Homecoming: Harmony trilogy by Orson Scott Card

MrShorty

While I have seen people mention this series by Brother Card, I have not seen a specific thread here in the Book club for this particular series. (I only found three books in the series. If there are more that extend the story, I'm sorry to have missed them).

Most if not all LDS will know the basic plot of this series. In this series Orson Scott Card provides a retelling of the story of Lehi's (Volemak's) family's journey from Jerusalem (Basilica) up the point where Nephi (Nafai) is commanded to build a boat. Instead of the ancient middle east, the setting is the planet Harmony millions of years in the future. At some point, mankind became so warlike that they essentially destroyed Earth. In colonizing other planets, humans created a supercomputer (the Oversoul) whose task is to monitor human development on this planet. This computer has the ability to influence the people and prevent them from developing technologies that would lead us to potentially obliterate themselves. After millions of years, this computer has begun to deteriorate. A small group of people who are particularly susceptible to the Oversoul's influence are selected to leave the city of Basilica and eventually return to Earth where the Oversoul can be repaired.

While many LDS would enjoy this trilogy, it should be noted that Orson Scott Card writes for a secular audience, and much of his writing reflects this. I would give this an "R" rating for sexual situations and dialog (maybe a strong PG13 if I was feeling generous), so one should not undertake to read it if one is looking for a "mormon" style book.

I did not know before starting this series that it was a retelling of the Book of Mormon story, but it did not take too long to figure it out. In many ways I was surprised at how many of the Lehite story's details he incorporated into this science-fictionalization. In many ways, I could also see how someone who was familiar with the Book of Mormon might be offended at the retailing, too, and not just because of the sexual references.

There very well could be. Our library had the trilogy bound in one thick book, and that is what I have read. I haven't yet really looked to see if there are more books in the series.

Wikipedia says there are 5 books in the series. I haven't yet seen them, though I will see if our library has them.