General Women's Meeting to replace General YW and General RS sessions of Conference in 2014

Jenamarie

First Presidency Announces New General Women’s Meeting - Church News and Events

The general women’s meeting will be held the Saturday before each general conference and will be conducted by the general presidencies of the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary organizations. All women, young women, and girls age eight years old and older will be invited to attend.

I guess my 9 year old daughter and I will be sharing a pew in the Stake Center come March. :)

In the past there was always a YW General Meeting that was held the Saturday before the April Conference. The Relief Society General meeting was held the Saturday before October conference. Now it will be a combined meeting basically for all females (8 and up) held the Saturday before both general conferences each year.

Edited by pam

Maureen, until this announcement, there was a meeting in March for young women (12-18), with mothers invited, and a separate meeting in September for the Relief Society (adult women only). Now, there will be meetings in both March and April, with all females over the age of 8 invited to attend.

Maureen, until this announcement, there was a meeting in March for young women (12-18), with mothers invited, and a separate meeting in September for the Relief Society (adult women only). Now, there will be meetings in both March and April, with all females over the age of 8 invited to attend.

I think you meant March and September. :)

8 and up? Was that part of the old Young Women's meeting? Because I would that thought that it would be 12 and up (like it is for the men)

It was. I think what the church is going for now is really a general meeting for all female members of the church, which would be any girl/woman of baptism age on up.

Well, not good news for me. I already hate the way the RS leaders speak in a kindergarten teacher's voice. Now, what kind of delivery and what kind of topics are they going to consider as appropriate for an audience that includes 8 yr olds??

The same as they would consider for the regular general conference sessions, which also include 8 year olds, and younger? (perhaps not physically present, but surely they know they're listening, waiting to mark their bingo cards)

I think this will be a fun new tradition for my daughters and me. It means I'll have to start actually going. My favorite one was this last RS meeting which I watched in real time at home curled up on the couch with headphones on. No distractions. It went straight into my ears and head and heart. But I guess I can give up "cozy" to be with 4 of my 5 girls. One of them lives across the country so she can't be with the rest of us.

Edited by carlimac

This is such a great idea! And while I was initially surprised they went as young as 8, I think this will be really great for those girls. I've worked a lot with this age of girls in the Activity Days program in primary and they face some crazy stuff these days. I think this will be really good for them and help them look forward to womanhood within the kingdom of God. I'm looking forward to it!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...