Can gossip be anonymous?

Dravin

Some fun quotations I found about gossip:

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me." (Alice Roosevelt Longworth)

"I never gossip. I observe. And then relay my observations to practically everyone." (Gail Carriger)

"It’s not technically gossip if you start your sentence with 'I'm really concerned about ___' (fill in the name of the person you’re not gossiping about)." (Brian P. Cleary)

"Be warned: A person content to sit with you and criticize others will speak critically of you out of earshot." (Richelle E. Goodrich)

Some fun quotations I found about gossip:

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me." (Alice Roosevelt Longworth)

"I never gossip. I observe. And then relay my observations to practically everyone." (Gail Carriger)

"It’s not technically gossip if you start your sentence with 'I'm really concerned about ___' (fill in the name of the person you’re not gossiping about)." (Brian P. Cleary)

"Be warned: A person content to sit with you and criticize others will speak critically of you out of earshot." (Richelle E. Goodrich)

Ha!

Down south, there's an "out" called BHH.

You can say the meanest, nastiest, most horrible things about a person, then add Bless Her Heart, or Bless His Heart at the end of it... And it *poof* erases how completely inappropriate and awful what one said. Or start at the beginning, if you want others to join in your rant.

It's reserved for worse than gossip, though. Pure muckraking.

Down south, there's an "out" called BHH.

Yes, I am from Texas and have heard that often. It's very useful.

I had a good friend who used the phrase "Can I tell you in a caring and sharing way...?" as a preface to some of the deadliest insults I've ever heard. E.g., "Can I tell you in a caring and sharing way that you are the sloppiest eater I've ever seen and that nobody wants to sit next to you in a restaurant and listen to your slurps and watch food dribbling down your chin and throat?"

Yes, I am from Texas and have heard that often. It's very useful.

I had a good friend who used the phrase "Can I tell you in a caring and sharing way...?" as a preface to some of the deadliest insults I've ever heard. E.g., "Can I tell you in a caring and sharing way that you are the sloppiest eater I've ever seen and that nobody wants to sit next to you in a restaurant and listen to your slurps and watch food dribbling down your chin and throat?"

And why is that useful? A hit is still a hit whether it is a fist or a velvet covered fist. I've never understood why it's ok for someone to insult another as long as they couch it as "bless her heart" or "that's lovely" or whatever stupid sayings one uses to "cover" the insult.

And why is that useful? A hit is still a hit whether it is a fist or a velvet covered fist. I've never understood why it's ok for someone to insult another as long as they couch it as "bless her heart" or "that's lovely" or whatever stupid sayings one uses to "cover" the insult.

I was talking about its use in general for difficult situations, not specifically about its misuse for sugar-coating insults. Sometimes you may be describing a person with cold, unflattering facts that leave your listener wondering what you think about the person. A quick "bless his/her heart" can be very useful for emphasizing your pity or sympathy for the person.

I don't think it's okay to insult anyone, even if they insult you first.