Question about fasting... :(

CTR4life

Hello everyone,

I have come to the forums many times and I have found knowledge and encourement. Now I come here for help and some guidence...

I haven't gone to church for at least 6 months or so and I have felt o.k about it, but for family matters I fasted yesterday not the 24 hrs but 23.3 so today I want to fast again.

My 15th year old nephew dissapear 11 days ago and we don't know anything about him so I fasted so we may know where to look or what to do, while fasting I felt closer to HF and good about it also with the desire to have faith and hope in my heart. Now I feel the desire to fast again even though my body may not feel great.

If I fast and don't pay offerings is just about going hungry??, I have been told so. Is just that I dont go to church anymore.

So means that if I dont go to church HF doesn't listen my prayers or see my sacrifice at all?

I feel so desperate my nephew is missing and I want do everything in my power so he can have the blessing he may need now,

Please any advice and prayers will be welcome.

Guest AMormonforObama

I would say that our father in heaven recognizes the righteous sacrifices of all his children. You may want to consider sending a fast offering to your local bishop or if you feel uncomfortable doing that you could send it to any charity.

While fast offerings are connected to fasting, fasting is not necessarily connected to fast offerings. Fasting is a gospel principle in and of itself, independent of fast offerings and much more connected to faith than it is to church attendance.

I sincerely hope that your nephew is found alive and well and returned to his family.

Edited by Dark_Jedi

I agree with others.

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

The law states if you "fast" or give without something that you and the lord have agreed upon (both sides like food) that you will be filled with the holy ghost. The money is not contingent on this. Isaiah 58 mentions this as someone mentioned and says fasting is "to help the poor and needy". Giving money is JUST ONe way to do that. You can find many ways to help the poor and needy. In fact you are fasting for the child who is in NEED and sseeking him. This is one way to fulfill this promise.

Remeber it states in the new testament" he that hungers and thirsts after righteousness will be filled with the holy ghost". The holy ghost will "show you all things what you should do". Make sure you make CONSTANT prayer and part of the fast. Kneel 2-3 times a day if possible (called mighty prayer). Also note when fasting great lengths like 3 days you can if you feel you need to do a food only fast WITH water. Or do a 24 hour fast eat a meal and start another fast.

Prayer is also just as important so you don't have to fast for like an entire month but can do spurts of it and than have continual prayer between them.

Just know. "the will of the lord" will be fulfilled and it may not always be what you want but the faith of others will be taken into account.

Thank you guys,

I just got a call and the police told me that they have found my nephew!!! I have always believed in fasting and this time I didn't so much so I prayed and fasted so I could recieved more faith and the desire to again believe, even though i haven't gotten the faith I used to have, I know HF loves his children and he loves me too and answers prayers!!

Thank you guys,

I just got a call and the police told me that they have found my nephew!!! I have always believed in fasting and this time I didn't so much so I prayed and fasted so I could recieved more faith and the desire to again believe, even though i haven't gotten the faith I used to have, I know HF loves his children and he loves me too and answers prayers!!

It's good to hear that he was found!

I have always thought of it as if you fast without purpose, you are simply going hungry.

Again, I am glad they found your nephew. I hope you can add upon your own testimony from this experience.

Guest AMormonforObama

Thank you guys,

I am glad they found your nephew.

Hello everyone,

If I fast and don't pay offerings is just about going hungry??, I have been told so. Is just that I dont go to church anymore.

First, I'm so glad they found your nephew.

It's my understanding we only pay fast offerings when we fast on the first Sunday of the month.

I hope you don't think that you need to pay an offering every time you fast. We can fast any time for any personal/spiritual purpose.

For more information click here: Fasting and Fast Offerings

I have always thought of it as if you fast without purpose, you are simply going hungry.

Thanks you beat me to it. That's what I was going to say. :) I believe one of the GA's also said this.

* Here it is: Fasting without prayer is just going hungry for 24 hours. But fasting combined with prayer brings increased spiritual power. - Carl B. Pratt

And another: Without prayer, fasting is not complete fasting; it’s simply going hungry. Joseph B. Wirthlin

They both say prayer not purpose. But I also believe there needs to be a purpose or it's just going hungry.

Edited by pam

Hello everyone,

I have come to the forums many times and I have found knowledge and encourement. Now I come here for help and some guidence...

I haven't gone to church for at least 6 months or so and I have felt o.k about it, but for family matters I fasted yesterday not the 24 hrs but 23.3 so today I want to fast again.

My 15th year old nephew dissapear 11 days ago and we don't know anything about him so I fasted so we may know where to look or what to do, while fasting I felt closer to HF and good about it also with the desire to have faith and hope in my heart. Now I feel the desire to fast again even though my body may not feel great.

So means that if I dont go to church HF doesn't listen my prayers or see my sacrifice at all?

I feel so desperate my nephew is missing and I want do everything in my power so he can have the blessing he may need now,

Please any advice and prayers will be welcome.

Don't Kill yourself or put yourself in the hospital. Now that you have sacrificed your body's want of for food for a couple days now. spend some time in prayer maybe try meditating on various things you can do that can help in the search for your nephew... have you considered sacrificing other desires and habits you have that aren't godly? (you said you don't want to go to church- maybe make that your next sacrifice? go to church. Perhaps you may want to consider sacrificing some more time for something that is of God, like study the scriptures for a while longer than you normally do, If you haven't been paying tithing, that is another sacrifice that is hard to make, and can thus be very meaningful).

If God didn't listen to anyone who didn't go to church.. no one would have converted in the first place.

However when we choose to be disobedient we lose the means of receiving God's answers; the Holy Ghost leaves us... and it will become a lot harder to discern God's answers.

Another thing to keep in mind that the answer may not be inspiration to you it might be to someone else.

Sometimes we don't get the answer right up until the very last moment; sometimes we are tried in our faith in God, to trust him that things will work out and that his will will be done... probably hardest of all is when we get an answer we don't want.

anyways just a few thoughts. My hopes and prayers fro you and your nephew.

Edited by Blackmarch