Stem Cell Research

Yeh what is his position on it. I have my own opinion of stem cell research. Just curious what Orin Hatch's is.

Okay I just "googled" Orrin Hatch and Stem Cell Research. Everything I can find states he is all for stem cell research.

He wants to allow the use of embryonic stem cells already slated for destruction for research. It is reported that there are some 400,000 such embryos in storage at this time. Perhaps one way to look at it is that it would be a greater evil to destroy them without doing the research than it would be to allow this loss of life to at least provide some positive outcome.

I am looking hopefully toward the technology that will allow such research to be done without destroying any embryos which is in the scientific community debated much, but looked upon with great anticipation. This would bring us around the whole issue to the other side. There are many scientists that believe this may come sooner than a legal solution through our governmental processes.

There is the still greater unanswered question of whether this research will provide us anymore knowledge than the possible fact that it is a dead end. I hope it is not, and I hope we can be able soon to do the research without the need of any destruction of life whatsoever.

I support the idea held by Sen. Hatch, but I think legislation on the matter must be overseen extremely carefully and thoroughly by our most informed and educated specialized professionals.

-a-train

I don't know what to think of the whole issue. The supposed benefits are magnificent, but the whole premise of using a "garbage" embryo (which is really what they are, if you think bluntly) bothers me. I don't see a whole lot of difference in using them or using a freshly aborted embryo/fetus for the study. I can see why maybe the thought process behind using something that is going to be destroyed anyway, but I see that as an end around on the current restrictions.

I think we are crossing another line here from which there is no return (legalizing abortion was the first big step), and I don't know that we have thought the ramifications thru thoroughly...

I found this article from 2005. I'm going to have to agree with Mr. Hatch on this one.

I believe we are on the verge of a similar step, a new generation in medical research and treatment, thanks to the incredible potential of stem cells. Stem cell research – particularly, embryonic stem cell research – holds great promise. To quote Nobel Laureate Dr. Harold Varmus, “The development of cell lines that may produce almost every tissue of the human body is an unprecedented scientific breakthrough. It is not too unrealistic to say that this research has the potential to revolutionize the practice of medicine and improve the quality and length of life.”

As Dr. Varmus noted, embryonic stem cells appear to have the amazing potential to transform themselves into any of the more than 200 types of cells that form the human body. These cells could be the key to understanding much about human health and disease and may yield new diagnostic tests, treatments, and cures for diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease, Parkinson’s, autoimmune diseases, and many, many others…

...But let me just stress one aspect of that need: ethics. Without the National Institutes of Health setting the ethical guidelines for stem cell research, we invite a host of problems. Most of us feel strongly that human reproductive cloning is wrong, for example. But where should the lines be drawn with regard to embryonic stem cell research – particularly, somatic cell nuclear transfer and the use of cell lines derived from IVF embryos?

The NIH is the obvious and crucial choice to help set the ethical boundaries. Our bill will ban outright any attempt at bringing to life a cloned human being. It will also prohibit research on any embryo created through somatic cell nuclear transfer beyond 14 days, require informed consent of donors, prohibit profiteering from donated eggs, and mandate separation of the egg collection site from the research laboratory.

The NIH will help determine other suitable ethical guidelines in allowing this critical research to go forward with federal funding and at federally-funded institutions. There is no question in my mind that, when they do, the rest of the world will follow.

Now, the last time we introduced this bill, there was interest in the fact that I, as a strongly pro-life senator, would be the lead sponsor. I think we have put that issue behind us, as more pro-life lawmakers have expressed their support for this research. The fact is, I have never believed that life begins in a Petri dish. And as I travel across my home state of Utah, more and more Utahns, whether they are pro-life or not, come up to me and say, “Orrin, we’re with you on this. You’re doing the right thing.”

That support is building across the country, and we must act. If we do not seize this opportunity, other countries could take the leading role in medicine’s next great advance. We will lose the chance to set ethical guidelines, we will lose doctors to overseas research institutions, and most importantly, we will lose the chance to offer new hope to American and other patients who are waiting in desperation for treatments and cures…

(HATCH INTRODUCES HUMAN CLONING BAN, STEM CELL RESEARCH ACT, April 21, 2005)

M.

While the idea and the ability is awesome the possibility for abuse is beyond understanding. Here is a way to grow and develop embryos for life saving benefits. What about the life that is taken.

In South America many countries have limited if not stopped all together the ability to adopt out of their country after discovering that babies were being adopted in to Europe to farm their organs and parts for transplants of wealthy europeans.

Ben Raines

...What about the life that is taken....

Here's a couple of definitions of Life:

1. the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

2. the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, esp. metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

These embryos are in a state of limbo. Their only way to become life is by attaching themselves to a uterus.

M.

While the idea and the ability is awesome the possibility for abuse is beyond understanding. Here is a way to grow and develop embryos for life saving benefits. What about the life that is taken.

In South America many countries have limited if not stopped all together the ability to adopt out of their country after discovering that babies were being adopted in to Europe to farm their organs and parts for transplants of wealthy europeans.

Ben Raines

Where did you hear about this, Ben? This is very disturbing.

I met a man at church who had just come back from a humanitarian mission to Ecuador. He was there as a orthopedic surgeon and while there helped build a new orphanage for the homeless orphan children. I asked if there were lots of children adopted to the US from there or if he had considered it. He told me why there were not. It appears that after a several year sting operation one of the high ranking military officials and many others were arrested for phony adoptions to eastern europe that ended with the children being used for organs.

With my view of abortion this would be the same for using embryos for stem cell research.

A few years ago there was a family in the news that when they found that their daughter was deathly ill and needed something but it would need to be from a sibling and she was an only child the parents had a baby and then the little girl was used to mine what was needed. Both are now healthy children. This would be done on a much greater scale with approved stem cell research.

"Just because we can does not mean that we should". I am sure someone else has said that before but I do not know who.

Ben Raines

This is such a difficult subject. There are pros and cons to both sides. All comes down to what is ethical and if it is done correctly. There are reasons I am for it. I'd done much reading on stem cell research and how it could relate to those with Alzheimers. To be able to regrow or replace some of the brain cells that cause this horrible disease is completely amazing. Won't happen with my father who is too far along. Nancy Reagan has been a big supporter of this of course with her husband President Reagan. I just wish this had been approved years ago when so barely new. Atrify of brain cells that could be replaced would help so many people and hopefully put an end to the sufferring that not only the patient goes through but the entire family as well. It's not a "patient" disease it's one that affects the entire family. But only if this is done in a completely ethical manner. I would not want several lives taken for the sake of one in this way. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

This is such a difficult subject. There are pros and cons to both sides. All comes down to what is ethical and if it is done correctly. There are reasons I am for it. I'd done much reading on stem cell research and how it could relate to those with Alzheimers. To be able to regrow or replace some of the brain cells that cause this horrible disease is completely amazing. Won't happen with my father who is too far along. Nancy Reagan has been a big supporter of this of course with her husband President Reagan. I just wish this had been approved years ago when so barely new. Atrify of brain cells that could be replaced would help so many people and hopefully put an end to the sufferring that not only the patient goes through but the entire family as well. It's not a "patient" disease it's one that affects the entire family. But only if this is done in a completely ethical manner. I would not want several lives taken for the sake of one in this way. Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Did you know that Orin Hatch own's part of the pharmacatical company who is in favor of this stem cell research???? HUMMMMM Itn't it maybe out for the money?????? :dontknow:

Did you know that Orin Hatch own's part of the pharmacatical company who is in favor of this stem cell research???? HUMMMMM Itn't it maybe out for the money?????? :dontknow:

The only connection I could find between Hatch and anything Pharmaceutical is the formerly named Hatch-Waxman Act, now called the Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act; dealing with generic drugs, which are less expensive. That's a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch-Waxman_Act