You are an old Mormon if you.....

pam

Wasn't the Single Adults once referred to as "Special Interest" or something like that?

Homemaking meetings

Opening exercises for all for Sunday School (done right after Sacrament meeting usually)

Super Saturday (wasn't that what is was called when the MIA met to do scripture chase and other types of games?)

BYU meant only one school.

Didn't Fast and Testimony meeting occur on a Thursday night at one point?

Well, if we're talking really old, then your grandma was the 17th wife.

But how about you had the ward directory on paper, hand typed on a typewriter with lots of penned in updates.

You did a progressive dinner as a teen and learned proper table manners.

No I'm talking about what some of us in our lifetime would remember. Not going back to early history.

You had Seventies in your stake. My dad was one when every stake had them.

There were actual cribs in the nursery.

You remember when male missionaries went for twenty four months, then eighteen months, then back to twenty four.

I currently have a Seventy in my stake. An Area Authority Seventy, but still...

I don't remember wrist to ankle, but I do remember one piece garments.

My dad still wears one-piece garments, but he has to special order them if he needs new ones.

Super Saturday (wasn't that what is was called when the MIA met to do scripture chase and other types of games?)

Most stakes still do scripture chases toward the end the school year, and my parents' stake (at least) still does Super Saturdays. I did them when I was a youth, and I'm only almost 33. (My parents live in CT, and I lived in CA when I attended Super Saturdays.)

No I'm talking about what some of us in our lifetime would remember. Not going back to early history.

Pam, how "old" are you wanting to reach back? Things that I might remember, or things that my parents might remember? Or starting somewhere in between?

Oh, do stakes still do "dance cards" for worthiness anymore?

...Oh, do stakes still do "dance cards" for worthiness anymore?

This is just an observation but when I went to the Saturday night youth dances we paid one dollar for admittance and then enjoyed the dance until it ended at 11pm. Everyone always dressed properly and it was the 70s so everyone danced normal, nothing strange, and jiving was still very popular. When my daughter started High School she had a few Mormon friends (my generation's children) who would invite her to the youth dances and they were given "dance cards". The dances she attended had some serious rules, which really surprised me. Does anyone know the reason for the "dance cards"?

M.

This is just an observation but when I went to the Saturday night youth dances we paid one dollar for admittance and then enjoyed the dance until it ended at 11pm. Everyone always dressed properly and it was the 70s so everyone danced normal, nothing strange, and jiving was still very popular. When my daughter started High School she had a few Mormon friends (my generation's children) who would invite her to the youth dances and they were given "dance cards". The dances she attended had some serious rules, which really surprised me. Does anyone know the reason for the "dance cards"?

M.

We had dance cards even when I was a teenager to be able to get into the stake dances.

I don't know if I had ever attended a stake dance, just the regular youth dances.

M.

Our stake dances were our youth dances. The wards rotated each month in hosting it.

Our stake dances were our youth dances. The wards rotated each month in hosting it.

So then you used dance cards at all the youth dances you attended? What was the purpose of the dance card?

The youth at the dances I attended always followed a dance tradition where the boys would ask the girls to dance and also offer them their arm to take. And when the dance ended, the boy's arm was again extended and he would walk the girl back. Boys had their own style in asking but it was always tradition to offer the bent arm. I wonder if they still do that today.

M.

The dance card, in my era, was something you got from a bishopric member after a brief interview. They functioned as an admission ticket for all twelve tri-stake dances that would be held in the coming year. It made sure that you knew in advance what behaviors would be kosher during the dance, versus what antics or clothing styles wouldn't be tolerated.

Non-LDS dances of yore had dance cards, too, but those dance cards had a very different function.

If you remember bringing food to a pot-luck and then paid to eat it.

If you remember Elders serving a three year mission.

If you carried D&C sections 137 & 138 as an insert.

If you remember code names being used for certain people and places in the D&C.

If you remember the Duty to God Trail Award

Edited by Magen_Avot

Ye saints-they made one of those for Johnny Lingo?

That's how I first heard the story of Johnny Lingo. By filmstrip. And it was a big deal if you were the one chosen to turn the strip at the sound of the beep.

If you remember President McKay as the prophet of your youth.

If you know what The Cypher in the Snow is.

If the neighborhood boys threw crabapples at you as you walked to Primary on Wednesday right after school.

If your brother left on his mission by walking up the stairs to the airplane doors.

If you attended regional church basketball championships that were LDS ward teams. (We had friends from Oregon come stay with us in Salt Lake City so they could play their games in the finals.)

If you remember the temple being the tallest building in Salt Lake City.

If you shopped at ZCMI

If you attended Promised Valley when it was performed on the outdoor stage where the Church Office Building gardens are now and the lights of the temple were turned on on the last note of the last song.

If you never went on Trek and no one your age did either. ( maybe that's not so old.)

If the priests in your ward went on a church sponsored adventure to Mexico. Twice.

If you took the sacrament twice each Sunday.

the 2 1/2 year missions were foreign language missions. The extra 1/2 year was to learn the language.

I believe you're mistaken. My dad served 2½ years in Liverpool, and he was a native English speaker (as long as you consider Arizonan and Utahn to be English).

....there were only 1, 2, or 3 sets of 70's

..... you kissed wife and kids goodbye and went on a mission.

.... your family history was on microfiche.

.... your baptism certificate was from a typewriter.

.... you had to go to salt lake to see general conference.

..... you had to wait for a magazine to come to get the home or visit teaching message for the month.

.... you could not get answers to this question via computer.