Typhoon in the Philippines

carlimac

Yes... My family and friends. :-(

Okay, a few weeks ago, a 7.2 earthquake hit my town. It caused the 2-story cement blocks wall of our neighbor's house to fall on top of our one-story roof. Everybody was ok and the roof, thankfully did not cave in. What we didn't know is that it is a blessing in disguise because then typhoon Yolanda comes along hitting my town with sustained winds of 190mph and gusts of 250mph but our house did not get much damage because the cement blocks held the roof down! A lot of the neighbors lost their roofs which caused flooding in their house with lots of water damage on furniture and equipment.

The town where my rice farm is was flattened by the earthquake. Not a single post was left standing on the farm houses. So when Yolanda came along, there was not many things left to blow away.

But between the earthquake and the typhoon, 2 tornados has gone through the islands and a whirlpool ripped up the fishing ramps. And the town, as usual, just put their shoulders to the wheel and took it all in stride. Now that Yolanda has passed, they're in this mind set of... Okay, that's done. What's next?"

From one of my facebook friends:

Update on the typhoon hitting the Philippines. This is from the Manila Mission President sent to parents of missionaries serving there:

Dear Parents,

The super typhoon has passed and all of our missionaries and members in the Manila Mission are fine. Thank you for your faith and prayers. The affects of the storm in the Metro Manila area were minor. The northern part of the island of Palawan w...as hit hard with a lot of downed trees and damage to homes. However, all of the missionaries there were safe and unharmed. We moved the missionaries we could in Taytay and Roxas away from the storm area before it hit.

We feel so blessed with how the Lord has watched over His missionaries here in our mission. We love them and are so grateful to serve with them. We feel of your love and support and the power of your prayers. Thank you so much!

With love,

President and Sister Stucki

Elder Paine Office Elder

Philippines Manila Mission

I know 3 people who live in the Philippines. One works for More Good Foundation and the other 2 are admins of several facebook pages. I've heard from 2 of them and they are safe.

I still haven't heard from the third one. He lives in Tacloban which was one of the areas hardest hit by the typhoon. We're hoping we hear something soon.

Here is an article from LDS Philanthropies:

Emergency relief for Typhoon Haiyan

One paragraph states:

All Mormon missionaries serving in the Church’s 21 Filipino missions are accounted for, with the exception of some serving in the Philippines Tacloban Mission. Before the typhoon, missionaries had been moved to areas where they would be adequately sheltered, and the Church is working to establish contact with Tacloban mission leaders.

My daughter was at a stake conference today presided over by a member of the seventies. He told the congregation he had been on the phone half the night with the missionary committee trying to locate missionaries in Talcoban. Apparently there are still around 65 missionaries who haven't been heard from yet. So scary. I just can't imagine...

Here is an update from the church as of 11 pm last night MST:

SALT LAKE CITY —

UPDATE (10 November 2013 - 11:00 p.m. MST) Elder W. Craig Zwick, an executive director in the Church's Missionary Department, reported this evening that, "Church leaders continue to make contact with missionaries throughout the Tacloban Mission in the Philippines, and all those we have been able to reach are safe. We anticipate that as we continue to re-establish communication, the remaining missionaries will be located and found well. We unite our faith and prayers with others in behalf of the people of the Philippines."

I have lots of friends that need assistance. My high school classmate, for example, has an injured husband, lost their property, and they're at a loss over how to care for their 6 children. I have another high school classmate currently living in their van. I'm not quite sure how to get help for them. I'm maxed out with helping my family with property damage from the earthquake that I haven't even paid attention to the ones needing help from the typhoon. I mean, this was bigger than Katrina on the heels of the earthquake and we don't have FEMA.

You can't help everyone as much as you would like to. There is lots of aid heading their way. I know in some areas it's been difficult to get it to them.

Right now I think what is needed is money to be able to get the right resources to people.

Hidden

A friend of mine's daughter recently began serving in the Philippines Tacloban Mission. Up until last night (our time) she, along with 16 other missionaries were unaccounted for. Fortunately at this time it seems that all missionaries have been found safe in that area.

However there are millions affected, thousands have lost their lives and most devastating of all, many of the victims are children who are now displaced and homeless. I don't know if you have been following news of the disaster, but the images and stories are simply heartbreaking.

International agencies are mobilizing to provide aid - but I know that my friends will appreciate any prayers on behalf of their daughter, the missionaries and especially the people of the Phillipines, that aid and comfort will reach those who need it in a speedy manner.

The church is also joining in the humanitarian effort, and according to lds.org newsroom, 200 chapels are housing 14,000 people, with food, water, blankets and tarps on their way.

Church Providing Aid in Wake of Typhoon

I saw them being evacuated on Good Morning America this morning! They interviewed one of them. It was so awesome to see them safe and sound. I am so thankful they are safe and sound.

I have to admit, I see how bad the devastation is over there, it's awful, yet I am so impressed at how organized the rescue efforts seem to be in this disaster. I don't know, it just looks more organized than a lot of the other disasters we have seen in recent years. God bless those people.

We just found out 2 hours ago that my cousin and her daughter's bodies were found today. :(

I have lots of great stories though... the resilience of faithful Filipinos are really a good sight to behold. For example, there's this bridge in my town where the flooded water went over the bridge. The water receded and there's many fish that got trapped on the bridge. People rushed to the bridge to pick the fish and was very happy to have fish to eat, praising God for all His many blessings... even with their houses lying in pieces.

Also, I see on CNN a group of children with bandages on different parts of their bodies playing together, laughing, and enjoying each other's company while their parents are lining up to receive supplies. The CNN Reporter asked them, why they're all laughing, and one of the older kids piped up, "Because laughter is the best medicine!", as he giggled endlessly...