1/2 sacrament partaking

SpiritDragon

I was taught that if I came into sacrament meeting late and missed partaking of the bread that I should also turn down the water as it would be wrong to not fully partake in the ordinance and only do so halfway. However, I have on occasion noticed that others I am with or around partake of the water without a second thought.

Obviously it is best to always be on time and partake of both the bread and water, but if a person is late does it matter if they take the water without the bread?

I was taught that if I came into sacrament meeting late and missed partaking of the bread that I should also turn down the water as it would be wrong to not fully partake in the ordinance and only do so halfway. However, I have on occasion noticed that others I am with or around partake of the water without a second thought.

Obviously it is best to always be on time and partake of both the bread and water, but if a person is late does it matter if they take the water without the bread?

This morning I found myself taking the bread without the water, which might have been a first.

Generally, if I arrive at church between the bread and water, I make a conscious choice not to participate in the latter at all. Usually when I'm that late to church, I've been frazzled and rushed trying to get there; some not-so-nice words make have escaped my lips under my breath (or not), like this morning when I had to detour around the same biathlon three times in order to get to the chapel; and I'm not in any frame of mind to appropriately observe the Sacrament. When that's the case, I choose to skip it that week, and blame myself for not being properly prepared.

What if its too sweet, I find the bread they have too sweet and it has seeds, which get caught in my crooked mess of teeth.

I don't refuse it because I would consider that both rude and would ultimately diffuse one of the point to why I am there,

I have never been that late, my town isn't so big and I am on a bicycle, there isn't exactly traffic.

I don't chew the bread. It's too small to chew. But, you can bring your own bread as long as you get it to the priests early enough for them to include it in the preparations (about 15 or so minutes before the meeting starts).

Years ago my wife showed up late to her singles ward and missed the passing of the bread but took the water when it came around. She told her Bishop about it right after church, she said she was so focused on on how late she was that it didn't occur to her that she was only taking the last half of the sacrament when the water was passed to her. Her Bishop said it wasn't a huge problem as long it didn't become a habit and it was just a case of absentmindedness.

I've never been in that situation myself, but I did attend a sacrament meeting a couple years ago where the water was blessed and passed before the bread. I think the young men were waiting for someone to bring them more bread and they just went ahead with the water. Whatever the reason, the Bishop somehow didn't notice that the prayer was for the water and not the bread because he gave the nod of approval and the water went out to the congregation. He apologized after and assured us that it still counted even though it was backwards.

So far as I am aware, there is no official statement about the appropriateness (or inappropriateness) of taking the water without having had the bread (or vice versa). In general, I think it's best to allow people to choose for themselves without judgment. We don't know what state of mind their thoughts are in or aren't in. If you feel like there's a pattern of behavior that is concerning, the best thing to do would be to leave a note for your bishop (or a counselor) that doesn't involve names of any individuals you've noticed. If they agree that the pattern is concerning, they may be able to address it.*

*But I only bring this up as an option because I agree that habitual and persistent tardiness is something that should probably be addressed.

For a more amusing anecdote:

Once in my college ward, I was asked to bless the sacrament. Because of the room we met in, those administering the sacrament sat on the end of a row of chairs that faced the congregation (but sat in front of the stand) and we were thus required to pass a tray down the row to the other members sitting there (probably the choir).

The poor fellow who drew the lot to pass the bread tray to me saw me lift my hand, grab the tray, and pass it to my left without taking the bread. He shot me a really dirty look, and I thought to myself, "wow...what is that about?" It wasn't until he came back with the tray of water that I realized I hadn't taken the bread. In this situation, I did take the water (receiving another dirty look from the fellow) and laughed to myself.

I have done it once or twice. I think, one being in the right state of mind, the spirit of the law rather than the ritual details trumps.

On another note, I wish my ward would get better about taking sacrament to those in the foyer. My baby screams like a demon at the approach of holy water EVERY TIME the sacrament is prepared.

As a result, I have missed the sacrament quite a few times.

I have done it once or twice. I think, one being in the right state of mind, the spirit of the law rather than the ritual details trumps.

On another note, I wish my ward would get better about taking sacrament to those in the foyer. My baby screams like a demon at the approach of holy water EVERY TIME the sacrament is prepared.

As a result, I have missed the sacrament quite a few times.

Say something to the bishop about this. He needs to be aware of anyone who is not receiving the sacrament.

Yours is not the only ward I've heard of with this rule. I think it's inappropriate.

My ward had that rule... It was just recently relaxed.

It was put in place because several adults (without kids to deal with) were camping in the foyer instead of coming into the chapel (the mothers lounge was always included in the passing though)

I am not sure it is the best answer but in my ward it appears to have worked enough that the bishop felt it was time to drop the rule until/unless it becomes a problem again.

If no-taking-sacrament-out-of-the-chapel were a hard rule with the ward, I wouldn't mind it so much.

Except there is no rhyme or reason to it. One week they take the sacrament to those in the foyer or mother's lounge, the next week they don't. It's like they're flipping a coin on what to do that particular Sabbath.

If no-taking-sacrament-out-of-the-chapel were a hard rule with the ward, I wouldn't mind it so much.

Except there is no rhyme or reason to it. One week they take the sacrament to those in the foyer or mother's lounge, the next week they don't. It's like they're flipping a coin on what to do that particular Sabbath.

In this case... I would expect it to be that the deacons are messing up then. Which could be a lack of clarity from the leadership or from the fact they are deacons. Or if your ward needs to pull from the adults to help pass the adult simply might not know... And once they are passing it is entirely in their hands

In this case... I would expect it to be that the deacons are messing up then. Which could be a lack of clarity from the leadership or from the fact they are deacons. Or if your ward needs to pull from the adults to help pass the adult simply might not know... And once they are passing it is entirely in their hands

In my limited experience communicating routes could be done better. When asked to stand in as an adult what I usually get is some vague hand gesture as to what my route is. I'm not sure new deacons are getting anything clearer. I've always thought cards with a color coded and numbered route diagram would be a good thing to put with the hymns in the pews the deacons sit.

Don't get me started on the ritual variations* each ward tends to have that are just assumed to be understood. :eek:

*For example, do you line up on one side of the chapel before returning to the sacrament table? Where exactly? Up front? Towards the back? In the middle? Or do you line up at the back of the chapel? Where exactly? Center? Off center? Do the deacons pass to each other or do they take the sacrament when they are passing it back to the priests?

Edited by Dravin

I sit in the back, as I'm quite tall and not fond of slouching.

Living in a college family ward, we have new deacons ALL the time (every 3 months we gain/lose families). Sometimes they just plain and simple miscount -and are flaming red embarrassed-, other times they goof and give allergy-bread to the wrong people (we have celiacs and dairy allergies in my ward... I'm one of about half a dozen that have special bread).

Point being... I take half sacrements rather often.

I don't stress.

God knows my heart.

And I feel best about myself by smiling and waving the embarrassed deacon along rather than have the entire service postponed just for me.

If the count is VERY off, there's really no choice, but it's usually just 1 or 2.

Q

So, today, my baby was miraculously good was the sacrament was prepared.

... and the deacons totally skipped me.

(it was remedied, but really!)

I was once skipped for just the water. And it was by an adult who was a friend of mine who had spent some time talking to me before Sacrament meeting started. So I was a bit puzzled at how he could forget all about me between the bread and the water. And there was no way to discreetly catch his attention.

• 6 years later...