re: does your church have its ultraconservatives?

prisonchaplain

We have apple juice, too. It's more common than cider. Usually you see cider in the stores during apple season (September-November). But to tell you the truth, I don't think I can articulate the difference between apple cider and apple juice. America is weird.

We have apple juice, too. It's more common than cider. Usually you see cider in the stores during apple season (September-November). But to tell you the truth, I don't think I can articulate the difference between apple cider and apple juice. America is weird.

To my knowledge, at least federally as some state definitions may exist, there isn't a legal distinction between cider and apple juice. It's similar to how the term "natural" isn't defined by the USDA or FDA, where legal definition is absent marketing prevails. I suspect as a general nebulous rule, your average American is going to make distinction based on either filtration or pasteurization if they make a distinction. I will note that you rarely hear anyone talk about spiced/mulled apple juice, if you spice it up to make pseudo-wassail it'll get called spiced/mulled cider, even if it's coming from a packet of powder.

Edited by Dravin

Ok, we call the non alcoholic version apple juice!

Apple cider in the USA and Canada refer to the non-alcoholic non-filtered no-sugar-added version of juice. It's commercially produced pasteurized so it doesn't turn into alcohol. You can buy the unpasteurized version direct from orchards.

Alcoholic version of cider is referred to as hard cider here to differentiate it from regular cider.

But, what usually gets ultra conservative eyebrows raised is the sparkling apple cider. It's basically carbonated non-alcoholic cider that has the color and appearance of champagne and bottled like champagne. It even has that same fizzy taste as champagne. There's also the sparkling white grape juice that looks like white champagne. So, my mother-in-law gives us this bad look when we break out the sparkling cider bottle for dinner especially since I use goblets to serve it (my mother is very particular about what glass goes with what drink and her voice blares through my head if I use the wrong glass).

1. No Harry Potter--it's witchcraft

2. No secular music

3. No TV or no cable

4. No "swearing" (gosh, jeez, darn, etc.)...God knows what you meant to say by those

5. No sparkling apple cider in public ...the appearance of evil

6. No card playing...gateway to gambling

7. No dancing...it leads to sexual immorality

8. Home schooling, because public schools teach communism/evolution/immorality/anti-Christianity, etc.

etc. Maybe you can post others you've run into

Or, tell me how much more reasonable your church is, and that you have no problems like this :cool:

No but I wonder if perhaps are Amish in Mormon's "clothing".

Apple cider in the USA and Canada refer to the non-alcoholic non-filtered no-sugar-added version of juice. It's commercially produced pasteurized so it doesn't turn into alcohol. You can buy the unpasteurized version direct from orchards.

Alcoholic version of cider is referred to as hard cider here to differentiate it from regular cider.

But, what usually gets ultra conservative eyebrows raised is the sparkling apple cider. It's basically carbonated non-alcoholic cider that has the color and appearance of champagne and bottled like champagne. It even has that same fizzy taste as champagne. There's also the sparkling white grape juice that looks like white champagne. So, my mother-in-law gives us this bad look when we break out the sparkling cider bottle for dinner especially since I use goblets to serve it (my mother is very particular about what glass goes with what drink and her voice blares through my head if I use the wrong glass).

I used to buy that stuff and drink it from the bottle when I was out playing magic the gathering, needless to say I got some strange looks:lol: