Priesthood vs LDS Culture

gem2477

What is the actual role of the prieshood, and what is just the culture? For example, women never were asked to give prayers at General Conference. Giving prayers in meetings isn't a part of the priesthood, but for some reason it wasn't done. Women don't usually get leadership callings, unless it is with women or children, even though some positions aren't priesthood related (like Sunday School, for example).

Teaching is actually a Priesthood duty. Priests have a duty to preach the Gospel. Most priests I don't think understand that, but they still have that responsibility.

As far as the role of the Priesthood. It is to preside in administering the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the people of the world. Teaching, ordinances, and service all are ways it is administered.

The culture is more related to traditions which can be area imposed. For instance, when I was in the MTC we were asked to have elders give opening prayers and then sisters can give closing prayers. I was told the reason was because the Priesthood needs to start the meeting.(I wasn't told this by the branch presidency, but my prior zone leaders) That didn't jive with me because growing up we always had sisters give the opening prayers. So, I think some things get thrown around in the church without any real backing.

People need to go to the basics and pretend they don't know anything like a child, and then try and learn from the ground up and have real sources for what they are doing. Then when the Spirit is telling you something individually as opposed to what the general church body has been told in the past you will know the difference and be able to tell people the truth instead of making it up, or perpetuating myths in the church. I've tried to do this at times. And also ask people who have a lot more experience where some of these things come from. It really helps learn a better way to approach things.

Another thing, is why do people generally take the Sacrament with the right hand, or Deacons use the right hand and keep that arm at a 90 degree angle? I don't know the answers to these so if someone has an answer taht would help a lot.

I think it's important to note that unlike any other religion I know of, Mormonism teaches that the bond of marriage is vital, and the primary building block of the gospel. Yes, men preside, but I find it interesting that those men must have an equally capable and righteous spouse (at least from Bishop and up). It's interesting that as the covenants of the priesthood increase, the need for women also increases. Deacons are young boys so they don't have a female counterpart, but then you go to the highest most sacred ordinances of the temple, and women officiate as priestesses.

I also think that the temporal needs are generally handled by men, but as things become more spiritual, women become all the more important. And it's unfortunate that in our society, we don't recognize that women have the most powerful role, which is to raise children. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. Different roles, but both are equally important. And, despite the emphasis on the exceptions, the truth is, the large majority of men and women fall into expected gender roles. And the gospel unit of family is defined by those roles.

Another thing, is why do people generally take the Sacrament with the right hand, . . .

There are statements from Church leaders out there to the effect that the right hand is symbolically the "hand of covenant". We don't talk much about it now, but it's been a key to some very interesting and personal perspectives I've had about the temple ceremony.

or Deacons use the right hand and keep that arm at a 90 degree angle?

It looks sharper?

And it's unfortunate that in our society, we don't recognize that women have the most powerful role, which is to raise children...Different roles, but both are equally important.

Which is it? Is one more powerful than the other, or are they equally important?

Women have a more powerful role in spiritual needs and teaching children. Men have a more powerful role in the temporal needs of others. Both roles are equally important.

That is a very flattering comment for us women but the point made about men sounds puny in comparison.

Women have a more powerful role in spiritual needs and teaching children. Men have a more powerful role in the temporal needs of others. Both roles are equally important.

Do you truly believe that fulfilling temporal needs is exactly as important as fulfilling spiritual needs?

Why do you think we have a massive welfare program?

I don't think our massive welfare program is primarily temporal. Again, do you truly believe that fulfilling temporal needs is exactly as important as fulfilling spiritual needs?

I don't think our massive welfare program is primarily temporal. Again, do you truly believe that fulfilling temporal needs is exactly as important as fulfilling spiritual needs?

Why do I feel like I am debating a Pharisee? The Lord has no temporal laws. All are spiritual. However, the Aaronic priesthood was established for the temporal and outward ordinances of the gospel. So clearly temporal needs are a part of God's plan. But that really wasn't my point. My point is that women and men are equal to the gospel, even though they have different roles. Neither is made complete without the other.

Edited by bytebear

Why do I feel like I am debating a Pharisee?

I don't know, bytebear. Why do you feel that way?

The Lord has no temporal laws. All are spiritual.

Agreed. However, your claims was that:

Women have a more powerful role in spiritual needs and teaching children. Men have a more powerful role in the temporal needs of others.

You made the differentiation between spiritual and temporal as the defining difference between men and women.

However, the Aaronic priesthood was established for the temporal and outward ordinances of the gospel. So clearly temporal needs are a part of God's plan. But that really wasn't my point. My point is that women and men are equal to the gospel, even though they have different roles. Neither is made complete without the other.

This much I agree with. But your point went well beyond that: You claimed that "Women have a more powerful role in spiritual needs... Men have a more powerful role in the temporal needs." If all divine laws are truly spiritual, as you claim to believe (and as I agree is the case), then your distinction does not make any sense. In serving what you classify as "temporal needs", men are fulfilling an explicitly spiritual void.

This all seems pretty obvious, yet you don't want to acknowledge or explain it, but instead call me nasty names. Why do you suppose that is?

What is the actual role of the prieshood, and what is just the culture? For example, women never were asked to give prayers at General Conference. Giving prayers in meetings isn't a part of the priesthood, but for some reason it wasn't done. Women don't usually get leadership callings, unless it is with women or children, even though some positions aren't priesthood related (like Sunday School, for example).

I have no problem with Church culture. You want to wear a nice white shirt on Sundays? Beautiful. Want to be clean-shaven? Great as well. Want to wear a nice skirt or dress? Very nice too. However, are you going to deny me the privilege to pray because I am not wearing a skirt but instead I am wearing dress pants?. I have a problem with that, and yes it happened to me when I was a teenager, it was embarrassing to say the least because it happened during a Stake Seminary graduation ceremony.

MOE said once... (holy macaroni! I am quoting him like he's a GA!) that "the way we've always done it" gets associated with "the way it has to be". And that's exactly how I see it.

Bytebear's point needs adjustment...

Women's role is in the preparation of spirits from pre-mortal through mortal existence. Men's role is in the preparation of spirits from mortal existence through post-mortal life. And as temporal needs affect the spiritual, they both equally fulfill temporal and spiritual needs.