be on a Sunday, or a day of your choosing? And how long is it typically?

I do actually have some questions. Is there a lot of planning involved, including the convert, the missionaries and the bishop, etc?

Most of the planning involved is picking a day that you'll be baptized. Once that is decided, the missionaries will schedule a time for your baptismal interview (more on that later) and then contact the ward leadership so that they can get the word out about your baptism to the ward so that (hopefully!) as many people from the ward can make plans to attend.

The baptismal interview is a brief interview done by another missionary, who is typically the leader of the missionaries that taught you. The interview is very simple, and is mostly just a confirmation that your missionaries have taught you what they should have. If you're nervous about this, ask your missionaries, they can give you all the questions they will ask (it's a standardized list of questions) and even prep you for it if you'd like. I can even post the questions here if you want.

Does it have to be on a Sunday, or a day of your choosing?

It can be any day you like (after the missionaries teach you, of course). Try to pick a day so that friends and family can come and attend, if they'd like. Don't be afraid to invite them, whether or not they are members of the LDS Church, because everybody is invited to attend baptisms and it will make your baptism that much more special.

Something you may want to watch out for is that even though receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is an integral part of your baptism, it is typically done at church the Sunday after your baptism before the Sacrament is taken. This gives a chance for everybody at church to know that there's a new member in the ward.

And how long is it typically?

It usually takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once you pick a day for your baptism, you'll also work with the missionaries to work out a program. This program typically contains, other than your baptism, hymns sung by those attending and talks given by the missionaries or other members of the ward. It's your baptism, so don't be afraid to make decisions about the hymns or talks, if you have any preferences. :)

Edited by LittleWyvern

Most of the planning involved is picking a day that you'll be baptized. Once that is decided, the missionaries will schedule a time for your baptismal interview (more on that later) and then contact the ward leadership so that they can get the word out about your baptism to the ward so that (hopefully!) as many people from the ward can make plans to attend.

The baptismal interview is a brief interview done by another missionary, who is typically the leader of the missionaries that taught you. The interview is very simple, and is mostly just a confirmation that your missionaries have taught you what they should have. If you're nervous about this, ask your missionaries, they can give you all the questions they will ask (it's a standardized list of questions) and even prep you for it if you'd like. I can even post the questions here if you want.

I think I have specific day of the week planned (don't know the exact date, though), and I hope it works for everyone. :D Will I also be meeting the Bishop as well? I think I might, because I am going to request doing the lessons at the meetinghouse. I want to do it there because I want to familiarize myself with the congregation, and because it's easier for the missionaries.

If you could, I would be very grateful if you did that for me. Any help in getting me closer to joining this church is great. I love this church. :)

It can be any day you like (after the missionaries teach you, of course). Try to pick a day so that friends and family can come and attend, if they'd like. Don't be afraid to invite them, whether or not they are members of the LDS Church, because everybody is invited to attend baptisms and it will make your baptism that much more special.

Something you may want to watch out for is that even though receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost is an integral part of your baptism, it is typically done at church the Sunday after your baptism before the Sacrament is taken. This gives a chance for everybody at church to know that there's a new member in the ward.

Unfortunately, most of my friends and family are either atheist, agnostic, or anti-Mormons. My parents don't particularly like Mormons (they call them "door knockers"). So I think that no family or friends will witness my baptism, which is a shame. :(

The only problem for me, is I will be working Sundays soon (people are leaving my department, and I am taking over someones Sunday shift, which I'm not happy about). That shift will start at 7 or 8 and end at either 3, 4, or 5. I hope I can go to an evening service. :)

It usually takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once you pick a day for your baptism, you'll also work with the missionaries to work out a program. This program typically contains, other than your baptism, hymns sung by those attending and talks given by the missionaries or other members of the ward. It's your baptism, so don't be afraid to make decisions about the hymns or talks, if you have any preferences. :)

That's very exciting, to be honest. I've never really planned a big occasion like this, so it'll be an experience in and of itself. :) I don't know too much about hymns, so I'll have to talk to the missionaries about that. I am really looking forward my baptism. :)

I think I have specific day of the week planned (don't know the exact date, though), and I hope it works for everyone. :D Will I also be meeting the Bishop as well? I think I might, because I am going to request doing the lessons at the meetinghouse. I want to do it there because I want to familiarize myself with the congregation, and because it's easier for the missionaries.

You could ask the missionaries to invite the Bishop over to one of your lessons. Either way I'm sure you'll meet the Bishop at church. He might see you and introduce yourself to him, but if not (he's a busy guy: he's in charge of the whole ward!), go introduce yourself. I'm sure he'd be very excited to see new members of the ward.

Also, if you want to know more people in the congregation, have the missionaries invite someone to one of your lessons. It's a good idea to make friends from the congregation early, because missionaries come and go all the time and having someone who knows the journey you've taken to join the Church who you can rely on being there makes everything easier.

If you could, I would be very grateful if you did that for me. Any help in getting me closer to joining this church is great. I love this church. :)

I've put them here so you can reference them. Easy, right? :)

The only problem for me, is I will be working Sundays soon (people are leaving my department, and I am taking over someones Sunday shift, which I'm not happy about). That shift will start at 7 or 8 and end at either 3, 4, or 5. I hope I can go to an evening service. :)

Ask the missionaries if they know of a ward in your area that meets in the evening. You may have to go to a meetinghouse farther away, but there should be one.

That's very exciting, to be honest. I've never really planned a big occasion like this, so it'll be an experience in and of itself. :) I don't know too much about hymns, so I'll have to talk to the missionaries about that. I am really looking forward my baptism. :)

Don't worry too much about it, the missionaries will help you with the planning. As far as the hymns go, just listen to the hymns sung at church. If there's one you particularly like, remember the number and ask the missionaries if they can put it in your program.

You could ask the missionaries to invite the Bishop over to one of your lessons. Either way I'm sure you'll meet the Bishop at church. He might see you and introduce yourself to him, but if not (he's a busy guy: he's in charge of the whole ward!), go introduce yourself. I'm sure he'd be very excited to see new members of the ward.

Also, if you want to know more people in the congregation, have the missionaries invite someone to one of your lessons. It's a good idea to make friends from the congregation early, because missionaries come and go all the time and having someone who knows the journey you've taken to join the Church who you can rely on being there makes everything easier.

I've put them here so you can reference them. Easy, right? :)

Ask the missionaries if they know of a ward in your area that meets in the evening. You may have to go to a meetinghouse farther away, but there should be one.

Don't worry too much about it, the missionaries will help you with the planning. As far as the hymns go, just listen to the hymns sung at church. If there's one you particularly like, remember the number and ask the missionaries if they can put it in your program.

Thanks, you've put a lot of my worries to rest. The online missionary I am talking to is going to phone and email the bishop for me (I can't phone because my parents are opposed, and have no way to find out his email), and I may get a response this week or early next week. So, the ball is rolling and I am on my way to becoming a Mormon. It's awesome. Can't wait to start planning for my baptism. :)

Anyone feel like sharing their baptism day?

Edited by JodyTJ

Hi Jody, and congrats. It's a big step, but one I've definitely been grateful.

I got baptized almost five years ago. Like you said may happen to you, none of my family was there, and most of the few friends I had made in the branch could come. My baptism had originally been planned for a time two months previous, but I backed out. Then it was for the Saturday before Christmas, but we got a storm the day before that, so the missionaries couldn't do my interview, and if finally got bumped a week, and either people were out of town, or they(including the branch president) were at a reception for one of my friends who got married the day after Christmas.

I was nervous, We were late(gotta love the MST) I hate being the center of attention, and even tho I'd been baptized twice before(in other churches), it still wasn't easy. One of my friends who talked a little told me I needed to smile, because this was a happy occasion. I was kind of just grateful when it was done that it hadn't had to be repeated for any reason. (if you have long hair, I recommend wearing it back).

One of the best parts? The couple from my church--who were inactive, and still are--came and brought all four of their kids, and then came to meetings the next few weeks. Even tho they've stopped, I'm glad I was able to show them that they're still reflections of their faith.

There's more that I'm probably forgetting, but these are what stand out in my mind.

Hi Jody, and congrats. It's a big step, but one I've definitely been grateful.

I got baptized almost five years ago. Like you said may happen to you, none of my family was there, and most of the few friends I had made in the branch could come. My baptism had originally been planned for a time two months previous, but I backed out. Then it was for the Saturday before Christmas, but we got a storm the day before that, so the missionaries couldn't do my interview, and if finally got bumped a week, and either people were out of town, or they(including the branch president) were at a reception for one of my friends who got married the day after Christmas.

I was nervous, We were late(gotta love the MST) I hate being the center of attention, and even tho I'd been baptized twice before(in other churches), it still wasn't easy. One of my friends who talked a little told me I needed to smile, because this was a happy occasion. I was kind of just grateful when it was done that it hadn't had to be repeated for any reason. (if you have long hair, I recommend wearing it back).

One of the best parts? The couple from my church--who were inactive, and still are--came and brought all four of their kids, and then came to meetings the next few weeks. Even tho they've stopped, I'm glad I was able to show them that they're still reflections of their faith.

There's more that I'm probably forgetting, but these are what stand out in my mind.

It is pretty exciting, and I've been dreaming of how it'll play out (with different outcomes :P). I think for me, I will do the lessons with the missionaries for a month (all of September, and maybe some of October), and see when I can schedule my baptism.

I am 100% sure I'm going to be nervous but, I don't think I'll stop smiling. I'll be smiling the whole time. xD I also don't like being the centre of attention, but I guess I can live with that for at least an hour. :) I don't have to worry about long hair, I'm a guy (I know my name is a bit confusing), and have short hair. xD

I can't wait to post a thread in the next two months with the title "I'm a Mormon". :)