I would advise people to stay away from Astral Projection

Still_Small_Voice

I have been reading on the subject of Astral Projection or Remote Viewing. Here is what I discovered and I believe their are elements of truth in it. These are not my words but another's advice:

Astral projection

This subject has come up on a few threads so I felt it needed to be address and clarified.

The practice of Astral projection is held in the deep occult.

Astral projection or travel denotes the astral body or double leaving the physical body to travel in the astral plane.

The common belief is that the subtle body is attached to the physical body by means of a psychic silver cord.

When you leave your body to Astral project you are leaving your body in a very similar form as when you are channeling spirits. The descriptions of the experiences are quite often very close to the same.

I have a dear friend that prior to his conversion as a Latter-Day Saint said he was Astral projecting regularly. I was friends with him at the time I was not Latter-Day Saint either. He could leave his body walk around his room, leave his house and visit places and witness things that later he could verify.

On one occasion he was doing this he came back to his body and found it nearly impossible to re-enter. He had to fight of another entity that was attempting to take over his body. He had to battle for control of his own body for quite a while hearing horrible growling sounds. He said it was one of the scariest things that every had happened to him. He at the time had no belief in demons and only thought he was using powers that he had in him self as many books he had read told him. He felt it was just a natural extention of his spiritual abilities. After this experience he never Astral projected again and he also started to check into Christianity. He later joined the Latter-Day Saint church when I testified to him the truth of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Astral projection is something that we are not to participate in. This is not something we gain any Divine knowledge from. It is done through mediation and leaves us open for demonic possession. This is not an approved practice for a Latter-Day Saint. It is part of the occult and not of our faith. I shared my friend’s story with a General Authority and they agreed that this was not a practice we were to dabble in. There are no spiritual references that support this as a accepted activity. If the Lord chooses to show us things or take our spirit somewhere it is by His will not ours. This activity has nothing to do with the Lord's will or His teachings but it is based just on our will. Its roots are completely away from the Gospel.

Another person advised:

I heard Art Bell talking about this practice but he called it "remote viewing". He said he got very good at it and then it turned bad. He said his spirit would without warning leave his body and he could not control it.

It's interesting that years ago I read stuff about Astral projection, Auras, voices, spirits and all sorts of paranormal things and disregarded them outright as a scam or con, originating from a dream or just something from a bunch of crazies.

Since joining the church, and having a few unusual experiences of my own, I have changed my views on the existence of these things. I am now one of the "crazies" :)

I kind of wish I was still sceptical - it all sounds a bit too creepy to me too.

Though as a Wiccan I never partook in astral projection, I knew about it and those who did.

The mind is a powerful tool and things like that should never be done by those who do not fully understand them.

I have never heard of someone just separating from their body like that, typically such things need a great amount of focus, and that just happening, sounds like garbage to me.

I hear these things quite often, and as someone who has seen and lived in neo paganism, there is so much trash cited as fact and people think its evil.

Though I may not practise it anymore I still hold dear many things I learned and still learn from it.

I've been meditating for years and can barely come into my "positive zone" (as I call it, the state of my supreme calmness).

It takes more then simply buying a book to understand and practise the craft, just like buying a Book of Mormon and not drinking tea doesn't make you a Mormon.

Phooey. Being worried about astral projection and the occult, makes about as much sense as being worried about ouija boards (copyright Hasbro, makers of fine occultic games like Monopoly and Life).

Open Offer: If anyone wants to take me up on a little experiment, let me know. I will astrally project myself that night, to the reflecting pool next to temple square. I will be wearing a certain kind of shirt. Please, meet me there, and come back here tomorrow and tell me about the shirt I'm wearing.

If you want to get all science-ey, I'll even message a neutral third party the details of my shirt the night before.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Phooey. Being worried about astral projection and the occult, makes about as much sense as being worried about ouija boards (copyright Hasbro, makers of fine occultic games like Monopoly and Life).

Open Offer: If anyone wants to take me up on a little experiment, let me know. I will astrally project myself that night, to the reflecting pool next in temple square. I will be wearing a certain kind of shirt. Please, meet me there, and come back here tomorrow and tell me about the shirt I'm wearing.

If you want to get all science-ey, I'll even message a neutral third party the details of my shirt the night before.

I'll just say you didn't show up ;)

My family calls Alzheimer's / certain forms of dementia as "Spirit Gone Walkabout".

Conversely, writer's block, is the opposite. My spirit is feeling incredibly lazy, fragile, or snarky, and is refusing to leave the house... And is curled up on the couch with a blankie, pajamas, and a box of tissues. .

There are countless traditions of the mobility of spirits. Culturally & family & religiously.

Shrugs

I can't imagine it to be all dangerous, nor all good.

It seems like the height of idiocy to imagine the spirit is only bound by a thin cord, though.

Seriously. We've got universes of molecules, each wi the power of an atom bomb, whirling away in our bloodstream. Crazy chemical reactions every pica second, trillions of cells and individual DNA, and maternal mitochondrial DNA, minds fashioning neurology so unique and individual that no two brains are ever the same, with neurons in every part of our bod sending signals and lightning storms through us. Vast and raw power and individuality... And the New Agey thing to visualize is a bit of string??? It's just alway struck me as preposterous. No wonder people think they can get locked out if that's all they think ties them to themselves, or value themselves so casually. Um. Hello. Me. Mine. Lock, stock, and barrel.

Q

My family calls Alzheimer's / certain forms of dementia as "Spirit Gone Walkabout".

Conversely, writer's block, is the opposite. My spirit is feeling incredibly lazy, fragile, or snarky, and is refusing to leave the house... And is curled up on the couch with a blankie, pajamas, and a box of tissues. .

There are countless traditions of the mobility of spirits. Culturally & family & religiously.

Shrugs

I can't imagine it to be all dangerous, nor all good.

It seems like the height of idiocy to imagine the spirit is only bound by a thin cord, though.

Seriously. We've got universes of molecules, each wi the power of an atom bomb, whirling away in our bloodstream. Crazy chemical reactions every pica second, trillions of cells and individual DNA, and maternal mitochondrial DNA, minds fashioning neurology so unique and individual that no two brains are ever the same, with neurons in every part of our bod sending signals and lightning storms through us. Vast and raw power and individuality... And the New Agey thing to visualize is a bit of string??? It's just alway struck me as preposterous. No wonder people think they can get locked out if that's all they think ties them to themselves, or value themselves so casually. Um. Hello. Me. Mine. Lock, stock, and barrel.

Q

that's just one thought, different people have different thoughts.

That's the thing about a lot of new age idea's there are many different ones that can pertain to the same thing, or different beliefs on the same thing (such as where we go when we die, how many deities there are, what one considers a deity, if there is a deity one can talk to, how prayer is conducted, all sorts).

Why do they call it spirit gone walkabout?

Aussie influence (great grandfather served with an Australian regiment... We also sing Christmas carols in the summertime as an unrelated quirk).

Early onset Alzeheimers runs in my family. Typically age 30-60 if its going to hit.

ANYHOW... About 200 years ago one of my ancestors decided that what Alzheimer's was was his wife's spirit trying to take care of things in this world before she passed, because she didn't have enough time to take care of those things in her lifetime. God being generous allowed her spirit to do the things it needed to do, but also come back for a time, and from time to time to be with the people she loved, instead of simply dying.

The concept has just stuck.

Watching my grandmother, and now my mother, it's simply one of those things which may not be right... But FEELS right.

No idea whether things are temporal or spirit world, and quite frankly, I'd prefer not to find out. It usually only hits one or two a generation, and that's not the grenade I'd prefer to jump on.

It just got the name in WWI (WWII? Tripoli.).

The phrase has been catching on, lately. My great grandfather picked it up from an Aussie family familiar with early onset, we've used it for a few generations, and the ward my grandmother was in, rather a lot of the staff and other families adopted it. So it's not just "ours". Or even originally ours.

Similarly (family beliefs)... The fluidity and grace of childhood comes from he spirit being new to its body, the pain of old age the spirit preparing to leave its body. Also meaning that the natural consequence of Spirit Gone Walkabout are physical consequences. That there is no, lubrication?/ vivacity/ fluidity, with the spirit gone... So things go a bit pear shaped on the home front. Plaques, sclerosis, calcifications, atrophy. The idea being that when the spirit isn't home to mind the shop, things aren't taken care of as they ought to be.

Also my family has gallows humor. Anything possible to smile at, we do.

I should mention, my family isn't LDS.

Mostly totally secular research scientists, military, medical types.

Q

Edited by Quin
Cut & paste was out of order

that's just one thought, different people have different thoughts.

That's the thing about a lot of new age idea's there are many different ones that can pertain to the same thing, or different beliefs on the same thing (such as where we go when we die, how many deities there are, what one considers a deity, if there is a deity one can talk to, how prayer is conducted, all sorts).

I think I went about it awkwardly.... But the variance of thoughts surrounding the ties that bind was actually my point. Along with the idea that if you're going to choose a tie, dental floss wouldn't be my first choice.

Q

Open Offer: If anyone wants to take me up on a little experiment, let me know. I will astrally project myself that night, to the reflecting pool next in temple square. I will be wearing a certain kind of shirt. Please, meet me there, and come back here tomorrow and tell me about the shirt I'm wearing.

Oy! Put your shirt back on!

The problem with the stories here is that hte people lacked the knowledge to do this correctly.

"my body was taken over"

The problem is they don't know how to A) protect against evill B ) do it according to the way God wants us to C) Get persmission from heavenly father to do it... Discerning of spirits comes in here. One of the greatest gifts we should seek after.

If done correctly there will be no fear in such a practice and can be used for the benefit of man.

lack of knowledge generates fear.

Edited by ElectofGod