Being a faithful LDS in college

Hi everyone!

This Sunday I will be baptized and become a Latter-Day Saint!! The day after I am leaving home to start my junior year of college. I attend a Catholic university in a not heavily LDS populated area. So my question is, how do I stay a faithful Latter-Day Saint in college?

I will be around nonLDS most of the time (heck, I'll be the only one that I know of on campus). I found the local YSA branch (25 min using public transit).

But in the day to day how can I stay a faithful Latter-Day Saint?

Thanks so much and God bless!

But in the day to day how can I stay a faithful Latter-Day Saint?

It seems the main concern here is socialization, as otherwise being at college has the same answers as not being at college (e.g. scripture study, church attendance, prayer...). You'll have an opportunity to meet other LDS at the YSA branch, and don't rule out socialization with those attending the family ward/branch (though it is something that is less likely to just fall into place it still might just happen). Concerning socializing with non-LDS, just make sure those you socialize with respect your religious decision (note that respect is not the same thing as agreement) the same way you respect theirs.

Or am I misreading you?

Edited by Dravin

I guess my concern is this. Right now, I am at home for the summer. I have nothing to do but relax, read and meet with the missionaries. This has made it easy to grow in faith and peace. But how does someone who is is a new convert keep strong in tje faith while in the "reap world"? How have people been able to keep the faith while among those who don't share the same values?

Socialization is part of it. I'm not going to have a lot of free time and church is further there than it is now. And I'm starting to realize that this is not the church for shy people, especially in YSA.

and luckily my friends (who are all nonLDS) that I have told about my conversion have been super supportive and loving towards me and reassure me rhat they're happy for me and glad I was able to find God here.

In the UK we dont have many YSA wards but we do have great institute programs - My nearest one was over an hour away by public transport but I made the effort to go every week - and it was totally worth it as I am still friends with the friends I made through institute.

I totally understand what you mean about it being hard to be shy and in the church. I am a bookworm and house mouse by nature but at 19 I decided that I wouldn't get anywhere by giving in to those desires to stay home and read and started forcing myself to travel to institute (over an hour away) and force myself to make the effort to make friends and get to know people. It still isn't easy for me but putting the face is getting easier. As you do what you know Heavenly Father wants you to do he blesses you with the ability to continue doing it.

I was also blessed by heavenly father in that although for the first 2 years I was a uni I was the only LDS living in dorms at my campus (we have about 1000 in those dorms) I was put in a corridor where 9 of the other 11 residents were either Muslim. Sikh or Hindu - meaning that while our theology was very different they lived very similar lives to me - clean of speech, modest dressing, not drinking or drugs or smoking etc - and we became friends and remained so for the whole time we were at uni. Having friends who lived the same standards made it alot easier to stay strong myself.

Edited by Smudge

First I'd like to say congradulations on your up coming baptism!! This is wonderful news. In college or out of college, at work etc.its really the same thing. Have your daily am prayers, pray over your meals,and before you go to bed. Ask the Lord for His help. He wants to hear from you, and he wants you to ask him, and learn to put your trust and faith in him, read the scriptures, and go to church. Talk to your new Bishop let him know u are a new convert, join in the churchs actitivies, they might have a family home evening group you can join and be a part of. Make friends in your current ward and the one you will be going too. Strive to live the gospel. You can do it, I know you can. Will it be hard, it might at times. You will have temptations, others might put u down for your choice of faith, dont let them get to you. This will not just happen in your college yrs but throu out your work life, etc. Know that GOd will help you with all things. YOu just put the effort in as much as you can, and He will add his support, help, and love....:)