A Nearly Overwhelming Experience Today

M_T_E

Today I went down to the Portland Temple, after my experience at the YSA Ward I have felt more enlightened I guess you could say. My desire to learn and extra time on my hands drew me down there to possibly engage in a new lesson with one of the Sisters in the Visitors Center.

I spent nearly an hour and a half talking, learning new things and watching a video. The little 5 year old who is essentially my step daughter enjoyed her time as well. Before we left the Sisters walked me over to the Temple itself, we walked in and went through the lobby and went into the Atrium which is for the public.

I did not exactly know what to expect, but I got more than I ever could have imagined. I was nearly overwhelmed by the feeling of the Holy Ghost while I was in there. We quietly sat down in the Atrium, exchanging only some whispers, simply sitting there and experiencing. It was the most intense feeling I had ever had since I began my journey learning about this amazing faith.

My heart was racing inside of there, yet the weight of the world was completely off my shoulders. My stress, my worry, everything gone and I experienced pure serenity and peace. This has been by far the most moving time I have spent with Sisters at the Visitors Center and for once I feel in my heart that perhaps I will be ready to consider baptism soon.

I will continue to attend Sunday Services as much as possible, and I will be returning next Tuesday to meet with the same Sister’s to continue some more lessons as well. The future looks bright and I have never felt so enlightened in my life.

It's a monumental experience that every investigator should experience, and something so powerful that I wish everyone could go through. It's something that the closed minded and most devout members to other faiths could not ignore. Those with doubts should have those feelings cast aside after any Temple.

Not sure if all Temples have an area the public can walk into, anyone else with Temple knowledge want to weigh in? Kinda curious.

I haven't received a recommend yet (new convert) but I may make a trip to the Portland Temple just to sit in the Atrium after reading this wonderful experience. I can't wait for my first year to pass by so I can be worthy enough to go inside the temple and receive my endowment. It's such a deep desire of mine.

I haven't received a recommend yet (new convert) but I may make a trip to the Portland Temple just to sit in the Atrium after reading this wonderful experience. I can't wait for my first year to pass by so I can be worthy enough to go inside the temple and receive my endowment. It's such a deep desire of mine.

I live in Portland. If you want someone to go with you the first time, I'd be happy to show you the grounds. Be sure to go to the visitor's center and the bookstore.

I live in Portland. If you want someone to go with you the first time, I'd be happy to show you the grounds. Be sure to go to the visitor's center and the bookstore.

I'm actually considering going next week! It's a big choice to make though because if I do go, I'll have my little ones in tow (and I'll be alone). So I need to decide if I'm brave enough to do that. :P

Here I thought I was the only one in my area on here, guess not!

Normandy, with December nearly upon us the visitor center which is already awesome, will be very festive. The Sisters in there are pretty awesome as well.

Defiantly worth the experience going inside. I was actually down there again a couple days ago and went inside again. How much longer until you are eligable to get your recommend?

I have almost a whole year to go! The first of November next year will be when I'll be eligible (new members have to wait a full year). But someone did mention a limited recommend prior to that. I should ask my bishop about it. You can do baptisms for the dead with a limited recommend and I actually have a lot of family members right now waiting on their ordinances to be filled who are passed away. This is something I'd have to go and do alone (sans kids) though.

Maybe one of the Sisters in there can help me with the kiddos. I think I am going to stop there and go inside with the kids. I feel really drawn to do it, even if I'm alone with four kids under 10! :)

Edited by Normandy

I read this again today, not realizing I read it once before (old age will do that to you). Your experience has led me to think that I will strongly request that my son to come to Nauvoo with me. He can't go in the temple, but there is a visitor's center there and a lot of historical stuff to see.

I don't ask much regarding church (other than he go with me on Mother's Day), but considering what I do for him, I think he could go to Nauvoo. There couldn't be a holier place, a place more filled with the Spirit, and maybe just walking around and talking to the sisters in the Visitor's Center would help open his mind to the Church.

We went, but my experience was not at all what I had hoped for.

The Sister who approached us first was not very helpful to me and seemed more concerned with talking to the other Sisters. The very first thing we did though was watch the short film. Of course I cried about 6 times.

I was worried about the kids touching everything inside the visitors center. We didn't linger long after our photos with the Christus.

It was dark when we arrived and I had to use a stroller (which was hard because the Temple is not stroller friendly on the outside). I was heaving a double stroller with kids in it, up and down the stairs outside while trying to keep up with my other two kiddos.

We did find time to sit in the atrium. But the younger kids were oblivious to the "reverent" rules and I quickly had to leave. It seemed like a peaceful area what little I was able to observe.

It is days like this I wish my husband was an active member in our family and a member of the church. Instead I rely on God, Jesus and Holy Ghost to be my partners in life, to give me strength to be a mother (by myself) and to hold my hand when I feel weak and cry.

I'm hoping to be able to go back alone or with a friend sans kids. I had a great desire to look around more but it was 30-something degrees, dark, the kids were hyper and it was just not very conducive.

Edited by Normandy

It is days like this I wish my husband was an active member in our family and a member of the church. Instead I rely on God, Jesus and Holy Ghost to be my partners in life, to give me strength to be a mother (by myself) and to hold my hand when I feel weak and cry.

I'm hoping to be able to go back alone or with a friend sans kids. I had a great desire to look around more but it was 30-something degrees, dark, the kids were hyper and it was just not very conducive.

Wish they had a *hug* button. so, here I go. :bearhug:

The Sister who approached us first was not very helpful to me and seemed more concerned with talking to the other Sisters. The very first thing we did though was watch the short film. Of course I cried about 6 times.

I was worried about the kids touching everything inside the visitors center. We didn't linger long after our photos with the Christus.

It was dark when we arrived and I had to use a stroller (which was hard because the Temple is not stroller friendly on the outside). I was heaving a double stroller with kids in it, up and down the stairs outside while trying to keep up with my other two kiddos.

We did find time to sit in the atrium. But the younger kids were oblivious to the "reverent" rules and I quickly had to leave. It seemed like a peaceful area what little I was able to observe.

I am surprised at your description of the Sister's behavior. I've never encountered that there.

It is entirely possible to tour all of the grounds without ever having to use the stairs. I do it all the time as stairs are difficult for me. There is almost always someone on the grounds who can point the way.

The sisters' behavior is surprising to me as well. As an east coaster who prefers a 10' space between me and the next person, the way sisters and elders come up to you like they are long lost cousins is a little freaky to me. More than once I've asked the person to please remind me where I know them from, they've seemed so friendly.

It surprised me too. Our elders in our ward are not like that. Everyone comes with their own personality though.

Is there a way to tour the temple up close without using the stairs? Like I said, it was dark and it was our first time there. I was alone with all four of my small children and I was trying to find my way around by myself. There very well could be a way and I just didn't see it.

I also realized we never did go to the bookstore. Where is that located?

Edited by Normandy

I am glad you had a chance to go atleast! A bit bummed about your experience with the sisters. Every missionary is different. I have met some that are easy going and some that are very direct and to the point.

Sister Quent is who I have met with several times. Sister Melgaard is pretty good and Sister Heaton is very smart. Sister Friday was very attentive to a group of investigators that had come in.

Deseret Books I think is the name, I can pull the address and post it here.

There are the stairs closest to the Temple and the parking lot is the way around if you decide no stairs. There is almost always someone walking around that can help guide you too. I've been there about 20 or so times and everytime day or night there is someone walking. In the Visitors Center they can also help. :)

I never saw anyone walking around outside. I saw people coming and going from the Temple or to the Temple.

Is it usually a man or a woman or both walking around outside?

I am glad we at least got to go and experience it and I got to talk to the kids about the importance of it.

The Treasure Map they give kids required an up close and personal walk of the Temple. It included touching the temple and viewing it from certain points to look for the clues, which probably couldn't have been done from the parking lot (some clues were small). But I will remember that for the next trip I take with the kids. ;)

I don't remember this particular Sister's name. I do know what she looked like, but I won't out her here on the open forum. I don't feel right doing that.

Edited by Normandy

Usually there is one or two temple workers walking around, but it as dark so I imagine they probably walk the grounds a little less due to the cold and for safety reasons?

And she may have had a bad day or a rude investigator. I try to be patient, but even I get grouchy sometimes.

It surprised me too. Our elders in our ward are not like that. Everyone comes with their own personality though.

Is there a way to tour the temple up close without using the stairs? Like I said, it was dark and it was our first time there. I was alone with all four of my small children and I was trying to find my way around by myself. There very well could be a way and I just didn't see it.

I also realized we never did go to the bookstore. Where is that located?

Park by the Visitor's Center, cross the roadway, and go right on the sidewalk. You will take a sort of reverse walk around the temple. You can access both sides, and the back area (where the reflecting pool is). If you want to go around to the front, there is an opening in the fence near the reflecting pool, which will take you to an outer sidewalk (go left after you go thru the fence) that encircles the temple.

The bookstore is nearby but not next to the temple. I stink at directions, but if you Google the address and then Map quest it, I am sure you will find it.

Usually there is one or two temple workers walking around, but it as dark so I imagine they probably walk the grounds a little less due to the cold and for safety reasons?

And she may have had a bad day or a rude investigator. I try to be patient, but even I get grouchy sometimes.

If you go during nice weather, you see lots of people on the grounds. A lot of people like to walk the grounds or sit awhile after they do a session. There are almost always weddings on Saturdays. I spent the year between my baptism and my endowment going weekly to sit on the grounds or in the atrium.

If you sit on the grounds for any length of time, you're bound to see one of the security guys making their rounds. They're always helpful.

As far as I know, they are still giving tours of the grounds Sunday afternoons. The Visitor's Center and the grounds are open Sunday afternoons.