Night Owl or Morning Person?

classylady

And about those roosters...

Living in the Philippines has taught me that roosters (the meanest of the fighting cocks) start crowing 2 HOURS before sunrise. Sunrise in the Philippines is within a few minutes of 6AM. So, that's 4AM folks! Just about the time when I am deep in sleep!

My biological clock leans towards being a night owl. My career clock was always a morning person. Now that I'm a stay at home mother, I am still a morning person, sometimes up before the crack of dawn tending to a toddler. In addition, my husband is naturally a morning person, so my schedule seems to go along with his. We wake up about the same time and we always go to bed the same time.

I'm a night person, but desperately wish I could just switch it on and off. I enjoy being up in the morning, and I feel good and happy and healthy and productive. But I just can't drag my butt out of bed early enough. It drive my morning person husband nuts!

I've always been a night owl. It causes some interesting clashes with my fiance, who is a complete morning person.

My husband has often said that if he could do it all over again, he'd marry a morning person. He intends to coach our daughters to consider that in their searches for husbands. Not that they're allowed to date, mind you. Like, ever.

Luckily, I married a night owl - my wife would happily sleep in each morning if she didn't have responsibilities to deal with, just like myself.

I don't think I could have married a morning person - my other half being up at the crack of dawn each morning would drive me insane.

Oh, I think night/morning-ness is a genetic trait! My 2 sons are night owls... They are going to be zombies in seminary (starts at 5:40AM). During Friday, I sometimes hear them still giggling at 3AM!

I'm a night person, but desperately wish I could just switch it on and off. I enjoy being up in the morning, and I feel good and happy and healthy and productive. But I just can't drag my butt out of bed early enough.

Ditto, ditto, DITTO!

I want desperately to be a morning person. I just enjoy the morning so much. But, I have a difficult time sleeping and sometimes just enjoy staying up to watch movies, or read, or chat. If I could just survive on 4 hrs sleep....

Just curious. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

I'm definitely a night owl. During the morning and early afternoon, I seem to "drag". I don't have a lot of energy, and at times I feel like I'm walking in a fog. Around 8 pm, I seem to get an energy burst. That's when I want to clean house, cook, get on the computer, etc.

I'm not the sort of night owl that functions on very little sleep. I need my 8 hours. When I had a 6 am shift at work, I'd have to get up at 4:30 am to get ready and drive my 35 minute commute. It was so hard to get to bed at a decent hour. I'd try to be in bed by 9 pm, but life seemed to conspire against me. My teenagers definitely didn't want to be in bed by 9, and there was always something they wanted me to do for them.

When I had an evening shift, and got off at midnight, by the time I got home from work it was close to 1 am. By the time I wound down, it was usually 2 to 3 am before I was in bed. My husband had a hard time understanding why I didn't come straight to bed. I was so wired after getting home, I needed time for myself and to wind down, before I could get into bed.

Even though I'm a night owl, I can make myself to go to bed at a decent hour and get up at a respectable time. But, I can tell it's not the way my body wants to function.

Both my husband and I are hard-wired night owls (in my case, there's got to be a genetic element, since my mother and her father are/were both the same way). I will respectfully disagree with some Church members I've been acquainted with who believed this to be unrighteousness. :)

well, it's midnight as I write this, so night owl. I hate mornings. I really really hate mornings. Unless I get to sleep in.

I actually do well when I am on a non-alarm schedule, but having an alarm is horrible for me. My natural schedule is all over the place. I think my ancestors must have lived in caves.

I'm stuck between but lean toward night owl traits/desires.

With no schedule I sleep in and stay up late. I like to get up early on a work/project day and get breakfast but loathe any conversation for the first two hours.

Right now I get up at 5:25am and might go to bed from 8pm to 2am depending. On the Sabbath I get up at 7am with church at 9am.

I think it'd verified that I'm definitely not a morning person by nature. A couple days ago in the wee early hours, early than normal, DH was up for work and came to my bedside to give me a goodbye kiss. According to him, I woke up very angry that he was bugging me and I slapped him.. :confused: I honestly don't remember doing that but apologized for it many times over. Maybe it was the Benadryl that was still in my system that left me super groggy? Lol..

I think it'd verified that I'm definitely not a morning person by nature. A couple days ago in the wee early hours, early than normal, DH was up for work and came to my bedside to give me a goodbye kiss. According to him, I woke up very angry that he was bugging me and I slapped him.. :confused: I honestly don't remember doing that but apologized for it many times over. Maybe it was the Benadryl that was still in my system that left me super groggy? Lol..

Once and only once - many years ago - I dreamed that robbers had broken into our house and tied me up while they were hurting my wife and children - forcing me to watch. I struggled and struggled to get free to help my family until I as able to get one arm free. I then, with all my might, took a swipe at the nearest robber. My poor startled wife reported as she was startled from her sleep, "Why did you do that!"

Much to my horror the robbers were nothing more than a dream and now having woken up I remember every detail. I apologized - for many hears since and am still embarrassed by the memory of my wife's black eye.

The Traveler

Once and only once - many years ago - I dreamed that robbers had broken into our house and tied me up while they were hurting my wife and children - forcing me to watch. I struggled and struggled to get free to help my family until I as able to get one arm free. I then, with all my might, took a swipe at the nearest robber. My poor startled wife reported as she was startled from her sleep, "Why did you do that!"

Much to my horror the robbers were nothing more than a dream and now having woken up I remember every detail. I apologized - for many hears since and am still embarrassed by the memory of my wife's black eye.

The Traveler

You gave her a black eye! OUCH.

Yeh I didn't slap him that hard I don't think because he didn't have any bruises but he said it hurt his feelings. Aw.

Hidden

Our first year of marriage included learning how to sleep with someone else. While both Sister Vort and myself greatly enjoyed sleeping with each other, I never realized that I tended to thrash around in my sleep. While I never gave her a black eye, I'm sure she wore at least a couple of bruises. Happily, within a few months I learned not to thrash around, and we've slept happily ever after.