You are an old Mormon if you.....

pam

I believe you're mistaken. My dad served 2½ years in Liverpool, and he was a native English speaker (as long as you consider Arizonan and Utahn to be English).

Perhaps I am wrong - what year was your father called, was he originally called to Liverpool, England for 2 1/2 hears and not later extended an extra 1/2 year?

The Traveler

Perhaps I am wrong - what year was your father called, was he originally called to Liverpool, England for 2 1/2 hears and not later extended an extra 1/2 year?

The Traveler

Yes, correct. Early 1950s, called for 2.5 years.

Anyone remember when the Quorum of Twelve Apostles was usually called the Council of the Twelve? Not sure why the shift in name, but when I was very young, that used to be common.

Anyone remember when the Church Patriarch (died about seven months ago, at age 105 or so, by the way) was named and sustained as a General Authority in General and stake conferences?

Anyone remember Assistants to the Twelve?

When did that change? :( I was so sad when I discovered that. And I loved all of the songs! "The Lord needs valiant servants..."

IIRC it used to be Sunbeams, Star-A, Star-B, CTR-A, CTR-B, Valiant-A, Valiant-B, and Blazer-A and Blazer-B (for boys) and Merrie Miss-A and Merrie Miss-B (for girls). Now it's just Sunbeams, CTR 4-7, and Valiant 8-11.

IIRC it used to be Sunbeams, Star-A, Star-B, CTR-A, CTR-B, Valiant-A, Valiant-B, and Blazer-A and Blazer-B (for boys) and Merrie Miss-A and Merrie Miss-B (for girls). Now it's just Sunbeams, CTR 4-7, and Valiant 8-11.

Ya, that's what I remember too, and I remember there being times in Primary where we would do little "competitions" to see which class could sing their song the best/loudest during singing time. The Sunbeams usually won. :lol:

Some former Primary class names that I remember: Moonbeams, Firelights, Gaynotes, MerriMiss, Trekkers, and Targeteers.

I remember when the Ensign was called The Improvement Era. I remember there used to be a Relief Society Magazine. The Friend was called The Children's Friend.

I remember ZCMI.

If you remember attending M Men and Gleaners when you were single.

If you taught or attended junior Sunday School.

If you learned a new hymn in Sunday School during practice time in opening exercises.

If you gave a 3 minute talk in Sunday School opening exercises.

If you went to Relief Society classes on weekday mornings and attended classes that were called cultural refinement, homemaking, mother education, or social relations.

If you attended or taught Primary in the middle of the week after school.

If you attended or took part in a visiting teaching program by Janice Kapp Perry called "Only A Visiting Teacher"

There are probably many more, but that's all I can think of for now.

Yes, correct. Early 1950s, called for 2.5 years.

You have my interest - What can you tell us about mission calls during this era. I personally was quite youthful during this time but even so I do not remember mission calls to English speaking missions as having a 2 1/2 year duration as the standard. Perhaps you father can add significant light to what was going on, how long this circumstance lasted and what some of the thinking was at the time - among the members and missionaries.

Thanks for bringing this moment of "unique" history to a place that we (or at least me) can see it more clearly.

The Traveler

You have my interest - What can you tell us about mission calls during this era. I personally was quite youthful during this time but even so I do not remember mission calls to English speaking missions as having a 2 1/2 year duration as the standard. Perhaps you father can add significant light to what was going on, how long this circumstance lasted and what some of the thinking was at the time - among the members and missionaries.

Thanks for bringing this moment of "unique" history to a place that we (or at least me) can see it more clearly.

The Traveler

Sorry, I don't know much of a general nature, and Dad died almost three years ago, so I can't ask him. I assume his experience was typical for men of the early 1950s. He was called to Liverpool at 19 or possibly 20 and served for two and a half years, serving an honorable but (so far as I know) undistinguished mission. That's really about all I know, although a few years before his death he mentioned to me in passing that he served with Stephen Covey and knew him very slightly.

My dad did a 2.5 year mission to Mexico. Despite today's amazing growth in Latin America and with Spanish speakers, he didn't baptize a single person. Years later, shortly after my father passed away, my mom met a young woman at a Stake function in Utah county. After a bit of discussion, they realized that my father had taught her family the gospel when she was a young child living in Mexico. They were long time investigators but never were baptized as far as he knew. Well, forty years later, and the entire family lives in Utah as active Latter-day Saints.