e-readers for scriptures

Mamas_Girl

Hi Guys!

Don't know if 'this is the right place' or not for this question, but... I'm totally ignorant when it comes to electronics. What with the recently released 2013 scriptures I am tempted to finally buy a large print Quad, something I've been wanting for many years. My husband suggested that maybe I might want to look into an e-reader instead if I can download the scriptures. After all the large print quad is $73.50 and a Kindle Paperwhite can be had for around $100, and if a new LDS book comes out I can just upload or update it.

Can the 2013 scriptures be put onto any e-reader? Yeah, I'm that ignorant when it comes to electronics. And it's the only reason that I'd be getting an e-reader. It would allow me to carry the scriptures all the time, just in my purse. I assume I can get like the scriptures, the hymnal, Ensign, and the like on just an e-reader?

Then the other question, can e-readers play music? In other words, if I want to hear a hymn, would I be able to play it, or do I need to have something more like the Kindle Fire HD for that?

Thanks in advance. I'm not tech savvy and even my cell phone is just the basic call in, call out, so it doesn't do anything. The KF HD is only a little bit more than the basic reader, and I was wondering if I'd want it for hymns. No sense paying a little for something and then wishing I'd paid just a little more and gotten something better.

As far as I am aware the new edition of the scriptures is available in digital formats.

I know that one of the kindles maybe the fire can play movies so I would imagine it could play hymns.

When I had a kindle I couldn't get church mags etc - but that was an early generation kindle.

Sorry I can't be much more help

It's actually a very valid question! There are many e-readers all with their various formats. Now if you have a general tablet running iOS or Android you can download the Gospel Library app, which is great for reading scriptures, plus it has magazine articles and general conference talks.

I have a kindle fire 2, which runs android and can run the Gospel Library app. But if it's just a straight e-reader (like I believe the paperweight is) then you can download the mobi file (kindles preferred format for books) from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints click Scriptures->Formats and Downloads. You can download the entire standard works in pdf, ePub, or mobi format. I use an application called calibre to convert and transfer books to my kindle.

I rather love using an e-reader, the one drawback is you can't put your books on the shelf to impress your friends :D

Edited by jerome1232

I bought my mother a regular Kindle a few years ago. She can play music on it, so I assume the new ones play music as well.

I got an Asus tablet and downloaded an LDS app that has the periodicals, hymns, Scriptures and just about everything LDS that you could want. So, if you already have a tablet, you can just look at the various apps and see which one appeals to you.

I got a beautiful quad when I was baptized, but I have to admit it is hard to read and carry and I use my electronic Scriptures (ASUS and iPad) all the time.

I own a Kindle Touch. There are old and new versions of the scriptures for it and hundreds more LDS books and artcles that you can download onto it. The Touch does allow you to load up hymns/music/talks onto it to listen to. It also has a text reader, so I can listen to any book, as well. I don't think the Paperwhite does sound, so you may not be able to listen to anything. Something to definitely check out.

For the ability to download things easily or watch video, I would suggest a Kindle Fire, etc. The e-readers do minimal Internet access and will not view movies, etc.

I am very pleased with my Kindle Touch. Sometimes I would like to have the additional abilities that the Fire has (Internet, word processing, apps, etc), but it does 80% of what I need and is terrific for reading books.

I love the scriptures on my phone (Android). Its called the LDS Gospel Library.

It has all: scriptures, music, general Conference, Magazines, manuals, videos, etc

The print is enlargable. Without my glasses I can not read the hymnal at Church, so I pull out my phone and 3-4 seconds later and following along on my phone.

I went from carrying 10 pounds of scriptures, lesson manuals, etc to carrying my phone.

I didn't like the scriptures on my Kindle (I have the original first generation Kindle) as you always had to go back to the index to get anywhere - not true on my phone.

Looking to get DW an IPad for her scripture/lessons, etc. I would say our ward membership is about 50/50 on regular scriptures/electronic scriptures and surprisingly (to me) that holds true for the older folks too.

The advantageous of the paperwhite is that it uses an e-ink screen. Meaning you can easily read it in the full light of day outside at high noon. The battery can last several weeks at a time. But you miss out on having a full blown tablet and all of the applications that come with them. Tablets however have a glossy screen that can be difficult to read outside, and have much shorter battery lifes expressed in terms of hours rather than weeks.

I find the Gospel Library[tablet running android or iOS only] application is built very well for it's purpose, it is much easier to navigate scriptures than when using an ePub or mobi file. ePub/mobi aren't horrendous, you just have to use the table of contents to navigate as mnn727 says.

I got my kindle fire for $60 bucks as a refurb, I think I'd prefer a paperwhite since I use it expressly for reading.

Thanks for all the great answers! I'm waiting now till Black Friday, in hopes that I can get one cheaper than the current rate. I called my bishop today and his son is an internet techy so if I can't put the scriptures on a Kindle my bishop said his son can, so that seals my fate! :lol:

It does surprise me how many people have e-scriptures in my ward, but then again... when I've talked to them about the e-readers and tablets they say how much lighter they are for the older folk, and how easy they are to just slip into the purse or back pocket. I know I've had the problem of trying to hurry sometimes and gather my books quickly and then the dreaded avalanche occurs and I need to squat down and pick up two or three books. And needless to say the scriptures always fall face down and open so as to potentially destroy the binding. I'm convinced that an e-reader, and probably now more likely the tablet is the way to go.

Thanks again to everyone for your help! Now keeping my fingers crossed that I can get my Kindle on Black Friday. :eek: