Amish Saints

Churchmouse

No need to clean your specs, you read right.

In Knox County , Ohio, three Amish families have joined the church. They still wear the Amish clothing and use their horse and buggy, but they are full members and the men have received the priesthood. We heard about this a few months ago because we used to belong to the same ward.

Two weeks ago while we were at the temple their youth came with the other youth from that ward to do baptisms for the dead. One thing that looked strange was that the girls were wearing their prayer caps. In our prayer meeting that same morning the temple presidency told us that the evening before the adults had received their endowments and the families had been sealed.

I asked someone close to the situation how they came to find the Church? His reply, "One of them got hold of a Book of Mormon".

Just the other week, whilst reading an Amish romance novel (my guilty pleasure, so sue me), I was wondering if any Amish had joined the Church.

Culturally Amish and being shunned or not... I don't know. From what I gather, Amish communities are so varied!

Just the other week, whilst reading an Amish romance novel (my guilty pleasure, so sue me), I was wondering if any Amish had joined the Church.

Culturally Amish and being shunned or not... I don't know. From what I gather, Amish communities are so varied!

Amish Romance Novel huh? Are those better than the Star Trek Romance novels that Pam reads? ^_^

That may be, but certainly they are still "Culturally Amish".

That's just it. Amish culture is tied to their religion to the Nth degree more than anyone else's - including LDS. The Amish truly live their religion. I'm not saying that their religion is in direct conflict with other Christians, it's certainly not and other Christians could certainly learn much about being Christian from them. I understand what you're saying - they've always had this lifestyle and Amish is their culture, but it's also their religion and the two are inseparable. People, including Amish and former Amish, are free to live as they please, drive cars of they want, have electricity if they want, etc. But there is a huge part of their culture that these "Amish Saints" are certainly no longer a part of - fellowship of the Amish. In a very real sense, they are no more Amish than a Catholic or Jew is still Catholic or Jewish after becoming LDS. Their way of dress. etc., does not make them Amish any more than yours makes you LDS, their religion makes them Amish.

I'd love to be their visiting teacher. I've been entranced by Amish culture for a long time. I ran into a group of Amish folks hiking the Hidden Lake trail in Glacier National Park this summer. It was delightful to see them there next to the glacier peaks and mountain goats.

Edited by carlimac

That's just it. Amish culture is tied to their religion to the Nth degree more than anyone else's - including LDS. The Amish truly live their religion. I'm not saying that their religion is in direct conflict with other Christians, it's certainly not and other Christians could certainly learn much about being Christian from them. I understand what you're saying - they've always had this lifestyle and Amish is their culture, but it's also their religion and the two are inseparable. People, including Amish and former Amish, are free to live as they please, drive cars of they want, have electricity if they want, etc. But there is a huge part of their culture that these "Amish Saints" are certainly no longer a part of - fellowship of the Amish. In a very real sense, they are no more Amish than a Catholic or Jew is still Catholic or Jewish after becoming LDS. Their way of dress. etc., does not make them Amish any more than yours makes you LDS, their religion makes them Amish.

I disagree. They may have been shunned from the community but "Amish" doesn't only refer to their religion. It describes a way of life, dress, behavior, and history that is removed from the modern world. They can very much still be Amish and LDS at the same time.

Just because I was born in the USA and don't often wear a kilt, I'm still Scottish. It runs in my blood and I dare you to try to remove it.

I disagree. They may have been shunned from the community but "Amish" doesn't only refer to their religion. It describes a way of life, dress, behavior, and history that is removed from the modern world. They can very much still be Amish and LDS at the same time.

Just because I was born in the USA and don't often wear a kilt, I'm still Scottish. It runs in my blood and I dare you to try to remove it.

You are welcome to disagree, that is the greatest beauty of our free country. I'll pass on trying to remove the kilt.

This is getting to be less and less an issue for some Amish communities. Some have so much contact w/English that they are now being more careful on who they shun, etc. And there is a growing community of Mennonites (many Amish are switching over) and more liberal sects of Amish. Some are even using cell phones, etc. We have many in our area in Indiana that are adapting with the changes.

Well, if we are going to baptize all the people, nations, and tongues, we'd better get used to idea that some of them wear different clothes.

Well said.

In southern Utah there were some folks that I remember that totally sported the FLDS attire but were practicing Mormons. It was a bit strange but I think it'd be more strange to people in other states seeing it.

Amish Romance Novel huh? Are those better than the Star Trek Romance novels that Pam reads? ^_^

They're pretty good. I'm reading "Big Decision" now. I've read the other two of this three book set and several other series. What can I say? My wife brings them home from the library. I have to read something:D:)

OK, so if I convert back to Catholicism (or any other church for that matter), but continue to wear my temple garments, live the Word of Wisdom, sustain the prophet in general conference, and have family home evening every week, am I a Mormon Catholic?

Excellent philosophical question.

I'd give a tentative "yes" on all but the garment situation, since that is symbolic of very specific covenants.