Folks who remain active in the church, despite disbelieving or flat out rejecting some or all of the church's truth claims.

They are there for various reasons. Some lie to keep a temple recommend so they can attend their children's sealings. Some are activists who wish to forward some agenda of change by pressuring church leadership by the inside. Some don't want to let loved ones know their true beliefs, for various reasons. Some are just, for lack of a better term, ditzy fools who just figure that things should be the way they want. Some like the fellowshipping and community aspects of the church. I'm sure there are other reasons.

Face the Future with Faith - general-conference

Teach of faith to keep all the commandments of God, knowing that they are given to bless His children and bring them joy.4 Warn them that they will encounter people who pick which commandments they will keep and ignore others that they choose to break. I call this the cafeteria approach to obedience. This practice of picking and choosing will not work. It will lead to misery. To prepare to meet God, one keeps all of His commandments. It takes faith to obey them, and keeping His commandments will strengthen that faith.

• 2 weeks later...
Cultural Mormon - someone normally raised in the Church, usually living in the Mountain West, that attends Church just for the family/social relationships but does not believe.

I have lived in Utah my whole life. This is weird to me. I mean, wouldn't church be really really boring? Especially Sacrament Meeting? To each their own, I guess. Can't feel the Spirit at church if you are never there.

Hidden

Though I haven't been baptized (amongst other things I sometimes think it would be wrong since I don't agree with everything and have a weak faith overall in spiritual things).

I felt it would be wasting their time, a general thorn in their side due to the fact I do have a job where I can work on Sunday's and wouldn't leave it (not because I like it, but because there are no jobs in this town and the worthless 9 hours a week I get, min wage, is the best one can hope for)

I have lived in Utah my whole life. This is weird to me. I mean, wouldn't church be really really boring? Especially Sacrament Meeting? To each their own, I guess. Can't feel the Spirit at church if you are never there.

In places like Utah the Church becomes a significant part of the social fabric (particularly in the smaller towns), it's totality is not simply showing up for meetings and staring straight ahead. You interact with your neighbors, and likely friends, during Church meetings. Things like General Conference are shared experiences to discuss with your friends and even strangers. In places where the LDS population is large enough the Church isn't simply something one does for 3 hours on Sunday, it is something that has threads running through your life throughout the rest of the week. If one was so inclined to view it as such, 3 hours a week (or possibly more if you are accepting callings) is a small price to pay for access to a shared cultural landscape, and events such as sealings and endowments, especially given there are many ways to be in sacrament meeting without paying much attention. I think not being part of that shared cultural and social landscape is part of why some non-members feel excluded when they move to someplace like Utah, and cultural Mormons see a value in maintaining access to that landscape. There is also the aspect of avoiding familial difficulties by attending.

While the decision is a little foreign to me because I'd not make the same one, the reasoning can be followed.

Edited by Dravin

• 2 weeks later...

I understand how one might do this... Maybe because it is expected, or it has been their lifelong routine, or other. I know a woman who is very Anti-mormon but refuses to have her name taken off the rolls because it would disappoint her mother. Is this silly? Maybe.

I, on the other hand, cannot even imagine not believing. The gospel is my rock. But like someone else said, "to each their own."