Emergency Preparedness Links

Guest Username-Removed

Ive never seen the MRE entrees that come with spoons. Only the full meals. Umm, just a warning to non-military guys, they are LOADED with calories - So, entrees will be good, unless you want to gain 20lbs in a disaster! LOL

If you have one MRE (meaning one complete pouch, not just the main meal) it is designed to be 3k cal if you eat everything in the pack. That is so at a bare minimum you only need one per day. 3 per day is ok if your in a very active mode (i.e combat), but under normal circumstances one a day will support you quite well.

Another health related note too.... They are very high in sodium, on purpose, to replace the salt you lose through sweat when working, especially in the desert, which is where us military types tend to get deployed to the most.

Guest Username-Removed

Ive never seen the MRE entrees that come with spoons. Only the full meals. Umm, just a warning to non-military guys, they are LOADED with calories - So, entrees will be good, unless you want to gain 20lbs in a disaster! LOL

If you have one MRE (meaning one complete pouch, not just the main meal) it is designed to be 3k cal if you eat everything in the pack. That is so at a bare minimum you only need one per day. 3 per day is ok if your in a very active mode (i.e combat), but under normal circumstances one a day will support you quite well.

Another health related note too.... They are very high in sodium, on purpose, to replace the salt you lose through sweat when working, especially in the desert, which is where us military types tend to get deployed to the most.

Frank,

Remind me to ask you to write up a section for my website on MRE's. Seriously, if you write it up and its newsworthy, I will post your article.

Remember I am not saying to live off of MREs for the rest of your life. If there came a time that I had to live off of MREs every day I think I would be sweating a lot too. Here in Las Vegas if I am eating an MRE as regular food I bet I won't have electricity either. Of the entrees I tried they were about 350 calories each. I could eat 5 of those a day and still lose weight.

No food supply is an answer to everything but they are simple, self contained and tasty. I have tried some other freeze dried stuff and they can be made good with additive seasonings but these were good from the pouch.

Ben Raines

Guest Username-Removed

Remember I am not saying to live off of MREs for the rest of your life. If there came a time that I had to live off of MREs every day I think I would be sweating a lot too. Here in Las Vegas if I am eating an MRE as regular food I bet I won't have electricity either. Of the entrees I tried they were about 350 calories each. I could eat 5 of those a day and still lose weight.

No food supply is an answer to everything but they are simple, self contained and tasty. I have tried some other freeze dried stuff and they can be made good with additive seasonings but these were good from the pouch.

Ben Raines

Ben,

You are absolutely correct! There are many ways to store food & water. This is one of those areas where my personal view is to give people the information, and let them choose how to do it. For example, there are about many different ways to store water. I looked at the big 50 gallon drums, and several other ways, and I ended up simply buying and storing those 5 gallon office "water cooler' bottles. Since I have a water cooler, I use it to dispense my water for cooking and daily drinking. That allows me to rotate the stored water which I use about 1, 5 gallon jug per month. The bonus? They deliver me a new bottle every month to my apartment and it only cost about $3.50 for it! The initial costs were the water cooler, about $100. It has a little refrigerator on the bottom which is a great back up for the big frig, it cools the water and also heats it! I store 10, 5 gallon jugs. That will hold me for 50 days- which isnt bad for an apartment!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yediyd

Supplies and kits:

1) Prepare 4 Disaster

http://www.prepare4disaster.com/default.asp?

2) Emergency Essentials

http://beprepared.com/

3) National Survival Supply

http://www.survivalsupplys.com/home.php

4) QuakeCare

http://www.quakekare.com/index.html

Government Links for Information

1) Ready.Gov

http://www.ready.gov/

2) Center for Disease Control

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/planning/shelteringfacts.asp

3) Pandemic Flu.Gov

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/index.html

4) NOAA National Weather Link

http://www.weather.gov/view/nationalwarnings.php?map=on

5) USGS - Earthquake Link

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

6) FEMA - Link to their site on Tsunamis

http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/tsunamis.shtm

7) American Red Cross - Wildfires

http://www.redcross.org/services/prepare/0...,0_251_,00.html

If got a lot of information on this subject. If anybody needs more info, I will by happy to supply.

hey wordflood,

thanks for the great links!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Username-Removed

Not a problem. There are more links on the website everyday. I just revamped to make the site simpler to navigate. Also added more info on earthquakes. It was very interesting reading what Wikipedia said about the Wasatch Fault in Utah. We are overdue for a 7.0 or greater earthquake, and the drop in fault along the lake side of the fault would result in significant, permanent flooding in many areas of the near the Great Salt Lake! YIKES!

Guest Yediyd

:wow:

Not a problem. There are more links on the website everyday. I just revamped to make the site simpler to navigate. Also added more info on earthquakes. It was very interesting reading what Wikipedia said about the Wasatch Fault in Utah. We are overdue for a 7.0 or greater earthquake, and the drop in fault along the lake side of the fault would result in significant, permanent flooding in many areas of the near the Great Salt Lake! YIKES!

Good to know, Wordflood...

I was thinking of relokating to Utah...My Bishop advised against it....So, of course, I won't...but I've had it on my mind...maybe not so much, now! :wow::mellow:

Heard anything about impending disasters in NY? :unsure:

Guest Username-Removed

:wow: <div class='quotemain'>

Good to know, Wordflood...

I was thinking of relokating to Utah...My Bishop advised against it....So, of course, I won't...but I've had it on my mind...maybe not so much, now! :wow::mellow:

Heard anything about impending disasters in NY? :unsure:

Its true every area has its issues. Before I moved to Idaho a few years ago (now here in Utah) I had a very vivid dream about nuclear waste and how terrorists bombed it near where I was going to live. When I moved to Idaho a few months later, I did some research on Nuclear Waste in Idaho. Did you know that Idaho has that current largest nuclear waste facility in the world? Yep! Just outside of Idaho falls. They store all the nuclear waste for the military ships, and more.

Kinda raises your eyebrows huh? :digowngrave:

Guest Username-Removed

When you reply, they show up on the left hand side, but the cool ones are under "SHOW ALL" click that and another window pops up. :whip::jedi::deadhorse:

Guest Yediyd

:pcguru:

When you reply, they show up on the left hand side, but the cool ones are under "SHOW ALL" click that and another window pops up. :whip::jedi::deadhorse:

:pcguru::clap::bearhug::bouncing: So COOL!!!!!! THANKS, WordFLOOD!!!!!!!!!

Bear in mind that the last time I was in Iraq I lived on nothing but MREs and water every meal for five months before we got hot food... :yuck:

Bear in mind that the last time I was in Iraq I lived on nothing but MREs and water every meal for five months before we got hot food... :yuck:

I know that constipated feeling. :gnash:

I had the same thing. Then after we got setup on our OP it seemed like we had beef and noodles t-rats for another 3 months. Then we got a KBR defac, that was awesome.

<div class='quotemain'>

MREs: Is a food package that requires water not to hydrate the food but to warm it. There is a heating element in MREs. THE calorie count in an MRE is 2000 calories. There are many companies who manufactor these meals. Compare before you buy.

Basically people need to prepare for personal disaster like loss of life, loss of employment, loss of home, and health care.

Loss of life is more than prearranging your funeral. It is an unexpected loss of life caused by accidents and acute illness such as heart attacks...etc. Employment benefits are not immediate sources of income for the surivors nor is it a guardian for surviving minor children.

Loss of employment is always a concern. Unemployment benefits can take weeks and months before they are received. The same is true of disability insurance whether it is provided for a temporary circumstance or a lifetime health issue.

Loss of home whether it is an issue of a foreclosure or loss from a fire or flood. Some people may even be asked to relocate due to a neighborhood renovation by their city.

Health Care is not only an issue for senior citizens and people with continuing medical needs like diabetics. Children have many health care needs. Health Care is also about prescription eye glasses and dental needs.

Emergency Preparedness: We could have had an abundance of food storage, water, 72 hour kits, etc. but we would not have met the challenge that we incurred about seven years ago.

It was a typical Saturday and we had traveled to the town over and went to a festival. The weather was great and we were there about four hours. When we returned to our town and drove down the street toward our neighborhood, we found the streets blocked and closed off and miles of yellow caution tape. We talked with a volunteer who was redirecting traffic away from our home. There was a fire at an automotive center and some of their supplies were exploding hindering the efforts to distinguish the blaze.

Our neighborhood had been evacuated (or asked to leave) and all utilities had been turned off. Our designated emergency shelter was in our neighborhood! Being a Saturday, there was no community leaders who had been called in. There was no Red Cross and at the time, we did not have any shelters in our town. (We have one now but it could only handle about 30 people, not an entire neighborhood.)

Most people, like us, went to a friend's house or relatives'. (We were not in the Church at this time.) News Crews had reported the fire and we were to get a banner on TV when we could return. It was 8 or 10 hours before we could go home and there were no utilities until the next day.

Of course we could go buy water and ice after we came home. It was not just an inconvenience that makes you worry, but the number of people who immediately needed help.

• 6 months later...
Guest Username-Removed

I just thought I would bump this. Our stake has taken notice and the stake president thanked me for creating the LDSready.org website. I've hooked up with a FEMA employee and member, who is now a friend, and he has just been called as the Stake Emergency guy and now have lots of good FEMA vids on the site. The site is now totally ad free. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...