Divine Role of Women

gem2477

Hidden

LOL yes you guys do. I have multiple stories I could share. We got a new bishopric. Our new second councilor said that he was going to have to watch himself to make sure that he doesn't treat us like children. That shouldn't be a problem at all if we were treated like adulits, married or not.

There, there, Gem. Calm yourself down, sweetie. You're getting all hysterical. Get a nice cup of warm cocoa, snuggle up on the couch, and let us men handle all the hard stuff.

They have an amazing ability to put in motherhood / marriage / homemaking into it, whether it has anything to do with the topic. Believe me.

You haven't had a lesson where teachers talk about something different? There are also weeks where the RS Presidency choose and which they don't use the manual.

Sometimes. We have the '5th Sunday' lessons that are usually based on Gen. Conference talks. Last Sunday we had a lesson devoted entirely to Visiting Teaching - and I don't think motherhood came up even once.

Of course women with children might use their personal experiences to explain concepts from the lesson materials, but I also hear single, unmarried, divorced, single parent, foster parents, widowed, childless and married women do the same.

Why would you expect anything different? If you've ever taught a class at church, have you used your personal experience or testimony to highlight how we can apply a certain principle to our lives?

• 1 month later...
Well, I've never been taught anything I could use in the real world, like education, job help, basic skills, etc. in RS. All of it is about motherhood and being a wife. It makes me not want to go to a family ward when I am too old for the singles ward. It would be too hard for me. I couldn't be able to take being infantisized by the older ladies cause I am not married, either.

Gem I can SO relate to your comment. I'm not a mother. I take care of my home, but my husband is not a member and is (at times) antagonistic to my faith. Outlets with other single women in my ward? None. RS is it, and leaves me feeling left out week after week. I joined the church 3 years ago and nothing has changed on this particular front.

Don't assume I'm complaining. It is what it is. I still love my church, and my ward.

Gem I can SO relate to your comment. I'm not a mother. I take care of my home, but my husband is not a member and is (at times) antagonistic to my faith. Outlets with other single women in my ward? None. RS is it, and leaves me feeling left out week after week. I joined the church 3 years ago and nothing has changed on this particular front.

Don't assume I'm complaining. It is what it is. I still love my church, and my ward.

This really all depends on the demographics of your RS membership. In my ward, our RS membership is pretty diverse - our old RS President was a single woman in her mid-50's. We have several single women that got aged-out of the singles ward, married women without children, married women with young children, married women with teen-agers, empty nesters, and elderly. We have several families that have grandma, daughter, and grandaughter in RS. Therefore, our lessons tend to reflect the comments made by the membership which varies greatly.

If most of the membership is married women with young children, a lot of the lesson will naturally revolve around motherhood because that's most of the members' experiences. The only way that will change is if the single women contribute to the lesson. Because, RS is not a "I'm just gonna sit here and be spoon fed my lesson" environment. It is supposed to be a SOCIETY - where every member contribute to the lesson so everybody shares in each other's experiences in applying the gospel to their own lives.