temple question

abeChristianson

How do you explain why we cannot just let anyone in the temple?

The purpose of the temple is to make additional covenants with the Lord. Those who are recommended to enter the House of the Lord are those who have made previous covenants and are keeping those covenants.

Divine commandment.

There's no bullet-proof way to know for certain who is "unclean" for the purposes of that commandment (and certainly "unclean" is a rather impolitic way of putting things--but theologically, that's how you describe someone who has not yet gone through the first principles/ordinances of faith, repentance, baptism, and laying on of hand for the gift of the Holy Ghost). Still, the Church is under obligation to do its best to keep its temples holy. The temple recommend questions provide a sort of lowest-common-denominator towards that goal.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

When in doubt, I revert to well known religious phraseology.

Aka:

Catholic... It's just like the Vatican, or certain monasteries that aren't open to the public, or even all members. Vows n'stuff are required for entry.

(Ahem. I DO use lighthearted things like " n'stuff " when talking to people. Because keeping things on a friendly / open level, instead of dun dun duuuuuuuun: YOU aren't good enough. Which is what most people tend to hear, otherwise. By keeping things in their own vernacular, and then further lightening things... I get a lot of "Ooooooooooh. Okay. That makes sense.")

I'll use other religions (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.) as needed / depending on who my listeners are.

Q

When in doubt, I revert to well known religious phraseology.

Aka:

Catholic... It's just like the Vatican, or certain monasteries that aren't open to the public, or even all members. Vows n'stuff are required for entry. Q

I see what you're getting at here but there's really no equivalent of the temple in Catholic parlance. Certain areas of the Vatican and certain monasteries are not open to the public NOT because of the sacredness of the covenants made there that requires a certain level of faithfulness. The vows don't make these areas exclusive. Rather, the reason it is not open to the public is for the safety and security and prevention of disruptions of peaceful activities inside these areas. If they so desire, they can open these areas to certain people that have not made vows like journalists and such.

I see what you're getting at here but there's really no equivalent of the temple in Catholic parlance. Certain areas of the Vatican and certain monasteries are not open to the public NOT because of the sacredness of the covenants made there that requires a certain level of faithfulness. The vows don't make these areas exclusive. Rather, the reason it is not open to the public is for the safety and security and prevention of disruptions of peaceful activities inside these areas. If they so desire, they can open these areas to certain people that have not made vows like journalists and such.

Exactly.

But it gives people a frame of reference (and temples have exceptions from time to time as well, like prededication & rededication following construction) without the "You unclean, profane, unworthy thing, you" vibe so many take offense at.

No one likes to hear that they're not good enough... Which is what most people hear as soon as the sacredness & covenants get brought up. That they're "not good enough" to be in a sacred place. So they get hurt, and offended, and quit listening.

When, really, the intent is just the opposite.

LOL. Then there's the flip side of the coin... People who hear sacred and want to see just because / of COURSE they're not in the 'out group'.

For that one I quote _________. "Curiosity is not preparation." (Grrrr. Who said that? I always forget). & -if they're not antisemetic- Jewish conversion.

((Jewish conversion entails a year or more of intense study prior to conversion. We require a year or more of study post conversion.))

All parallels break down eventually.

Mostly I'm just going for clear as mud, but understanding & accepting.

Q

Exactly.

But it gives people a frame of reference (and temples have exceptions from time to time as well, like prededication & rededication following construction) without the "You unclean, profane, unworthy thing, you" vibe so many take offense at.

No one likes to hear that they're not good enough... Which is what most people hear as soon as the sacredness & covenants get brought up. That they're "not good enough" to be in a sacred place. So they get hurt, and offended, and quit listening.

When, really, the intent is just the opposite.

LOL. Then there's the flip side of the coin... People who hear sacred and want to see just because / of COURSE they're not in the 'out group'.

For that one I quote _________. "Curiosity is not preparation." (Grrrr. Who said that? I always forget). & -if they're not antisemetic- Jewish conversion.

((Jewish conversion entails a year or more of intense study prior to conversion. We require a year or more of study post conversion.))

All parallels break down eventually.

Mostly I'm just going for clear as mud, but understanding & accepting.

Q

I understand exactly what you're trying to do. I do it quite often when explaining things that have different nomenclature. For example, when a Catholic asks me, what is a ward, a stake, etc. I give the Catholic frame of reference - parish, diocese, etc. Or when I'm talking to a baptist, I use Pastor instead of Bishop. Or when I'm explaining garments, I relate it to a nun's habit or the priest's vestments or when talking to a Muslim, the beard or the burqa.

But, associating the Temple with certain areas of the Vatican does not relate. It would only cause confusion. We shouldn't have to twist the basic purpose of something just so we can avoid offending people.

I didnt read all that was said upabove yet I tell people your membership is like going to school u can start in kindergarten and then jump to 5th grade. YOu join your in kindergarten you continue to learn and go thru High School, going to the temple is like going to college. YOu need to be reaDY for this!! for you will be taken out more promises to Heavenly Father. He wants to give us all everything our journey is alot of steps when your ready to go on then its time to go to the temple and continue to learn and grow and take more steps. He's not holding anyone back from doing this!! But we really need to be ready for it.! and It is all wonderful!! I promise you this its worth it. The Temple's are the best place's in the world not because there beautiful it's because what you feel when your inside!!!

Some people say its secret its not, its in the scriptures. It's scared gee I hope I spelled that right :rolleyes:

I cant wait 4 the Ft. Laud temple will be open probably this March it's exciting!!!