Michael/Adam Help

aclaire11

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the whole Michael/Adam doctrine.

So Michael helps create the earth, when he's already an angel. Then he receives a body. But angels are glorified humans. So why is he getting a physical body again? Or was he just a high-level spirit at that time? Was Eve something similar, or was she a regular spirit? If Michael become Adam, why does he only become an angel again afterwards instead of a higher being? Or was an angel, and then was taken back in time (because God is outside of time) to become Adam?

Do the angels go from angel to man to angel, or spirit to man to angel?

If someone could explain the logic, that would be amazing, because this is really proving to be a stumbling block for me. I don't think this was ever really explained to me, or else I just stared blankly and nodded because I was embarrassed I didn't get it. :embarrassed:

Moderator Note: Do not reference the details of LDS Temple liturgy.

Edited by Dravin

But angels are glorified humans.

Angels

To quote the link above:

There are two kinds of beings in heaven who are called angels: those who are spirits and those who have bodies of flesh and bone.

You seem to want to think of angels as purely the later, I think this is where the confusion is coming from.

The short explanation within this context is:

Spirit being -> Mortal being -> Resurrected or Translated Being

Edited by Dravin

Thank you, that did clear a few things up about Michael. So I assume he was a spirit when he created the world, and then was one of the "spirits who have once had a mortal body and are awaiting resurrection"? So can all spirits create before they have bodies, or was he special? Are all premortal spirits technically angels? Because I don't think I've heard anyone call them that.

Thank you, that did clear a few things up about Michael. So I assume he was a spirit when he created the world, and then was one of the "spirits who have once had a mortal body and are awaiting resurrection"? So can all spirits create before they have bodies, or was he special?

Unknown, it should be noted that Adam helped with the creation of the world and what exactly that entails is unknown.

Are all premortal spirits technically angels? Because I don't think I've heard anyone call them that.

Loosely an angel is a messenger from God. You seem to be wanting to make angel out as a term for a 'physical' state of being, and it is more akin to a calling or work. It's akin to how Police Officer refers to both men and women but it doesn't refer to them because they are men or women.

Edited by Dravin

Something else to keep in mind, oftentimes, the scriptures and temple use types to describe an event. We can't always assume everything that we read in the scriptures or see/learn in the temple is an exact representation of what actually happened.

For example, did Adam and Eve really eat a piece of fruit and that changed them? I am not convinced that that is what actually happened. I'm not sure if eating a fruit happened or if that is used to describe an event--in other words, eating the fruit is symbolic of something that happened to change them to mortal bodies.

So, when we read scriptures or see/hear something in the temple, it isn't as important to wonder if what we read/see is exactly what heppened or if it is demonstrating a higher lesson for us.

As I'm seeing for your question, the thing that needs to be addressed is what do you mean by angel? I think someone answered it. I believe Elder Holland gave a talk on angels a few conferences ago so that might also be helpful. I'm an angel to some people as are you to others. But I am a mortal. The D&C 129 also teaches what angels there are that are not mortal man. D&C 130 briefly teaches that angels will only minister to this Earth if they have lived or will live on the Earth.

So if Adam was a spirit before this world, then came down was given a body lived here then died, was in the spirit world until Christ was resurrected, and since has a body; then his ministerings apart from being mortal on the earth could be classified as an angel because of the different things he has done but yet, he has had a body, also not had a body.

Another interesting point, the hebrew word for angel also means messenger. Angels carry messages, whether it is one of love or comfort, or if it is verbally giving one, or serving or helping others demonstrating the capacity of our Heavenly Father to reach us and care for us.

I'm also really tired right now so I am not reading back over this to see if the ideas are completed so if it doesn't make sense, just ask me what doesn't.

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the whole Michael/Adam doctrine.

So Michael helps create the earth, when he's already an angel. Then he receives a body. But angels are glorified humans. So why is he getting a physical body again? Or was he just a high-level spirit at that time? Was Eve something similar, or was she a regular spirit? If Michael become Adam, why does he only become an angel again afterwards instead of a higher being? Or was an angel, and then was taken back in time (because God is outside of time) to become Adam?

If someone could explain the logic, that would be amazing, because this is really proving to be a stumbling block for me. I don't think this was ever really explained to me, or else I just stared blankly and nodded because I was embarrassed I didn't get it. :embarrassed:

Moderator Note: Do not reference the details of LDS Temple liturgy.

If you have access to "Mormon Doctrine" by Bruck McConkie, read his explination of angels. I think you will have all your questions answered, but basicly there are 4 types of beings serving as angels:

1. Pre- existent Spirits (Moses 5:6-8)

2. Translated Beings (3 Ne. 28:30)

3. Spirits of Just Men Made Perfect (D & C 76:66-69)

4. Resurrected Personages - many scriptures and also insturmental in restoration of the church

not sure what is meant about the reference of LDS Temple Liturgy unless the original post was edited. Adam/God/Angel is not a secret.