Developmental Delays and Readiness for Baptism

Connie

We had decided a year or so ago as my asd son reached the 8 is great age, that baptism just wasn't on the table for him as his comprehension just wasn't there.

Around March-ish... he came to me and said "I want to be baptized like Jesus was" I spoke to the primary prez, and she told me to jump on it... if he was expressing a desire than he could have the understanding for it to be done.

Met with the Bishop who held the same views, and we started with the missionaries understanding that we need to take it slow, break it down and move at a slower pace so he can understand.

It took until September, but we got there and went for our Bishops interview, very informally with the Elders, me, the lil guy and the bishop.

I brought along my primary book of pictures to help him along ... went just fine.

2 days before his 9th birthday, he was baptized. In his confirmation yesterday, I was told he's going to serve a full time mission some day :)

My advice? Cruise along. Let your child show you when he's ready. Take small bites, little bits at a time as he can handle it.

If he never gets there that's ok too. Perfect spirits are here to teach us and may not need it.

That was a wonderful article and insight from the author about her son who has Autism. Joseph Smith said that baptism alone is only half a baptism without the gift of the Holy Ghost. I wonder sometimes if the question about being baptised or not should also include the thought, would my child benefit from having the Holy Ghost as his/ her constant companion?