Homeschooling

Guest mamacat

Guest mamacat

we are a homeschooling mom and babe....soon to be 5 yr old son. his personality is, to make somewhat of an understatment, dynamic and precocious. :)

he's my only child, and while i am enthusiastic about our homeschooling prospect, i know that we will need a lot of guidance in our educational pursuits.

we are new also to the LdS infrastructure and culture, but thus far, i am so pleased with having it as a framework for our homeschooling goals. i think that the missing ingredient in most education is the spiritual component, and i love the way in which LDS emphasizes the priority aind importance of children's development and spiritual growth.

our current direction is primarily waldorf education, though we are just embarking on this path, and require much guidance in this area....well in the whole homeshcooling arena really.

i'm also kind of intrigued with the concept of unschooling...but that seems a sea in which i'm not that confident of my navigational capacity, lol. at present, we incorporate into our program bits and pieces of what seems to work at the time. i've also peeked at the LDS homeschooling site, which appears an excellent anchor and source of very good information and ideas. i was so impressed with the practical nature of this site. it provided much information that i couldn't find elsewhere, and i found the charlotte mason educational track featured there intriguing as well. though i haven't looked much into that system.

anyway, i would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or experiences that anyone would care to share here on this topic, esp from an lds perspective. thanks :)

love, mamacat

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are a homeschooling mom and babe....soon to be 5 yr old son. his personality is, to make somewhat of an understatment, dynamic and precocious. :)

he's my only child, and while i am enthusiastic about our homeschooling prospect, i know that we will need a lot of guidance in our educational pursuits.

we are new also to the LdS infrastructure and culture, but thus far, i am so pleased with having it as a framework for our homeschooling goals. i think that the missing ingredient in most education is the spiritual component, and i love the way in which LDS emphasizes the priority aind importance of children's development and spiritual growth.

our current direction is primarily waldorf education, though we are just embarking on this path, and require much guidance in this area....well in the whole homeshcooling arena really.

i'm also kind of intrigued with the concept of unschooling...but that seems a sea in which i'm not that confident of my navigational capacity, lol. at present, we incorporate into our program bits and pieces of what seems to work at the time. i've also peeked at the LDS homeschooling site, which appears an excellent anchor and source of very good information and ideas. i was so impressed with the practical nature of this site. it provided much information that i couldn't find elsewhere, and i found the charlotte mason educational track featured there intriguing as well. though i haven't looked much into that system.

anyway, i would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or experiences that anyone would care to share here on this topic, esp from an lds perspective. thanks :)

love, mamacat

The LDS homeschooling site by Diane Hopkin and her family is a neat site One time she posted this Curriculum Guide for the Latterday Homeschool. It gave lots of great ideas to teach students of all ages and how to integrate different ages. Many things can be done by using what is around you. She operates a Family Resources online LDS store also where you can get the homeschool materials referenced. That guide may be a great place to start. Also each month an online LDS homeschooling newsletter called the Sentinel is sent out.

DTLK has lots of lesson ideas especially for the younger kids.

There is the Home Legal Defense Association that you can join. On it they have online auctions for educational materials since Ebay won't allow the sale of used curriculum/teachers manuals anymore.

Outshined has lots of good stuff on his web site.

Consider what skills and concepts they need to learn. Find out what skills other kids in the same grade need to know. Use that knowledge to develop a program thats satisfying to you and the needs of your family while making sure your child is keeps up with what the other kids need to know.

Use your local libraries, museums, science centers, zoos, aquariums... whatever resources you can find to help reinforce and teach needed skills.

Use your scriptures, Friend magazines, local libraries to come up with ideas. Check out garage sales, online sales....

Great topic will probably give more ideas when I have more time.

Best wishes on your decision!

I am homeschooling some of my children. I don't know that I have any bits of wisdom. For my ten year old daughter, at this time, I prepare a 'letter' for her that outlines what I expect to be accomplished by the end of the week. She works at her own pace, although generally in the mornings I require school time. There is a lot in the letter she can do herself, and she chooses what to work on in what order, and there are some things in the letter that I tell her we need to do together, and if she is ready to do them, then I sit down with her and teach. I am gradually being able to do this in an organic, flowing manner, with the rest of my duties. I go from doing my dishes, to leaving them in midstream to explain a math problem, to calling on the phone for my visiting teaching appointments, to doing a project with the smaller son, to holding the baby and playing a ball game with him, back to my dishes, writing a scene on my novel, getting the kids to help me with laundry folding, a moment for a mid day prayer and scripture verse, check my investments online, -- you get the idea. I realize this won't work for everyone. But I simply cannot say that at this hour this will be done and at this hour will be this, because every day is too different for me. I have a master 'to do' list with a general idea of when to get things done, but the three kids need me at different times, so I have to allow myself to be available to them when they need me; plus then the big kids get home in the afternoon. One thing my ten year old daughter has been doing all year long is preparing a 7 page research paper on Mermaids. With my son, we had just been going through a fun work book Scholastic puts out, some things he can do himself, some with me. He's 7. This workbook integrates several disciplines in the work pages and project ideas they come up with.

Don't think you have to fall into the trap of spending lots of money. Especially at the younger grades. Its easy to go wild and get lots of things you'll never use. Sometimes the best teaching items are things found right in your home or even at a dollar type store. ;)

Good topic. Will add more later.

My wife and I recently started kicking the idea of homeschooling our children around. We are going to go to a homeschool convention in CA later this year. I never saw myself doing homeschool. Too many kooks (from my experience)! I guess I'm turning into one myself. :)

I homeschooled our first child for pre-k and kindergarden. But I realized he was a gifted soul who needed more than I could provide him so I sent him to public school where he has continued to excell.

I think I gave him a good foundation though. I started him on a montesorri curriculum. It was exepensive to buy some of the things, but they have lasted through our two younger children.

Homeschool was good for a while, but I found I was not prepared enough nor dedicated enough to continue it.

My wife and I recently started kicking the idea of homeschooling our children around. We are going to go to a homeschool convention in CA later this year. I never saw myself doing homeschool. Too many kooks (from my experience)! I guess I'm turning into one myself. :)

Homeschooling is a great option for some but not for everyone.

Its good to have such freedoms available. Children get wholistic learning in a loving environment. Classes are smaller for one and you don't have the politics involved in public education.

Dr T. You might be interested in exploring the political end of homeschooling. It might prove to be very educational and motivating. There are groups in our country who'd like to see homeschooling go away or at least profit from it. I believe if people don't exercise their right when it fits into their families desires and circumstances this right may be lost. Just as many of our other rights are slipping away (gun control, freedom of speech etc). People should be able to choose the best educational option for their family whether it be public school, private school, or homeschool. For everyone the choice is different.

In parts of Europe, Germany for instance, homeschooling is not legal. Many families want the opportunity to homeschool their children. The HSDLA is fighting some serious situations over there where kids have been removed from the home and placed in institutions or state custody. It wasn't so long ago, just over 60 years that Hitler forced the children to go through state programming too. Those who didn't agree. Well you know... :(

Its scary to have only government operated choices available. There needs to be a system of check and balances in my opinion.

I am intrigued by this idea. This is definitely an American thing, we dont 'homeschool' over here. I dont think it could benefit a child as much educationally as attending school can. I went to a fantastic school and my parents could never in a million years have taught me to the standard I was. Plus, there are national set exams, so you have to follow a strict curriculum and are assessed along the way. I have seen a lot of homeschooled missionaries-we had one such individual from Utah who was homeschooled. He was so naive bless him, coming to england was a huge shock for him. He thought it was all little cottages and afternoon tea. In the course of knowing him we learnt that he did not realise England was an island! He thought it was joined to the rest of europe! I was absolutely staggered by this having been introduced to a map of the world before I could even read. His knowledge was probably as basic as a primary school child, we spent DAs teaching him things because he knew so little. He didnt know the capitals of many obvious countries in the world, had never heard of a few well known historical figures in my opinion. He knew all the American presidents and that was probably the biggest thing he knew. We have had many similar elders all homeschooled from Utah.

So, my question is to those of you who homeschool-why? Why not send them to a proper educational institution where the people are trained and specifically qualified to teach in a particluar subject? Id be interested to know the answer to this because personally I cant see any benefits-No social interaction with other children, team work or learning confidence and independance in a new environment can only hinder a childs progress surely? I'm not trying to be argumentative I just cant see why anybody would choose this route. look forward to your answers!

Aphrodite lots of good questions and observations :) .

This is just a very quick, brief, generalized response to them.

First, its unfortunate that you had such bad experiences with homeschooled children :( . There are many people who were homeschooled at one time who are very knowledgeable, well rounded people too. Many great leaders have been homeschooled, for example. As anything the homeschooling commitment should be weighed heavily and all diligence should be made to educate properly. The educating parents have lots of responsibilites to ensure their children get the knowledge and skills they need. Not everyone takes it seriously.

As far as your question about socialization. Many opportunities exist for kids to be socialized outside the school setting too. There are lots of good homeschooling groups especially when many different people do it in a given area. Also most homeschoolers are exposed to other kids through activities, sports or community groups outside the home. It depends on the area you live in as to the variety. The good thing is you have more control over what your child is exposed to in their youngest years and can be more aware of what is going on in their life. Minimizing outside threats.

Let me ask you a rhetorical question, what socialization are they actually getting at school sitting behind a desk either? Or with kids in their grade only? The school classroom is not always reflective of life outside of it.

As for them going to school because of trained professionals.. A degree does not always make someone qualified either. Some professional teachers are out of touch, don't care to reach their students or working the job for reasons other than teaching. Whereas a parent has a vested interest in making sure their child suceeds. They will want to see their child out of their home as a functioning adult at some point.

In my opinion the best teachers are ones who can know where to find and recognize knowledge and then share it with others. There are many resources available to help homeschooling parents learn the skills or places to go for help. The wise homeschooling teacher seeks them out.

I don't know what education is like in your country but learning in the US schools is not always the best option either depending on your location. Many students are passed without being able to do basic things like reading or drop out. Students often learn for the tests but never really learn how to think through the knowledge and creatively use it. So it doesn't stay with them. They're so used to giving back what they think the teacher wants to hear. When the teacher isn't around its gone. There is also violence, bullying, the new politically correct fad or teaching style of the day. Meanwhile many kids are failing or dropping out.

Homeschooling if done right can strengthen free, knowledgeable thinkers who have a balanced life. It gives power back to the individual student and family. Education can be better geared toward a particular students needs and interest. In the schools children must be instructed with a one shoe fits all education. There is no stopping back to look at a specific area as need or interest allows. Those who don't keep upare lost. The best learning takes place when someone is ready and has interest. The schools don't have the time or ability to adequately captivate the students mind.

Homeschoolers many times are not as affected by what others are doing. They know how to get the job done and problem solve. They have interactions with people of all age groups and not just whatever grade they are in. Colleges, employers and the military are starting to really take notice and seek out homeschoolers.

I am intrigued by this idea. This is definitely an American thing, we dont 'homeschool' over here. I dont think it could benefit a child as much educationally as attending school can. I went to a fantastic school and my parents could never in a million years have taught me to the standard I was. Plus, there are national set exams, so you have to follow a strict curriculum and are assessed along the way. I have seen a lot of homeschooled missionaries-we had one such individual from Utah who was homeschooled. He was so naive bless him, coming to england was a huge shock for him. He thought it was all little cottages and afternoon tea. In the course of knowing him we learnt that he did not realise England was an island! He thought it was joined to the rest of europe! I was absolutely staggered by this having been introduced to a map of the world before I could even read. His knowledge was probably as basic as a primary school child, we spent DAs teaching him things because he knew so little. He didnt know the capitals of many obvious countries in the world, had never heard of a few well known historical figures in my opinion. He knew all the American presidents and that was probably the biggest thing he knew. We have had many similar elders all homeschooled from Utah.

So, my question is to those of you who homeschool-why? Why not send them to a proper educational institution where the people are trained and specifically qualified to teach in a particluar subject? Id be interested to know the answer to this because personally I cant see any benefits-No social interaction with other children, team work or learning confidence and independance in a new environment can only hinder a childs progress surely? I'm not trying to be argumentative I just cant see why anybody would choose this route. look forward to your answers!

I was born in the church and was home schooled more than I was in public school, so here are my observations as the student.

1 ) Make sure your children are involved in extra curricular activities.

I can’t tell you how important this is especially as the students get older. I hear the term “socially retarded” a lot in regards to home schooled children that didn’t have very much contact with youth their own age.

This isn’t as hard to accomplish as you would think, I was in the cub scouts, boy scouts, public pool swim team, 4-H, and other clubs of this nature.

2 ) Make sure you can validate you lesson plans.

This is a big on as your children get older if they decide they want to go to high school. The high school will assemble a board that will want to validate what you have taught you child to see if they are at the same level as their peers.

I reluctantly decided I should go back to school my junior year of high school. The above mentioned board was dispatched and my mother was asked to bring over the curriculum she used so they could make heads and tales of where they though I should end up. The first high school (HS) we went to said none of it was acceptable and wanted to place me as a freshman. So we went to the neighboring HS and they said they would make me a sophomore, the third HS we went to would make me a junior.

A lot of the mix up was over what subject I had studied. I was taking HS correspondence courses from BYU so the required classes like English, math, and history were all ok. What they got stuck on was the science classes I had taken, as well as one school was on a trimester system and the others were all semester system for what ever the reason they felt this was in the to hard to do box.

(Don’t get me wrong I do very well in science and math I do a lot of engineering work at the moment. So that was never the issue)

3 ) Find a home schooling group

This also is a vital issue; however, you need to be very picky for a few reasons.

A ) (this is an example) don’t find a liberal co-op if you value conservative teachings or vise-versa. You will be better off find a co-op group who shares your value systems.

B ) Look for a group that has a physical location, and a paid staff of councilors. The best home school I ever went to had a staff of councilors that the student and parent would meet with every week. This councilor was a representative of the school district paid by the school district to make sure students were in fact learning not just “helping pa with the harvest”

I have seen CPS be dispatched to the homes of home schoolers b/c they were “truant” and the children would then be placed in the custody of the state. (Note: where I lived at the time home schooling was a new concept, therefore it felt as if we were the subject of a government funded witch hunt)

Using this co-op facility also has other benefits. Lets say for example you are great at all the required subject math, science, English, so on but are at a disadvantage when it comes to computers (I’m assuming your not after all your in this forum but for sake of discussion lets say you are) this facility may have or have access to a computer lab and organize a one hour twice a week class.

4 ) Use the church assets as well

For the most part where I grew up it was all LDS families that home schooled. So if you were at a loss for one subject or another, parents would take turns hosting a workshop for an afternoon. This could range from an art project to science project or who knows what the skies the limit. We would also set up group field trips. I grew up in California. Once we set up a group field trip for four days to go to Monetary. We slept in tents and hung around the camp fire at night and during the day we would go to the aquarium, tide pools, and other related sites of interest.

I can’t think of any thing else off the top of my head. I hope this gives you a push in the direction you wanted to head. I understand now there are a lot of varieties and avenues to choose from for other than public school methods. Dr. Phil did a show on this topic. He had a discussion on the different options people have to choose from. I think he did very well he seemed to remain neutral and asked the hard honest questions and left it up to the viewer to form their own decision.

Like I said I hope this helps,

-LT04

Guest mamacat

wow this is so much great information...great ideas....thanks so much for sharing with me! i would love to explore all the areas spoken of here. i did some reading about charlotte mason and i like her style, esp for early childhood. it seems quite similar to waldorf.

i'd like to address what each of you has said soon, but will take some time to absorb it all first.

here's the waldorf homeschooling site we follow....Kytka is an amazing lady ~

http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/

thank you again for such great repsonses.

love, mamacat

Aphrodite, England's schools are probably much better than the average American school right now.

Our public schools are really glorified daycare centers for adolescents. Seriously. :ph34r:

Having been both public schooled and homeschooled...I far preferred homeschool, but that's just me. Funnily enough, i was homeschooled while my dad was stationed at RAF Bentwaters with the USAF. We lived in Snape, near Ipswich. The problem was, the Department of Defense (DoD) school was pretty poor. So for 6th grade I was homeschooled.

Loved England by the way...Leeds Castle, punting (sp?) on the Thames, bed&breakfasts...good stuff. :sparklygrin:

NOTE: What's interesting to me is how education has been reversed. Originally, royalty and nobility hired private tutors to educate their children (homeschool). Only the poor working class went to public school to learn basic working skills, etc... Now, you're viewed as inbred, backwards, poor or misguided if you do what royalty did decades and centuries ago. :hmmm:

By the way . . .

"Socializing" is waaaaay different that "socialization"!

An argument against home schooling originally was that children would not be "socialized" properly. Those who put forward this argument could haved cared less whether or kids had friends, activities, social interaction, etc. THAT IS NOT WHAT SOCIALIZATION MEANS. The worry was that children needed to attend public school (or similar) in order to be trained to be a proper member of society. In my own harsh way, in other words, "brainwashed". If your child is not in public school how will he know how to be an employee (worker bee!), and citizen (populace mass), and open minded (atheistic). Now, I know, I'm going to get hate mail, I don't know how else to express this. Obviously being a citizen and being open minded (but not atheistic) are VERY high values to me; employee not so much, because I'd rather train someone to be an enterpreneur. Anyway, "socialization" means the government wents to input your child into their system and output an adult that accepts the values and methods of society as they are desired by the government. Okay . . . . I DON'T WANT MY CHILD TO PARTICIPATE. As Rosie said it, I don't think the government and public schooling has a grasp on real life. A lot more could be said about this, but you can see what the issue is about "socialization".

Well, many people who do not understand this definition and argument have gotten ahold of the word (semantic) "socialization" and in their minds think it means "socializing" and have a serious cow worrying about if your homeschooled kid is going to meet enough children and have enough large group activities. My personal opinion is if I do not provide these kinds of activities to my homeschooled child, then my homeschool is severely inadequate. However, this is not the original argument. As well, I am a great believer that the interactions children need to have are with siblings of various ages, or extended family, or intergenerational (grandparents) (and I know not everyone has a big, geographically close family like this, either) NOT a lord of the flies scenario as public school recess so often is. (Recess is one of my biggest dislikes of public school!!!! lol).

Susie,

“And how do you go about getting approval etc

As the eductional systems obviously varies depending on the country.”

I recommend you go your local superintendent of schools and find the applicable codes. I remember every school year my mom would have to go fill out a form called an “affidavit” This form was necessary to show the school system that my brother and I weren’t truant, we were just getting home schooled.

-LT04

Susie,

I recommend you go your local superintendent of schools and find the applicable codes. I remember every school year my mom would have to go fill out a form called an “affidavit” This form was necessary to show the school system that my brother and I weren’t truant, we were just getting home schooled.

-LT04

Thanks for the info LT04 :D

I appreciate it...

<div class='quotemain'>

Susie,

-LT04

Thanks for the info LT04 :D

I appreciate it...

The following is helpful for US homeschoolers but I don't know how it would impact our international homeschoolers :dontknow:

You can check this site out. http://www.hslda.org

It tells the state laws regarding homeschooling and gives other useful information. The HSLDA does do some international counsel. But I'm not sure to what extent.

Sometimes your local districts are less than willing to give you homeschooling information. It all depends on the particular school district. They may try to disuade you since they don't get the aid they would if your child went to the public school. So it might be good for you to go in armed with some knowledge before you approach the school. Do you know any other homeschoolers or homeschooling groups in the area? You might be better off going to them first.

Also if you have older students try and get them into college courses or the competancy tests for college credits while in high school if you can in your area. Or encourage them to go to a trade school part time. Many areas offer a 1-2 year program for high school students. They might be able to get their associates by 18. (Great for people contemplating a mission ;) )

Depending on your area, your child may be forced to get a GED if they are homeschooled. This can be a stigma because a GED can make you look like a drop out. But there are areas if you get so many college credits , or test out with so many credits (24-30?) you don't have to worry about it. You are covered and the high school degree is irrelevant. The good thing is with the more homeschoolers there are. The more educational doors are opening. The less the GED is a stigma.

The more activities and projects you can get your older child in the better. Are there places the homeschooler can do an internship or apprenticeship? Use your childs interests to creatively open up options.

Xhenli liked your post on homeschoolers being "socialized" just not the government way. Also on the muligenerational socialization that takes place. They are exposed to more than just the teacher and 24+ students who are all the same age. The homeschooler must take what they have learned and find a way to apply it to their life where they are at while seeing where they have been and need to go.

An argument against home schooling originally was that children would not be "socialized" properly. Those who put forward this argument could haved cared less whether or kids had friends, activities, social interaction, etc. THAT IS NOT WHAT SOCIALIZATION MEANS. The worry was that children needed to attend public school (or similar) in order to be trained to be a proper member of society. In my own harsh way, in other words, "brainwashed". If your child is not in public school how will he know how to be an employee (worker bee!), and citizen (populace mass), and open minded (atheistic). Now, I know, I'm going to get hate mail, I don't know how else to express this. Obviously being a citizen and being open minded (but not atheistic) are VERY high values to me; employee not so much, because I'd rather train someone to be an enterpreneur. Anyway, "socialization" means the government wents to input your child into their system and output an adult that accepts the values and methods of society as they are desired by the government. Okay . . . . I DON'T WANT MY CHILD TO PARTICIPATE. As Rosie said it, I don't think the government and public schooling has a grasp on real life. A lot more could be said about this, but you can see what the issue is about "socialization".

Well, many people who do not understand this definition and argument have gotten ahold of the word (semantic) "socialization" and in their minds think it means "socializing" and have a serious cow worrying about if your homeschooled kid is going to meet enough children and have enough large group activities. My personal opinion is if I do not provide these kinds of activities to my homeschooled child, then my homeschool is severely inadequate. However, this is not the original argument. As well, I am a great believer that the interactions children need to have are with siblings of various ages, or extended family, or intergenerational (grandparents) (and I know not everyone has a big, geographically close family like this, either) NOT a lord of the flies scenario as public school recess so often is. (Recess is one of my biggest dislikes of public school!!!! lol).

• 1 month later...

We have homeschooled our children from the beginning. Our son 17 graduated this month a year early. He began taking dual enrollment classes at the local community college at 15 and now has 27 hours of college credit in which he has made "A" grades. He plans to have a two year degree before leaving on his mission and he does know that England is an island. :) On the social front he has a job and recently managed to go on his first date, so I dont think you can call him a social retard. :)

Our daughter is 14 and begins high school this fall. Her plans are to finish highschool and attend Nursing school to become a labor and delivery nurse. She has excelled on the social front and we sometimes wish she were a bit less social but not really. She is a gifted people person and has the ability to make everyone feel comfortable and welcomed.

We have been involved in a Co-op group that has allowed us to share the teaching and allowed the kids to form some very strong friendships with other adults and children.

Homeschooling has been wonderful for us, the schools here are not very good but I think we would choose homeschooling again even if we had good schools. I dont say it is for everyone but I do think it should be there as a choice for everyone to consider. I also believe that the parents have a right to revelations from God as to what is best for their family in each situation so I dont second guess anyone's choice in educating their children.

As for advice I would say in the early years turn off the TV and read to your child every chance you get and answer any questions he/she has. I think that is pretty good advice for older children too. :)

Tim