Hello

tommypman

Hi, my name is Tom, I am not a Mormon, I am a practicing Catholic, but I am interested in learning about the Mormon faith and discussing both of our faiths together. I have been considering a move to Utah and if that does happen I would like to not be totally ignorant of the Mormon culture before I get there, so... here I am!

Welcome Tom!

It's interesting that you desire a conversation about Mormonism and Catholicism.

I recently visited a Monestary and purchased a book that a Monk wrote. I can't remember the name nor can I find it at present however the gist of it was the difference between the two religions. I found it very interesting and would love to discuss our similarities with you. :)

Regarding Mormon culture, it varies from city to city and even block to block so you'll get just as many responses.

I hope you enjoy your time on the site.

In the LDS book “A Marvelous Work and a Wonder” by LeGrand Richards, there is a classic dialogue. As I remember it, a Catholic Priest told the author something like this. “You Mormons do not realize the strength of your position. Catholics and Mormons both agree that Jesus Christ organized his church and endowed it with his Priesthood authority. The Catholics claim to be that same church today. Mormons claimed an apostasy occurred and corrupted the Catholic church,the authority was lost and later restored to the earth through Joseph Smith. It is an either/or situation. If the Catholics did fall into apostasy, then Protestants have no authority either because they broke off from the Catholic church and could not receive it from a failed church. The only way the true church with Priesthood authority could exist today would be by a new restoration from Jesus Christ or by the historical succession of the Catholic church. It can only be either the Catholics or Mormons.