Does Heavenly Father Have A Sense Of Humor

Durzan

I thought of this question a while back, and have sense come to my own conclusion. Now, I post it to hear your opinions. So, does Heavenly Father have a sense of humor?

Please explain your reasoning as best as you can; I am looking for some thoughtful answers.

Yes he does! At least I believe so - otherwise why would have plants in the middle of the jungle - far, far away any ocean that have a "perfume" that smells like rotting fish? Also if we are created in His image and likeness then the fact that most people have a sense of humor would be another indicator that he has one!

All loving father's have a sense of humor. Haven't you ever seen your parents laugh at a silly mistake you or a sibling made?

Sometimes its easier to laugh at my own mistakes when I look at myself from a parent's perspective. I'm sure some of our antics are hilarious, especially in the eternal scheme of things. :)

Heber C. Kimball said: “I am perfectly satisfied that my Father and my God is a cheerful, pleasant, lively, and good-natured Being. Why? Because I am cheerful, pleasant, lively, and good-natured when I have His Spirit”

I'm with Heber C. Kimball. It should go without saying that God's sense of humor is not cruel.

Just look at the platypus!

(Hey, where's Perry?)

:D

Posted Image

-"So God... you took a duck and a beaver... and gave it flipper claws..."

"And it lays eggs! Like an Echidna, in a pouch"

-"*sigh* is that all?"

"No... Wait! It's talons need to secrete poison!"

-"...Got it, poison..."

"I also have these people called bronies but... I donno if I want to make them ye- wait, oh no! Where's the unicorn?!"

Edited by Lakumi

Yes he does! At least I believe so - otherwise why would have plants in the middle of the jungle - far, far away any ocean that have a "perfume" that smells like rotting fish? Also if we are created in His image and likeness then the fact that most people have a sense of humor would be another indicator that he has one!

We are not really sure how God created things originally. Everything around us is as a result of the Fall and all things changed at that point, even us.

I thought of this question a while back, and have sense come to my own conclusion. Now, I post it to hear your opinions. So, does Heavenly Father have a sense of humor?

Please explain your reasoning as best as you can; I am looking for some thoughtful answers.

I'm not much on deep thought right now (cold medicine has been a food group for a few days now), but I can say I firmly believe that God does have a sense of humor. The platypus is exhibit A. :D

ETA: Got beaten to that one by a couple of people. I agree that the giraffe was a good argument in favor, too. :)

"A sense of humor" is very much a cultural construct. Asking whether God "has a sense of humor" is much like asking whether God "has a Texas accent".

God is perfect. Whatever qualities a fully perfect, omnipotent man has, God has those.

"A sense of humor" is very much a cultural construct. Asking whether God "has a sense of humor" is much like asking whether God "has a Texas accent".

God is perfect. Whatever qualities a fully perfect, omnipotent man has, God has those.

^^^^^

This.

I have a very playful relationship with my Heavenly Father. There is often snickering heard quite clearly from above. Others I've known have had very serious relationships. Perfection. All things, to everyone. To each, as needed.

Q

I once heard a Baptist preacher talk about Jesus' sense of humor. It was an interesting sermon, because many New Testament scholars agree that the Jesus painted by the four Gospels was utterly humorless. The preacher claimed that the Parable of the Great Dinner (Luke 14:15-24) strikes the modern reader as rather solemn, but that in Jesus' time it would have been laugh-out-loud funny.

If you read this parable and wonder why it would have been a thigh-slapper, here's a 21st-century equivalent. You ask a girl for a date in two weeks, and she replies that she can't go because she has to shampoo her hair that night. The idea of ludicrous pretexts is timeless, but the surface details apparently change over the centuries.

^^^^^

This.

I have a very playful relationship with my Heavenly Father. There is often snickering heard quite clearly from above. Others I've known have had very serious relationships. Perfection. All things, to everyone. To each, as needed.

Q

There are also people that mock God or blame God for everything that goes wrong .... To each, as needed.

George Q Cannon from Juvenile Instructor; “What is it to be humane to the beasts of the fields and birds of the air? It is more than to be considerate of the animal life entrusted to our care. It is a grateful appreciation of God’s creations. It is the lesson of divine love. To Him all life is a sacred creation for the use of His children. Do we stand beside Him in our tender regard for life?"

“Reverence is the noblest state in which a man can live in the world. Reverence is one of the signs of strength; irreverence, one of the surest indications of weakness. No man will rise high who jeers at sacred things. The fine loyalties of life must be reverenced or they will be foresworn in the day of trial.” (John Ruskin in David O. McKay, Man May Know for Himself [Deseret Book Co., 1967], p. 18.)

As George Q Cannon states all animals are sacred, making fun of them is, by definition, making fun of something that is sacred, which is irreverence. Closely akin to flippancy is irreverence. Making light of sacred things indicates a lack of affection for and faith in God.

As George Q Cannon states all animals are sacred, making fun of them is, by definition, making fun of something that is sacred, which is irreverence. Closely akin to flippancy is irreverence. Making light of sacred things indicates a lack of affection for and faith in God.

Methinks George Q Cannon and Seminarysnoozer lacks a sense of humor. :)

Seriously... there's a difference between making fun of something/somebody, being flippant, and having a sense of humor.