I can't do this

wyarwehere

Okay, so I've survived my first week back at college. And....I don't know if I can do this. I got out of my A&P lab today and started crying. Between starting school, packing up and moving, and trying to get the rest of my stuff out of my friends garage(it's been there since last April). Plus doing a little office work at a not-for-profit I help at. Added to this that I need to find a part time job because I'm losing some of my supplemental income, I just don't know when I'm going to find the time for it. I'm taking four classes, General Psych, English, Algebra/Trig, and A&P, plus the lab I mentioned. I've been out of the classroom for about six years. So does anyone have any advice for studying/time managing that I could use? I'd appreciate any thing you guys might have to offer.

Thanks

It looks to me like you are expecting way to much of yourself. I think you will need to cut something out. That may be the non-profit or one of the classes but there is only so much one person can do. College takes dedicated time. Those who don't focus on it usually don't do well.

I have thought about both of those things. I can't cut a class because I'm taking just enough(13) to classify me as a FT student for the financial aid. And I did consider quitting at the non-profit, but my therapist says I need to stay involved there because they are one of my best supports(which is true. The staff there are awesome and always willing to help). I guess I'm just really scared because the last time I tried to go to college(2010) I lasted three days, and because of the stress of that among other things, I ended up in the psych hospital for eleven months. I'm afraid of that happening, even if it's only for a short period of time. I've only lasted nine months out of the state hospital after having been in there for most of the last three years(January-December 2010, May 2011-January 2012, and March-December 2012).

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes a bit of time to find your groove. Especially if it has been awhile. Hang in there and give yourself some time. Take one day at a time.

It's always good to have a calendar/planner. Write all your activities in it in the proper time slots. Write EVERYTHING. Don't forget sleep time and meal time and relax time. 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. It becomes more manageable when you know EXACTLY how much time you got and what you're doing next.

King Benjamin said: " . . . it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." (Mosiah 4:27)

If you feel you cannot handle everything on your plate cut something out. Study out what you should do and pray about your plan.

Sweetie... Remember where I said most people save A&P to take as their ONLY class that quarter? And the examples I listed?

I really wasn't exaggerating, nor thinking less of you.

The medical field has several "washout" classes.

A&P is ALWAYS one of them. S you have to be really strategic about it (and other washout courses). It's part of the washout criteria: Is this person going to be dedicated enough to arrange their life in order to devote the time needed?

Drop.

The.

Class.

Then come back to it when you can do it as a solo (or solo with a fluff class like gym if you need credits for financial aid).

The other class which is USUALLY a washout class at this level is o-chem. but in some areas it's inorganic chem, or microbio. Use this quarter to scope out (ask) which are the washout classes. Really.

I wrote a ton last time, so I won't repeat it all, but go back and read. If I wrote what I usually do, there are a lot of tips in there.

You aren't failing.

This is normal.

It's is what they're trying to do.

It is exceptionally difficult.

So drop the class instead of washing out.

Quin: I did go back and read your previous post. And it makes sense. However, at this point I can't drop it. Because if I do, I drop below full time, and if that happens, my loans will come due in six months. Having finally got a decent sleep last night, things don't look quite as horrible as they did, but it's still a lot. More considering that I'm now in a half-packed house. Thankfully, I have an absolutely wonderful caseworker who came today and is coming tomorrow afternoon to help me finish/help me with some of my work. I think if I can just get some of it done, I'll feel a lot better about it, if I don't start the week behind already. If I have to, I'll just remind myself that the Monday after next is a day off. Once my house is in order and stuff out of storage, I won't be stressing quite as much.

I may be the one asking these same questions in a few months. I have made the decision to go back to school. As close to full time as I can. This will be in addition to working a full time and a part time job. Though one of the required classes will be on a Thursday and that may not work out with my part time job. So I may have to give that one up.