Mission Question

gem2477

I still haven't rec'd a response re 'new missionary rules.' Are they going to be allowed to call home once a week? What are the new rules?

The Church has been testing new procedures here in Dallas, in Denver and someplace in CA (I'm thinking LA but may be mistaken, its been a while since the 5th Sunday meeting they used to introduce us to this)

They no longer proselyte during the daytime, they do service instead; volunteering at a number of places, some long term, some short term, some only once or twice.

Reasoning behind this is two fold - daytime proselyting has become almost worthless since in most of the free world men and women both work so its become; knock on a door, no one answers, knock on the next door, no one answers - repeat all day.

Secondly, they are actually working with people that see the service they give which leads to questions about why they are doing it, what they believe, etc - its been found they actually teach more lessons by not proselyting than they did by knocking on doors all day long.

Home | JustServe.org This Church owned website is a companion to this idea that members and non-members can both post projects/service opportunities to or to find opportunities to serve.

Edited by mnn727

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mnn727. That is very different, but it makes sense. I think doing service also gets the elders talking about a lot of stuff before they head into something like a lesson. No one wants to hear 'Hey, wanna change your religion? Let me tell you about the Plan of Salvation.' when they open the door.

We just had a stake conference which was all about missionaries and every member a missionary. I can see how having members be more active in bringing people to the missionaries would be more useful and maybe result in more baptisms than just having them knock on doors.

The other thing about knocking on doors is that, statistically, there are more guys in the field. It was always a problem to get my son to be home or to find a member to come out with the elders. The first time they knocked on the door, we had to stand on my front porch (and it was cold). Also, I've read where missionaries knock on a door and actually get an interested person, then the person feels insulted when the missionaries won't come in. I cannot tell you what a turn off this is for non-members. I understand the safety issues, but the other part of my brain still doesn't like it. Maybe having more sister missionaries will help in this regard.