Quad or Triple Combination?

andypg

Quad or Triple Combination  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Quad or Triple Combination

• Quad
    • Triple Combination
    • Depends (please explain)

I will soon be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and am thinking that once a member, I should have all the Standard Works of Scripture with me. This has led to my stuck between a quad and a triple combination.

I currently have a paperback KJV the missionaries gave me and a hard cover Book of Mormon that I use to highlight and study. However, I would like to have all the scriptures with me (as I plan on reading the Pearl of Great Price next and then the D&C).

Having a triple combination will be less bulky but more things to carry. And if I want both the combination and Bible to match, it will be much more expensive.

A quad is bulky and big, but you have everything in one place. All the scriptures in one place. And if you're at a prayer group or Bible study group with nonLDS, like I will be (I go to a Catholic university with many devout Catholic friends), it can be a great teaching moment on why my book is so large and share other scriptures.

Which do you prefer and why? Which would you recommend for me?

Oh, and which size is best for writing notes?

Thanks!

you can also download all the scriptures, plus the hyum book, plus priesthood book, etc on a ipad as well so thats another option. the choice is up to you it doesnt matter. i have the quad and triple was a gift its in large print and heavier. i like the quad best but thinking of getting a ipad just because it wont weigh much.

you can also download all the scriptures, plus the hyum book, plus priesthood book, etc on a ipad as well so thats another option. the choice is up to you it doesnt matter. i have the quad and triple was a gift its in large print and heavier. i like the quad best but thinking of getting a ipad just because it wont weigh much.

The Elder's Quorum in my YSA branch is studying the Teachings of Eliza Snow manual so I use my phone for that. But usually for church I prefer the physical copy of the scriptures. I was thrown off my first day at church with the amount of iPads people were using during Sacrament Meeting.

I'm strongly leaning towards a quad. But I don't know of it is good for note taking. I'm planning on taking it with me for lunch breaks, breaks between classes and while on the shuttle to and from different campus locations!

I am going to immerse myself in the scriptures!

What kind of notes are talking about? Personally, I don't think there isn't a difference in the triple or quad when it comes to writing notes in the margins. The margins are the same, whether triple or quad. If you are talking other kind of notes, then I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I appreciated having a quad because I have all the scriptures together which is easier to deal with rather than putting down one book to pick up another. That's just my opinion and shows how lazy I am.

The Elder's Quorum in my YSA branch is studying the Teachings of Eliza Snow manual so I use my phone for that. But usually for church I prefer the physical copy of the scriptures. I was thrown off my first day at church with the amount of iPads people were using during Sacrament Meeting.

I'm strongly leaning towards a quad. But I don't know of it is good for note taking. I'm planning on taking it with me for lunch breaks, breaks between classes and while on the shuttle to and from different campus locations!

I am going to immerse myself in the scriptures!

oh yea u can download your scriptures on the phone too. I forgot cause Im not tech savory and I am older.

I use the the church on line Life of the prophets too its lorenzo snow, eliza snow is his sister. If i have to prepair a lesson i use both the on line where i can underline what i want too but i prefer to use the book so i can write in it its just easier for me....so its your prefrance. p.s. please forgive me on my

spelling I am not good at it lol...no spell check on here lol...:eek: look at all your options and deside what will work best for you and your situation. with the ipad you can listen too and read. yep so many options

Edited by Roseslipper

What kind of notes are talking about? Personally, I don't think there isn't a difference in the triple or quad when it comes to writing notes in the margins. The margins are the same, whether triple or quad. If you are talking other kind of notes, then I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I appreciated having a quad because I have all the scriptures together which is easier to deal with rather than putting down one book to pick up another. That's just my opinion and shows how lazy I am.

The notes I take are just observations, thoughts and parallels. With regard to this, I'm mostly wondering about size (large or regular).

I called the LDS store to ask for dimensions and after drawing them out, the large looks too big and the regular too small. Though the regular is a bit bigger than the paperback KJV the missionaries gave me and it's a good size. Though I can't imagine how THICK a quad would be if that Bible is already quite thick.

and yeah, I think I prefer to have them all in one place.

The notes I take are just observations, thoughts and parallels. With regard to this, I'm mostly wondering about size (large or regular).

I called the LDS store to ask for dimensions and after drawing them out, the large looks too big and the regular too small. Though the regular is a bit bigger than the paperback KJV the missionaries gave me and it's a good size. Though I can't imagine how THICK a quad would be if that Bible is already quite thick.

and yeah, I think I prefer to have them all in one place.

I'm buying my Quad this Saturday from Deseret Book (via its website), and I'll most likely buy the regular. Don't worry about the thickness, I think you'll get used to it. I know I will. ;)

Edited by JodyTJ

I'm buying my Quad this Saturday from Deseret Book (via its website), and I'll most likely buy the regular. Don't worry about the thickness, I think you'll get used to it. I know I will. ;)

I hope so! It looks huge! I may ask someone from my YSA branch to see their quad and see how I feel about it. Total creeper lol.

I'm excited about this!! Though I'll probably wait until I finish reading my current copy of the Book of Mormon first. I have the Bible and BoM. This should be enough for now. I will upgrade in a month or so. Maybe sooner as a baptism gift to myself lol

BTW, I think it's cheaper to buy off of store.lds.org

I hope so! It looks huge! I may ask someone from my YSA branch to see their quad and see how I feel about it. Total creeper lol.

I'm excited about this!! Though I'll probably wait until I finish reading my current copy of the Book of Mormon first. I have the Bible and BoM. This should be enough for now. I will upgrade in a month or so. Maybe sooner as a baptism gift to myself lol

BTW, I think it's cheaper to buy off of store.lds.org

haha

I'm buying it off of Deseret Book because I am also buying the biography of Thomas S. Monson. Not sure if the LDS Store has that though.

I was always liked the Triple and the Bible. Mostly because you could have both open at the same time. But you do have to go back and forth.

But now I'm using it on my tablet (Android). You create an account on LDS.org. Any notes, you can tag things, any scriptures you mark are then put in the cloud or online. Pretty much everything is there forever (hoping the church backs up their computers).

I do this with the Snow manual and gospel Principle manual.

We find it funny all of us using our electronic devices because in the manual where it has a reference to a scripture you just click it and it takes you there. We laugh when the teacher says , can somebody find such and such scripture and let me know when you have found it.

But with that said, and you being new, I think it probably is a good idea to start out with the hard copy of the scriptures.

I've mentioned elsewhere my preference for a triple and separate Bible. My scriptures are regular sized, but if I could do it over again I'd get large so as to have more space for marginal notes.

If you get the triple and separate Bible, consider investing in a case for them as well.

If you get the triple and separate Bible, consider investing in a case for them as well.

Also with the right case, one with interior pockets you can slip the covers into, you can leave the scriptures in it and still read and manipulate them. This leaves you with a 'quad' that you can take apart if you so desire.

Ok, so now here's a question in the actual products.

is there a huge difference between the simulated leather and genuine leather? Is one soft and the other hard? Is one better as far as binding? It's a huge book so binding is important.

And would you recommend the thumb tabs since I am new or is it fairly easy to find things without one?

(I really don't like that I can't touch a physical copy and have to rely on 2 websites with no reviews of the product.)

Ok, so now here's a question in the actual products.

is there a huge difference between the simulated leather and genuine leather? Is one soft and the other hard? Is one better as far as binding? It's a huge book so binding is important.

And would you recommend the thumb tabs since I am new or is it fairly easy to find things without one?

(I really don't like that I can't touch a physical copy and have to rely on 2 websites with no reviews of the product.)

I am getting mine with the thumb tabs. I have trouble finding certain books in a normal Bible. Imagine having to find a specific book or verse in the Quad.. :eek:

I'm not to sure if the quality is different between stimulated or genuine leather, I'd like to know as well.

Are you getting the new August edition, or are you getting the 1981 edition of the scriptures?

Edited by JodyTJ

I am getting mine with the thumb tabs. I have trouble finding certain books in a normal Bible. Imagine having to find a specific book or verse in the Quad.. :eek:

I'm not to sure if the quality is different between stimulated or genuine leather, I'd like to know as well.

Are you getting the new August edition, or are you getting the 1981 edition of the scriptures?

I have no problem finding things in the Bible (which is strange for a Catholic, we barely open them). Though I always have a hard time looking for passages in the Book of Mormon when with the missionaries. Tabs may help with that (and with the D&C).

As far as the leathers go, I like my Bibles to have soft, flimsy leather. It feels better when opening it than the harder leather covers.

But honestly, with a book this size, it's the binding I'm worried about. The regular size seems great, but the large seems like it'll stay together longer (but I think it looks too big). Anyone have any experience with this binding they want to give to us newbies?

I want to get mine once I finish my current copy of the Book of Mormon, but I'm so excited I may not be able to wait!!

I have never had a problem with the binding on my normal sized scriptures.

I have a military version of the Book of Mormon (very small) that I think I got sometime between 1988 and 1991. A chunck of the pages on that one have come loose.

The scriptures (Spanish triple combination and Spanish Bible) I used during my mission (which was from 1991 to 1993) still have intact bindings but the cover of one has split where I can see the binding but hasn't come completely off. I have used these on and off since my mission.

A quad I got sometime before 2003 is still in good condition.

I read in the scriptures nightly and take them to church with me every Sunday. For the past few years I have used the above mentioned quad.

In my experience if you treat your scriptures good you won't have a problem with the binding. I like what it said about the genuine leather of the new English Edition and how to care for it that I found on the churches web site. Go to this link: 2013 Edition Scriptures and scroll to the bottom section labeled

Availability and click the link for find out more. Then look at the Additional Questions.

I have never had a problem with the binding on my normal sized scriptures.

I have a military version of the Book of Mormon (very small) that I think I got sometime between 1988 and 1991. A chunck of the pages on that one have come loose.

The scriptures (Spanish triple combination and Spanish Bible) I used during my mission (which was from 1991 to 1993) still have intact bindings but the cover of one has split where I can see the binding but hasn't come completely off. I have used these on and off since my mission.

A quad I got sometime before 2003 is still in good condition.

I read in the scriptures nightly and take them to church with me every Sunday. For the past few years I have used the above mentioned quad.

In my experience if you treat your scriptures good you won't have a problem with the binding. I like what it said about the genuine leather of the new English Edition and how to care for it that I found on the churches web site. Go to this link: 2013 Edition Scriptures and scroll to the bottom section labeled

Availability and click the link for find out more. Then look at the Additional Questions.

Thanks so much. This helps. I plan on taking my scriptures with me to school on a daily basis to study and read in my free time so it'll have to last beyond just Sunday usage.

From what lds.org says, the genuine leather seems like the best choice. While it's more expensive, it seems like it'll last me.

(Though part of me is starting to think of getting a paperback triple for day to day. But I may just go with the regular quad).

I like the sound of the genuine leather and will probably buy a triple and the Bible with genuine leather soon. I want the new edition even though our leaders say I don't have to buy them.

The scriptures I used during my mission may have gotten the most use than any of my scriptures since I was opening them and reading from them many many times every day. I don't think the cover on my triple broke until sometime after my mission.

I like the sound of the genuine leather and will probably buy a triple and the Bible with genuine leather soon. I want the new edition even though our leaders say I don't have to buy them.

The scriptures I used during my mission may have gotten the most use than any of my scriptures since I was opening them and reading from them many many times every day. I don't think the cover on my triple broke until sometime after my mission.

Yeah, the triple looks more durable, but as far as getting matching triple and Bible set, it's more expensive and a quad leads to more opportunities to evangelize (or at least start a conversation) among nonLDS friends ("why is your Bible so HUGE?!").

were the ones you used on your mission leather or the standard paperback?

I loved my Triple and Bible set I used on my mission. Even though those scriptures are old, and don't have all the scripture references that the new sets have, this old set is still my go-to scriptures when I'm trying to find something.

With that said, I now have a smaller quad that I take with me to church. It fits easily into my purse or bag. (I also have all the scriptures down-loaded onto my iphone). Lately, I seem to be doing most of my personal reading on the iPhone because I have it with me ALL the time. I can read late at night on the phone without bothering my husband.

Yeah, the triple looks more durable, but as far as getting matching triple and Bible set, it's more expensive and a quad leads to more opportunities to evangelize (or at least start a conversation) among nonLDS friends ("why is your Bible so HUGE?!").

were the ones you used on your mission leather or the standard paperback?

If you want the genuine leather and you also want the new editions of the scriptures, you'll have to wait till October. However, if you want the stimulated leather, you can get them now. I would rather get the genuine leather, but like you, I am very excited. :D

Edited by JodyTJ

If you want the genuine leather and you also want the new editions of the scriptures, you'll have to wait till October. However, if you want the stimulated leather, you can get them now. I would rather get the genuine leather, but like you, I am very excited. :D

The genuine leather regular quads are in stock on store.lds.org and cheaper than the Deseret ones (don't know why).

The genuine leather regular quads are in stock on store.lds.org and cheaper than the Deseret ones (don't know why).

What edition are you talking about? I heard that the genuine leather for the 2013 edition of the scriptures isn't coming until October, or sometime in the fall.

Genuine Leather Quad Combination, Regular, Thumb-indexed, 2013 Edition - store.lds.org

the 2013 Edition is available now!

(Why did I have to glance at the prices of the simulated leather? Lol

I just checked, and it says only the regular is shipping. My bad. :P Well, looks like I don't have to wait til October after all. :D

Btw, does store.LDS.org use missionaries to deliver products or just normal shipping companies, like UPS or Canada Post? That's one reason why I am hesitant to use store.LDS.org because I don't want my parents knowing I am buying LDS scripture.

What colour are you getting, black or burgundy? I'm torn, because both look really nice.

Edited by JodyTJ