Enjoying the LDS waters a lot!

tovarisch

My fiancée and I are investigators in the church. We've only been attending for about a month, but, man o man, I like it a lot.

We started attending church after we decided to get married. We were discussing our idea of what kind of family we wanted to raise, and we had the common desire to be together as a couple and eventually as a family in a community. Neither of us remember who said it (I think it was me, she thinks it was her), but I got on the LDS website and asked to meet with missionaries. A couple weeks later, two missionaries visited, gave us BoM, and invited us to visit church. We attended that very Sunday, had dinner with THREE couples our age that week, and have been reading a lot since.

(Interestingly, I've long been interested in the church. I met with missionaries briefly in college, have had many LDS acquaintances through the years, and even picked up a BoM a few years ago but only discovered a couple weeks ago when looking through boxes.)

I actually decided to join this forum because I've read so many messages and figured I should jump in. To make this thread less boring, I'll let you know what I have found I like, dislike/am unsure of.

• People attending church live what they believe
  • Everyone is exceptionally friendly
  • We love the low hum of babies during the sacrament
  • I love the BoM sections, e.g., Alma 32, that are about faith. (I find the battle chapters less edifying.
  • Sometimes when I finish reading sections of the BoM before bed, my entire body feels like I've just had five cups of coffee. I'm buzzing in bed thinking about it. Except for the battle chapters that help me sleep!
  • I find the view on the Trinity to make more sense, even if it isn't orthodox "trinitarian"
  • I like the teaching on preexistence
  • I like the sheer amount of church stuff there is to do, but I also recognize it must be challenging year in and year out

Challenges

• I have a hard time with the historicity of the BoM, but I feel that a lot of my problems can be explained away by assuming a "limited geographical model" and the authors, particularly Nephi and Mormon, writing their civilizations in the post positive light possible. For example, maybe the towers Mormon described in Alma maybe were just hills and not strong fortifications?
  • My politics (I'm a liberal Dem) with church teaching, but if Harry Reid can do it...
  • Temple work seems quite odd, but that's me saying that as a complete outsider.

There are things that others find challenging, e.g., horses, chariots, Joseph Smith's polygamy, etc., that don't phase me.

So that's me in a nutshell. I'm reading a ton, enjoying services equally so, and am praying for the first time in years. I plan to keep going and hope that I want to keep going.

I look forward to picking your brains!

Edited by tovarisch
typo

I happen to be a convert to the the church. Two pieces of advice that have been a great help to me are:

1. Remember that Joseph Smith was (and all other church figures for that matter) were and are human.

many of the prophets through out history have had serious flaws.

2. Have faith, if you have doubts now understand that many of them will be lessened as you grow in the

gospel.

I really enjoyed reading your post, Tova. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the positive tone. I really appreciate that.

In regards to your challenges, I don't know if anyone comes to the LDS without something that bothers them. It might be some theological idea or in your case, something political & historical. I've been a member all my life and I continually talk to God in my prayers about the stuff that bothers me. I think this is one of my favorite aspects about LDS living. It's not required that I understand or agree with everything. What is required is a contrite or willing heart. And through all of my questioning (and even arguing on occasion), I've been taught and often humbled. It's like God is looking at me saying, "Yeah, I get it sweetheart. Earth life is confusing. But are you going to obey me? Let's talk about that." I guess what I'm saying is that communications from the spirit often trump my human reasonings. I'll even admit to leaving prayer still retaining my frustrations because the answers I want don't come or the answers I get don't seem satisfactory. But I've come to understand that none of that matters. As I follow God, He teaches me. And not just with intellectual understanding. He broadens me in terms of character and spiritual capacity. It's like I want answers and God is saying, "That's so great. But I'm turning you into something that is more like me." So...I learn to trust while I discipline my questions into patience all the while keeping the conversation open just in case. :)

I don't know I've just written anything of value to you, but I'll share it just the same.

I also wanted to say that I love that you are so willing to read the Book of Mormon. And yeah...those war chapters can be a little tedious. I used to feel that way. Now, though, they carry so much meaning for me. Funny how where we are in life changes the relevance of what we read.

Anyway, I wish you were my neighbor and I could come over and listen long hours to your ponderings.

@McClain: That LDS frequently remind themselves and those outside the church that prophets and leaders have fallings is very refreshing. Of course, no Roman Catholic would say anything other than the same about a pope or cardinals, but I haven't seen RCs embrace (or freely accept) their leaders' sins as LDS do. I mean that in the most positive sense possible. Today after stake conference a new friend said the very same thing about Home Teaching.

@MissHalfway: Thanks for your comment. I like your statement that you continually talk to God about what bothers you. I have to say my own prayers begin "Heavenly Father, have mercy on me. I am thankful for XYZ, but I don't understand ABC. I don't know whether this is what You want." Etc.

I am sure that the war chapters will become interesting to me soon enough, but for now I appreciate the spiritual growth verses more. For example, I just underlined Helaman 3:27-29 -- that's where I am right now in my journey so they mean more to me.

Honestly, my biggest fear has nothing to do with the Book of Mormon and its historicity, even though I do have issues with that. It has to do with being able to "endure to the end." I was raised Southern Baptist, visited various Christian churches in college, and spent most of my adult years as a quiet unbeliever or a unabashed atheist, albeit one who was always pulled toward belief in God. (I could never shake it no matter how many atheist books I read!) On the one hand, I've only been going for a month and despite this I want to be baptized. On the other hand, I don't want to convert and fall away later. So for now I am (we are) planning on attending, learning, and waiting for a wedding date to be set before donning white baptismal clothes (though I'm talking to missionaries about baptism -- in general terms -- this week).

If you were my neighbor you'd hear a lot of rambling like the above... :)

Hi Tova, welcome to the forums!

I just thought I'd address your concern about enduring to the end (and it's a concern for all of us)--there's no sure-fire way of knowing what the Lord has in store for us. We know that we've come to this Earth to be tried (among other wonderful blessings, of course), and our Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need to work on in the eternal scheme of things. What I'm trying to say is that trials of faith are part of life, and overcoming them is what leads to a greater capacity for faith.

There was a great analogy given by C. S. Lewis that kind of explains this process:

“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of—throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. …” (Mere Christianity, New York: The Macmillan Company, 1952, p. 160.)

I hope the point I'm trying to make is coming across alright here. Just don't be afraid to move forward. The Lord knows what you can handle even more than you do, and you'll never have to take it more than a day at a time. Trust Him.

• 6 months later...
My fiancée and I are investigators in the church. We've only been attending for about a month, but, man o man, I like it a lot.

We started attending church after we decided to get married. We were discussing our idea of what kind of family we wanted to raise, and we had the common desire to be together as a couple and eventually as a family in a community. Neither of us remember who said it (I think it was me, she thinks it was her), but I got on the LDS website and asked to meet with missionaries. A couple weeks later, two missionaries visited, gave us BoM, and invited us to visit church. We attended that very Sunday, had dinner with THREE couples our age that week, and have been reading a lot since.

(Interestingly, I've long been interested in the church. I met with missionaries briefly in college, have had many LDS acquaintances through the years, and even picked up a BoM a few years ago but only discovered a couple weeks ago when looking through boxes.)

I actually decided to join this forum because I've read so many messages and figured I should jump in. To make this thread less boring, I'll let you know what I have found I like, dislike/am unsure of.

• I love the BoM sections, e.g., Alma 32, that are about faith. (I find the battle chapters less edifying.
  • Sometimes when I finish reading sections of the BoM before bed, my entire body feels like I've just had five cups of coffee. I'm buzzing in bed thinking about it. Except for the battle chapters that help me sleep!
  • I find the view on the Trinity to make more sense, even if it isn't orthodox "trinitarian"
  • I like the sheer amount of church stuff there is to do, but I also recognize it must be challenging year in and year out

Challenges

• I have a hard time with the historicity of the BoM, but I feel that a lot of my problems can be explained away by assuming a "limited geographical model" and the authors, particularly Nephi and Mormon, writing their civilizations in the post positive light possible. For example, maybe the towers Mormon described in Alma maybe were just hills and not strong fortifications?
  • My politics (I'm a liberal Dem) with church teaching, but if Harry Reid can do it...
  • Temple work seems quite odd, but that's me saying that as a complete outsider.

There are things that others find challenging, e.g., horses, chariots, Joseph Smith's polygamy, etc., that don't phase me.

So that's me in a nutshell. I'm reading a ton, enjoying services equally so, and am praying for the first time in years. I plan to keep going and hope that I want to keep going.

welcome welcome :D.

I'd be happy to answer whatever questions as best as I can.

as for archeological history and theory I find it enjoyable and stimulating... some theories more sensible than others.

Challenges

I found this presentation on book of Mormon evidences pretty intriguing, perhaps you will enjoy it as well