Is it possible to be so spiritually sick that you're physically sick?

I am an inactive member. I was baptized in September 2010 and within a matter of 7-8 months I fell away from the Church for various reasons. Before this time I was battling medical problems that affected my school and job performance. I also battled bulimia and depression for years. Then along came an old friend who introduced me to the Church and I was instantly in love. All of my problems instantly disappeared. I was happier than ever. Physical ailments no longer existed and I was able to be social.

But after I fell away it was a few months before I became ill again. And this was with a vengeance. Over the last 3 years that I have been inactive and not living the principles, I have seen a very sharp decline in my health. It's at a point where I had to take a year off school, am unable to work, and can barely eat anything. I'm miserable and depression is starting to set back in.

When I was going to Church I often heard leaders talk about spiritual sickness. And how when someone sins they begin to lose that essence and eventually become dead inside. I think this is what has happened to me. I left the Church for conflicting reasons and over time the healing that Heavenly Father brought me eventually dissipated and I have essentially poisoned myself.

Do you think this could be true? And how do I reverse it? I have thought about going back to Church many times but feel ashamed/embarrassed/afraid. It has been a long time and now instead of being in a YSA, I would be in a family ward--I'm married to a non-member. I'm just not sure how to approach this mess.

I am an inactive member. I was baptized in September 2010 and within a matter of 7-8 months I fell away from the Church for various reasons. Before this time I was battling medical problems that affected my school and job performance. I also battled bulimia and depression for years. Then along came an old friend who introduced me to the Church and I was instantly in love. All of my problems instantly disappeared. I was happier than ever. Physical ailments no longer existed and I was able to be social.

But after I fell away it was a few months before I became ill again. And this was with a vengeance. Over the last 3 years that I have been inactive and not living the principles, I have seen a very sharp decline in my health. It's at a point where I had to take a year off school, am unable to work, and can barely eat anything. I'm miserable and depression is starting to set back in.

When I was going to Church I often heard leaders talk about spiritual sickness. And how when someone sins they begin to lose that essence and eventually become dead inside. I think this is what has happened to me. I left the Church for conflicting reasons and over time the healing that Heavenly Father brought me eventually dissipated and I have essentially poisoned myself.

Do you think this could be true? And how do I reverse it? I have thought about going back to Church many times but feel ashamed/embarrassed/afraid. It has been a long time and now instead of being in a YSA, I would be in a family ward--I'm married to a non-member. I'm just not sure how to approach this mess.

There are many things that I believe contribute to good health. Diet, exercise, enough sleep, no stress as well as spiritual health. If you have a positive attitude thinking you are doing what you need to do for good health is very important - in science it is called the placebo effect.

Ask you husband to go to church with you. I love FDR and his famous quote, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." Like anything else it is much easier to "fit in" if you believe you fit in. Thinking you do not fit in creates what I call obstacle illusions. :D

The Traveler

Yes, I believe that it is possible that spiritual sickness, stress, mental anguish and a myriad of other non-physical things can affect physical health.

I have a neurological disease that manifests in facial spasms. I literally wear my feelings on my face - when I am happy I look normal, when I am unhappy or stressed I look terrible.

I also suffer from migraines and I keep a diary of when they occur - it is nearly always at a time of some time of stress whether physical or mental.

Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed to go to church. There are many people that have fallen away for many reasons, heavenly father wants you and all of them back! The atonement is there for a reason and it is available to all that want it.

Make the decision and just do it. What's the worst that could happen? What's the best that could happen?

While I was in university (sometime between 2001 and 2004) I read an article about a Jewish Lady living in America.

She was one of Twins that was subjected to horrible experimentation during WW2 - and although both her and her sister survived her sister did eventually die from the effects of those experiments. She herself struggled with her health for a very, very long time. Nothing Drs did seemed to help. It wasn't until a Christian said to her that she needed to forgive those who were involved with the experimentation to be able to start to heal. She said that it took a lot of prayer and support from her Rabbi - but as she started to be able to face her past and forgive those people - as she did so her health started to improve.

Now she runs a holocaust musuem and is still in good health.

Remember that Christ didn't hang out with the rabbis and pharisees (sp?) but the publicans, humble fishermen and others.

In going back to church you are going to a new ward from the one you were attending when you were a ysa (by the sounds of it) so they wont know what you were like before or why you stopped attending church so you will be starting with a clean slate so to speak. They will welcome you with open arms and give you all the support you need

• 2 weeks later...

The best thing for

I would say the answer is Probably YES.!!

The best thing is to get back on the right track, talk to your wife about this...Have the missionary's over feed them they could use a good meal the can get to know u and ur spouse and reteach you and your + ur spouse in a non threatening way. Or talk to your wife and tell her youd like to go back to church and would like her to come with you. then invite the missionary's over. Which ever way..just get back. GOd loves you so much and Loves your wife too. He wants the best for you. Remember there is opposition in all things. Satan is happy you went inactive and He will try to keep you chained to him. I know this is true. I also know that you can undo those chains and get free, but you need Christ help for that and He is willing to help. Use him!!!! Some of your emotional problems will go away some may stay I dont know. What I do know is we all have trails, hardships etc. we dont need to go through them alone. You will find much joy in the church then out. Many have felt and do feel the same ashamed, embarrassed THe prophets have told us to come back!! and I agree with them! Dont worry the church wont fall down on everyone cause u desided to come as a matter of fact their will be many happy faces to see you there on this side and on the other side of the veil....I hope you will do it!! I know you will be blessed!!!

Edited by Roseslipper

Yes, I believe that it is possible that spiritual sickness, stress, mental anguish and a myriad of other non-physical things can affect physical health.

I have a neurological disease that manifests in facial spasms. I literally wear my feelings on my face - when I am happy I look normal, when I am unhappy or stressed I look terrible.

I also suffer from migraines and I keep a diary of when they occur - it is nearly always at a time of some time of stress whether physical or mental.

Don't feel embarrassed or ashamed to go to church. There are many people that have fallen away for many reasons, heavenly father wants you and all of them back! The atonement is there for a reason and it is available to all that want it.

Make the decision and just do it. What's the worst that could happen? What's the best that could happen?

I talked to my old Bishop and some old friends from the Church. They have been helping me integrate into my new ward. It is still a little scary, but one step at a time.

Yes, and no.

Spiritual sickness is not a direct result of being physically sick.

For example, I fell away about a year and a half ago, while I was battling depression, and severe anxiety. Was it the depression and anxiety that caused me to go inactive? No. It was the fact that I gave up on religion entirely.

This all goes back to faith, and hope.

I have two neighbors. One had skin cancer, and had to have her nose removed. Another, has terminal cancer. Both of them are the strongest members I've ever seen. While they have one of the worst illnesses imaginable, their spirits were more healthy than most other people.

Physical illness is just a trial, our spirits are affected by how we respond to said trial.

For example, there's something I learned when I took an MMA class a few years back. You can learn everything you need to know about your opponent, by how they respond to your first tag. The mind registers one of two thoughts... Get out, or get in. If your opponent backs up, you know they are giving up, if they get in, you know they are willing to fight.

Same thing between spiritual, and physical illness.