Favourite Scripture(s)

susieSA

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a favorite either. There are too many great passages. I'm adopting this though, as a life verse:

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

Deu 6:5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Deu 6:6 "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.

Deu 6:7 "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.

Deu 6:8 "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

Deu 6:9 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Yediyd

I don't have a favorite either. There are too many great passages. I'm adopting this though, as a life verse:

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

Deu 6:5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Deu 6:6 "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.

Deu 6:7 "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.

Deu 6:8 "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.

Deu 6:9 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

My life verse: (Isaaih 38:17)...Behold, for piece I had great bitterness, but thou hast delivered it from the pit of corruption...for thou hast cast all my sins behind thy back.

I amm also partial to the book of matthew...I have memerized the first 14 chapters...been trying to memerize the whole book since the 80's, but my mind just quit absorbing, it seems.

Yediyd

...I have memerized the first 14 chapters...

that is awesome! There is a thing called Awana that I just heard about in town. It is designed for children to memorize scripture. I think that is very cool. We are going to start sending our children there soon.

Guest Yediyd

...I have memerized the first 14 chapters...

that is awesome! There is a thing called Awana that I just heard about in town. It is designed for children to memorize scripture. I think that is very cool. We are going to start sending our children there soon.

Thanks,

I've actually memerized 33 chapters of the Bible...I think that is why I can't seem to memerize anymore, since I converted to Lds, I've tried to memerize BoM stuff, but my mind just wont absorb any more, it seems...I am learning my way around the BoM pretty well, though.

I have 2

Mormon 9:31 Condemn me no for my imperfection neither my father because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest to you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been.

John 14:27: Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you, not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let no your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.

Charley

• 3 months later...

This has to be up there as one of my favourites:

"But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. " Titus 3:4-7

Powerful stuff!

First...I love the Doctrine and Covenants! And here's my favorite... Can you even imagine what it would be like for the Lord to speak directly to you and say what he does here in verse 5?! It gets me every time!

D&C section 110: 1-5

1 The veil was taken from our minds, and the eyes of our understanding were opened.

2 We saw the Lord standing upon the breastwork of the pulpit, before us; and under his feet was a paved work of pure gold, in color like amber.

3 His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying:

4 I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father.

5 Behold, your sins are forgiven you; you are clean before me; therefore, lift up your heads and rejoice.

I like John 3:16. Not only because it offers the gospel in a nugget, but because it can be sung (to the tune of Silent night). Try it:

John three sixteen

John three sixteen

For God so loved

The world that he

Gave his only begotten son

That whosoever believeth in him

Shall not perish but have

Everlasting life.

Now before you all faint and break your skulls open from falling to the floor, I'm only doing this because it's Susie asking.

I inherited my grandmother's scriptures when she died, and she has one marked that I do like, so I'll post it here. It's Alma 36:3:

And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

There! Did you think you'd ever see the day?

I loved more gramma, and miss her terribly. :(

Elphaba

Now before you all faint and break your skulls open from falling to the floor, I'm only doing this because it's Susie asking.

I inherited my grandmother's scriptures when she died, and she has one marked that I do like, so I'll post it here. It's Alma 36:3:

And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

Elphaba

watch out or you might be translated.......... :wow:

<div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba

Yes, but where? B)

Elphie

• 3 months later...

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba

Yes, but where? B)

Elphie

well....lets see........ :hmmm::hmmm: .........LOL!!!!!

2nd Nephi 4 (Nephi's Soliloquey), particularly his soul cry "O, wretched man that I am!" How often I have felt that, but then his affirmation, "nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted". (vss 17-19).

Moroni 10: 32-33. Come unto Christ.

Isaiah 53. Wounded for our transgressions

Alma 5 and Moroni 7: The boilerplate for being a true follower of Christ.

3 Nephi chapter 17.

I love the whole chapter! but my favorite is when Christ calls the children to him and prays for them.

23 And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.

24 And as they looked to behold they cast their eyes towards heaven, and they saw the heavens open, and they saw angels descending out of heaven as it were in the midst of fire; and they came down and encircled those little ones about, and they were encircled about with fire; and the angels did minister unto them.