What happens to a missionary who...

ScullyItsMe

breaks the law of chastity?

Are you using "breaks the law of chastity" as a euphemism for having premarital sex?

It's obvious they're sent home.. are the kicked out of the church/unable to be married in the temple? Since they've broken temple covenants.. can they repent?

There is only one unpardonable sin, and that is denying the Holy Ghost.

There is only one unpardonable sin, and that is denying the Holy Ghost.

Sorry for the threadjack, but I thought that murder was also an unpardonable sin.

Back to original topic, yes you can repent, and I think you can even go back to the mission field after a time (DO NOT QUOTE ME, I AM NOT SURE!) BUT, you will have to confess to the Bishop.

A missionary that has premarital sex while serving a mission has committed a grievous sin.

They will be sent home and they will face church discipline.

How church discipline plays out depends on many factors the biggest of which is the mindset of the missionary. They can expect to lose access to the temple and church related things for a while. The point of it all is to help the missionary get right again with the Lord and to have such things restored. How long that takes is mostly going to depend on how quickly they truly and completely repent. Which can take awhile.

A missionary that has premarital sex while serving a mission has committed a grievous sin.

They will be sent home and they will face church discipline.

How church discipline plays out depends on many factors the biggest of which is the mindset of the missionary. They can expect to lose access to the temple and church related things for a while. The point of it all is to help the missionary get right again with the Lord and to have such things restored. How long that takes is mostly going to depend on how quickly they truly and completely repent. Which can take awhile.

One of the harder parts of such a situation, is continuing in their church attendance when they are sent home before their normal time.

It's not hard to figure out if someone returns home from their mission after only serving a few months (or a few months shy of their normal arrival time) what may have happened.

They will feel embarrassed when they attend church... so they may decide that's its socially easier to just go inactive. It's not the way to go, but I think it's very common for such a situation.

breaks the law of chastity? It's obvious they're sent home.. are they kicked out of the church/unable to be married in the temple? Since they've broken temple covenants.. can they repent?

Yes they can repent.. what happens to them depends on how and what they are willing to go through to repent of it.